I love my AMG - But what next?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its true I do love my AMG, what I have spent, and what is worth don't make sense.
I never used to speed, and was happy to plod along in what I had.
Temptation to floor the pedal is ever present and often done, a will of steel is required not to do it.

Recently I saw flash of light, waiting for a letter through the door, if it does comes I will trade for another plodder.

Porsche Panamera turbo s - face lift or the S63 amg coupe ? :)

I hated them when they came out - with a passion.

But with the passage of time and my age increasing, these are starting to appeal to me!

10 plate V8S can be had for around £20k...

I can't pretend that doesn't interest me now although I am aware Porsche calculate their prices by sticking a large multiplication into a calculator and constantly hitting equals for half an hour after.

I hated them too but in time it grew on me, love the facelift on a turbo s but the latest ones...... I’m not so sure about , maybe I need to give it time lol

I hated them when they came out - with a passion.

But with the passage of time and my age increasing, these are starting to appeal to me!

10 plate V8S can be had for around £20k...

I can't pretend that doesn't interest me now although I am aware Porsche calculate their prices by sticking a large multiplication into a calculator and constantly hitting equals for half an hour after.[/QUOTE

I am aware Porsche calculate their prices by sticking a large multiplication into a calculator and constantly hitting equals for half an hour after.

Isn't that the truth... One of the cars I'd be tempted away from the W204 C63 is a 991/992 Carrera S, GTS or turbo, but sadly the prices are insane. £110k now for a lightly optioned C2S! Plus brexit tax.

I noticed my local BMW dealer is doing £20k+ off the new M5 competition (making it 79k). Lovely car, but perhaps a bit big and eye watering depreciation. Same with the E63S.

Facelifted C63S with the 9 speed MCT etc looks great but I've got a sneaky feeling the sound has been muted due to the new petrol particulate filter.

So... while I continue contemplating my next car (it's been 7 years so far!), I'll keep enjoying my C63 :)

First time I've noticed this great thread and just caught up on it all. Very interesting to get liked minded folks pre and post purchase opinions.

Pretty much all the cars mentioned I've either had or thought about in the decision making process.

I really wanted a CLS55 after coming out of a QP and then the E55K wagon. Always wanted one and love the shape and engine. That SC V8 is a truly great powerplant and one of the best I've had.

Just wanted something a little newer and more modern at similar money or a smidge more. Couldn't justify getting into a later CLS63 money wise. Went for a 2010 XJL SuperSport.....love it [emoji6]

Considered many of the cars discussed here but I'm not minted and purchase then running costs will always play a major factor. Getting great VFM is always high on the agenda.

The E55K/CLS55, QP and XJL SS are such different cars and go about their business in such different ways.

All 3 engines are truly great engines IMHO and well used in their respective ranges. The Maser V8 is such a free revving peachy sounding thing. The low down grunt and torque of that 55K is so real world usable and also sounds great. The SC V8 in the Jag is again an epic powerplant but a bit more rounded, smoother more mpg bit of an all rounder. However not short on power!

The E55K is a heavier feeling old school brute. No nonsense typically Germanic. Good quality, well built and designed. No surprises it just gets on and does what it does and well. A little less emotion.

The QP feels completely different but a kind of flawed genius you have to work with and want to love to understand and appreciate. Can be frustrating and expensive but worth it all the same. Almost like a high maintenance Italian beauty. Pain in the butt however worth that pain. Complete emotion. I still have my original 4200 with the same V8 albeit dry sumped.....oh that noise! At full tilt to the red line it is beautiful.

The XJL feels so much lighter and easy to live with. It balances and sits in between the 55K and QP. Has a quality and plushness to it tilting to the QP and actually beyond. It handles beautifully and belies its weight. The engine has a 55K feel to it with over 500bhp it isn't slow. Has more emotion that the 55K but less than the QP. It is the all rounder that gives you a bit of modern, a bit of old school, a bit or luxury but also very sporty and engaging. It is a lovely thing to sit in, drive and be driven in. It does that as an all rounder better than any car I have ever had.

They are all quite understated and fairly discrete almost sleeper like which is what I love about them all. I like to go about my business in a confident, able but discreet and less shouty way. These all hit that nail on the head for me.

I'm looking at getting a Mini at the mo as I've have never had one. Unfortunately I've missed the boat on an original but happy with the next best thing. I bought my first Alfa and a Busso at that a few years back. Same again with a TVR.

Just starting to tick all the boxes I always wanted to. Guess I am hitting the automotive bucket list. I'm 46 now and time waits for no man!

Keep this thread alive [emoji6]
Interesting comments on the XJL, another car that I keep checking in the classifieds, quite a car and still look amazing on the road.

Interesting comments on the XJL, another car that I keep checking in the classifieds, quite a car and still look amazing on the road.
Been very happy with it so far. Go for it. You won't be disappointed......I promise. You don't many XJ's mainly XF and XE. Most of the XJ's are diesels so the SuperSport and XJR are not commonly seen.

One of the reasons why i most probable wont change the CL is the rarity. Have never seen another one here or in Europe :)

I think after my 507 I might look at a G wagon or a S63 (hopefully the s65 will have depreciated by 100% by then!.)

Just read (well glanced) this whole thread, nobody mentioned the,
Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Looks good, sounds good,
and you can get a really nice 16/17 plate for about,
25 grand, i like um, but I guess going off this thread nobody else does. :)

Just read (well glanced) this whole thread, nobody mentioned the,
Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Looks good, sounds good,
and you can get a really nice 16/17 plate for about,
25 grand, i like um, but I guess going off this thread nobody else does. :)

Nice looking car , as you say sound good, lots of tuning/customising stuff available, and a big enthusiast following with plenty off meetings if that’s your thing. I test drove a couple , manual box is very “vague”, never managed to find an auto , the engine felt a bit “agricultural” after an M156 and the interior feels what it is , a Ford. If it’s a change of scene and a big V8 you’re after it could be a decent option :thumb:

Yeah the interior's are not great, same with most of the Americans it seems. I'd have a Challenger if I had to choose.

Yeah the interior's are not great, same with most of the Americans it seems. I'd have a Challenger if I had to choose.
Yep the Challenger is nice, as is the Camaro, but one BIG drawback there only available in LHD as far as I know, so a no no for me personally. Not that I'm thinking about changing my C207, love it!
And if/when I do it will probably be another Merc.
Just saying the Mustang is a car I do like. :)

Yank muscle is a good shout, especially the newer ones. But not my personal cup of tea. I’ve been working on a new top 5 as replacements so will post up once done.

We'll have to meet up somewhere Jules, let you have a play with the Scoop. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom