I need a new locking wheel nut key, is it a dealer only purchase?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yex

SUPPORTER
Car
Hell Green AMG GTR, Range Rover Evoque P250 MHEV
I have snapped a few teeth off of my locking wheel nut key so I need a new one. From a search on here they are c£35 each from a dealer but as none are currently open is there an internet based supplier I can use? I have looked a at couple but they claim the locking wheel nut on cars after 2005 are MB dealer supply only so I'm hoping the knowledge on here can point me in the right direction :thumb:

I would replace the locking bolt with a standard wheel bolt on all wheels.

Locking wheel bolts generally cause more problems than they solve plus they are easily removed and serve little deterrent purpose.

If you wish to buy replacements then try Steven Jenkins : [email protected]

I have always found him quick to respond and good value and bought some parts from him about 8 weeks ago.

I’m sure MB locking bolts/keys are re-branded Mcgard ones.

There’s only about 30 combinations. In fact I’m sure you can buy a master set for not much money.

They only tend to cause trouble when they’ve been previously mishandled (eg used with an impact gun and/or over torqued)

If you can’t easily get to a dealer you could try somewhere like this:

Reactions: 219
Most garages have a universal key so you have to assume that thieves do too which pretty much makes locking wheel bolts useless. I would also suggest just fitting standard bolts.

If you wish to buy replacements then try Steven Jenkins : [email protected]

I have always found him quick to respond and good value and bought some parts from him about 8 weeks ago.

Steve is off work at the moment, there are I think still a couple of guys working in parts at Edinburgh, best to ring them.

Are locking wheel bolts an insurance requirement?

The original MB locking wheels bolts set supplied with UK cars is a dealer option, I.e. it's an MB after-market accessory installed by the dealer during PDI.

In the box you'll find a code that will allow you to order a new key via the dealer. But if you don't have the piece of paper with the code, then you'll need to buy a new set (because the locking wheel bolts set is not a factory-fitted option, the code won't be listed on the Datacard or stored on VeDOK etc.).

I had two original MB locking wheel bolts sets rust on my previous W203, so replaced them with a Febi locking wheel bolts set which looks much better and lasted much longer.

On the my current W204, I still have the original MB bolts.

The original MB locking wheels bolts set supplied with UK cars is a dealer option, I.e. it's an MB after-market accessory installed by the dealer during PDI.

In the box you'll find a code that will allow you to order a new key via the dealer. But if you don't have the piece of paper with the code, then you'll need to buy a new set (because the locking wheel bolts set is not a factory-fitted option, the code won't be listed on the Datacard or stored on VeDOK etc.).

I had two original MB locking wheel bolts sets rust on my previous W203, so replaced them with a Febi locking wheel bolts set which looks much better and lasted much longer.

On the my current W204, I still have the original MB bolts.
All the UK MB main dealers (and workshops of course) should have the master set, there’s only about 30 different keys.

If you need a new key and don’t know the code, they bring the master set out and work out which one it is.

No need to buy a whole new set. I suspect the cost of the keys is slightly inflated to account for the hassle involved!

As said, they’re aftermarket (made by McGard AFAIK) - but fitted as per UK delivery spec, and come in MB branded packaging with a ‘B’ prefix part number (same as other accessories - eg floor mats/roof boxes etc)

...If you need a new key and don’t know the code, they bring the master set out and work out which one it is....

Interesting - I didn't know they did that.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Given the freely available methods to get past locking wheel nuts I think I may just order a new set of standard bolts once the local dealer is open.

Interesting - I didn't know they did that.

Indeed they do, but when the parts chap brought out the master set and identified which one I had (I'd mislaid mine, and didn't have the number), I didn't have the brass neck to note the number mentally and leave it at that, so I bought one from them...

There are now several suppliers on Ebay who say they will match the key from either the number or a picture, and supply a replacement, for about half the MB dealer price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom