I love my AMG - But what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My current dream list of replacements are:

• AMG GT-S (approx. 3 years old)
• Dodge Challenger Hellcat (approx. 1 year old)
• Jaguar F-Type SVR (approx. 3 years old)
• Aston Martin Vantage V12 Sportshift (approx. 5 years old)

Just need to find £70k lying around.

We'll have to meet up somewhere Jules, let you have a play with the Scoop. :D
That would be amazing Dave and the ultimate temptation. The early ones have dropped into the 40’s now making them very attractive, but have to say they have held value better than I expected. It’s right up there as a replacement

Been a while since this thread was active, so how have your opinions changed on what your next car will be? Is it still the same? Or are the goalposts moving?

Currently I’m thinking;

Head.....

Tesla (3P)
Mercedes EQC
Jaguar I-Pace
Audi E-Tron Sportback

Head plus a big chunk of extra cash...

Porsche Taycan
Tesla S P100d

Heart.....

Mercedes S63 AMG

Heart plus a big chunk of extra cash.....

Mercedes GT63
Porsche Panamera Turbo Sport Tourismo (hybrid/petrol)

EV has finally gotten into my bones....

Heart says only buy EV when I have to as it will happen but once it does it'll be very hard to have petrol again. Head says 18mpg on a daily is silly but then it would cost me loads to change and it's only an extra couple of grand a year in fuel than something else that still has decent power.

Conclusion is no change.

Forget the best or nothing, AMG or nothing.

Can't get onboard with the EV thing, soul less cars for boring people.

This on the other hand...this is pure theatre:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not the 1LE but this is something of a bargain.... got to love 'merican muscle!!!

On top of the purchase price its about $30k for the full Hennessey package for this car to match the Exorcist, 3ltr supercharger, magnetic dampers, enlarged stainless headers, re-profiled cams, new oil pump, new cooling pump all connected to an uprated 10 speed auto. 1000hp for the equivalent of £85000 on the road. 2.3 seconds to 60....

And sorry Tesla fanboy club, this is faster than a Tesla in every way....still. And cheaper.

Cue the Neanderthal insults but I can still cook on fire long after your iPad battery has gone flat and you can't order from uber eats.....

IMG_6248.jpg

Not the 1LE but this is something of a bargain.... got to love 'merican muscle!!!

On top of the purchase price its about $30k for the full Hennessey package for this car to match the Exorcist, 3ltr supercharger, magnetic dampers, enlarged stainless headers, re-profiled cams, new oil pump, new cooling pump all connected to an uprated 10 speed auto. 1000hp for the equivalent of £85000 on the road. 2.3 seconds to 60....

And sorry Tesla fanboy club, this is faster than a Tesla in every way....still. And cheaper.

Cue the Neanderthal insults but I can still cook on fire long after your iPad battery has gone flat and you can't order from uber eats.....

View attachment 92116

It’s a good call that’s for sure, but a bit too brash for me, I’d take an AMG over it any day.

I have warmed to EV cars, especially the Tesla’s. I agree that compared to an AMG they are no where near the same sense of drama, noise and spine tingling fun, especially the rwd AMG’s that keep you on the edge when driving. Speed wise then no Tesla would see which way my current AMG went. However, they are still quick, more so from standstill. Plus that instant urge in nearly all driving conditions is addictive.

I love my AMG..........but..

I get the instant acceleration of EV's, its just like mashing the throttle on the AMG, it's bringing supercar levels acceleration to the masses in a somewhat practical saloon or SUV body, but its mass appeal.

But just like the thread 'Do you get used to the power?' after the straight line acceleration what else has a Tesla got going for it? Dull styling (Model S is almost 10 years old), Low rent interior, cheap materials, dubious build quality (Camaro's are not great but they are blue collar as they come, its not pretending to be something its not like the Tesla is, i.e. a luxury product). There is nothing exciting about them once you get past the acceleration... its hardly a drivers car. They are also expensive.

I get the instant acceleration of EV's, its just like mashing the throttle on the AMG, it's bringing supercar levels acceleration to the masses in a somewhat practical saloon or SUV body, but its mass appeal.

But just like the thread 'Do you get used to the power?' after the straight line acceleration what else has a Tesla got going for it? Dull styling (Model S is almost 10 years old), Low rent interior, cheap materials, dubious build quality (Camaro's are not great but they are blue collar as they come, its not pretending to be something its not like the Tesla is, i.e. a luxury product). There is nothing exciting about them once you get past the acceleration... its hardly a drivers car. They are also expensive.
Fair points. But big bruiser AMG’s aren’t exactly track demons, so straight line speed is where they are at. Only the recent introduction of 4wd has given them more capability around corners.

Plus the Tesla Model 3P can definitely mix it around a track with cars such as the M3 and Alfa, I think there is a Top Gear video on YouTube.

Yes they are a bit bland design wise and eerily quiet, but they are a different type of transport that I am warming too.

Anyway, at the moment it’s the S63 Coupe I am leaning towards......

IMG_E3772.JPG
after I left AMG,I had 2 GTRs

Now I have the 991 TTS and my son has the GT4.

My requirements were 4 seats and fast

The TTS has the luxury of any big car with the performance of a stage 4 GTR

If you are a hobbit sized family, I can recommend :)

It’s hard to disagree with all the points you make about Tesla pal but what I would say is that they are the future and you should enjoy AMG’s et al in their current forms while they’re still with us because by the end of this decade I can see there being only electric new cars being released.

I understand the allure of a Tesla but they always look a bit cheap and nasty to me and put together by the Blue Peter team from the 80s with sticky-back plarrrstick.

I will probably wait a few years before considering one until more manufacturers bring them out and they are designed from the ground up which will take a few years of evolution.

At the moment, from what I've read, many current electric vehicles were probably going to be ICE or hybrid but were diverted to become fully electric.

Looks like I may go RS6. Love the looks, let the 48 hr test drive come

RS6 one of the only cars that can make a V8 AMG seem Frugal ...

Still popping about in my litlle TT RS but getting a bit "Used" to it...
2qEZsfS.jpg

I understand the allure of a Tesla but they always look a bit cheap and nasty to me and put together by the Blue Peter team from the 80s with sticky-back plarrrstick.

I will probably wait a few years before considering one until more manufacturers bring them out and they are designed from the ground up which will take a few years of evolution.

At the moment, from what I've read, many current electric vehicles were probably going to be ICE or hybrid but were diverted to become fully electric.
Bit brutal John, but they really aren’t that bad. The Audi E-Tron is pretty much built like every other Audi, the Merc EQC the same.

At the moment the S63 Coupe is drawing me in, but EV is just around the corner.

Looks like I may go RS6. Love the looks, let the 48 hr test drive come
Agree, always liked the RS6 and from my late teens was a massive fan of Audi and in the process owning 7 of them!

Reactions: HB
Agree, always liked the RS6 and from my late teens was a massive fan of Audi and in the process owning 7 of them!
You know, a couple of my friends have recently leased A6s. Both of came from W212s. They say that the these new Audi’s are not as good as a 212 , they don’t feel as well built and are over priced for what they are.

At the moment the S63 Coupe is drawing me in, but EV is just around the corner.

As we know we are headed towards an EV only future (in 2035 or earlier), surely now is the time to buy, enjoy and savour the ICE (and its unparalleled thrills, character and soundtrack) whilst we still can?! If not for the small matter of money, I’d be interested in getting the V12 S65 Coupe...

After my 204 C63 - mapped, quaife etc I got an M4. Quick car, looked the part and was quick. Too uncomfortable and engine was soulless. Recently purchased a 2017 Porsche Macan turbo, no as quick as the C63 but a lot comfier and more usable. Have to say, I do miss the engine - was a brute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom