I need a word of advice buying approved used? C350e

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

greekCL

Car
Mercedes E55 W211 (2004), BMW 640d GC (2016), BMW 645Ci (2004), Mini Cooper D (2008))
Hello guys,

I received a call today so the finance etc is all complete, need to sort out the paperwork etc.

I will go to the MB dealership on Sunday to look the C350e in detail and pick up and points to be repaired etc, should there be any...

I have never bought a used car from a main dealer before, is there anything I need to look into etc?
I will go around make sure the car has no scuffs and scratches dents etc.

From what I understand the car has the 3 Pin charging cable and the Type 2 charging cable, I need to check about run flats etc... I take it?

The dealer mentioned they just did the Service B on the car (although the reminder was still on the dash for it, apparently it is just a case of reseting it) and also it had 2 brand new rear tyres fitted, I noticed them as they still have the colour lines on the tread, and they confirmed it as well.

When I run the VIN check it comes with the following, not sure what of this is standard and what is extra? The car is registered Dec 2015 so it still has factory warranty remaining, not that it matters much as I get a whole year from MB as approved used.

The MBConnect services do you have to pay a fee for them etc?

Parameter Value
05B OPERATORS MANUAL AND SERVICE BOOKLET ENGLISH
05U MBCONNECT - REMOTE ONLINE
06U MBCONNECT - BASIC SERVICES
100A IMITATION LEATHER
101A IMITATION LEATHER - BLACK/ANTHRACITE
117 PAPER CONTROL ROWI CERTIFICATION
197U OBSIDIAN BLACK
1P6 CONTROL CODE MARKETING
213 SPEED-SENSITIVE POWER STEERING/VARIO STEERING
218 REAR-VIEW CAMERA
235 ACTIVE PARK ASSIST
249 INSIDE AND OUTSIDE MIRROR AUTOMATIC DIMMING
255B MB MOBILO WITH DSB AND GGD
258 COLLIS.WARN. SYS. W/ ACTIVE BRAKE INTERV. FCW STOP
26A EFTI ELECTRIC MOTOR 50-80 KW
270 GPS ANTENNA
287 THROUGH-LOADING FEATURE
294 KNEE AIRBAG
309 CUP HOLDER
30P COMPARTMENT PACKAGE
335B INSTRUMENT CLUSTER/HU LANGUAGE - ENGLISH
345 RAIN SENSOR
350 MBCONNECT - ECALL EUROPE EMERG. CALL SYS. GEN. 2
355 PREINSTALLATION FOR NAVIGATION RETROFITTING
357 SD CARD NAVIGATION
35V SPEED- + LOADINDEX 94W+95W
3U1 EUROPE/CIS COUNTRIES/MONGOLIA HEAD UNIT
427 AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 7-SPEED
440 TEMPOMAT (CRUISE CONTROL)
448 TOUCHPAD WITH ROTARY PUSHBUTTON
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
475 TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR (TPM) HIGH LINE/MID LINE
483 VEHICLE DYNAMICS PACKAGE
489 AIRMATIC DUAL CONTROL / AIR SUSPENSION SEMI-ACTIVE
500 OUTSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR LH AND RH FOLDING
522 AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5
537 DIGITAL RADIO STANDARD DAB (DIGI. AUDIO BROADC.)
537L GREAT BRITAIN AND NORTHERN IRELAND
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
580 AIR CONDITIONER
58U ROOF INTERIOR TRIM GRAY FABRIC
5P6 CONTROL CODE MARKETING
5XXL EUROPE
611 AMBIENT ILLUMINATION
631 LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC STATIC LED HEADLAMP
666 PRODUCT PROT.F.TRANSPORT VEH. W/O TIE-DOWN HOOKS
670 RESIDUAL ENGINE HEAT UTILIZATION (MRA)
6P5 STEUERCODE VERTRIEB FUER CODE 475 ANFORDERUNG
739 TRIM PIECES - ALUMINUM
806 AEJ 25/1
806 *1 274.9__ 20111026 AEJ 25/1
806 *2 205____ 20110414 YOM 15/1
818 CD SINGLE DRIVE
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
876 INTERIOR LIGHT ASSEMBLY
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
885 HIGHTEN THEFT PROTECTION
927 EURO 6 TECHNOLOGY EXHAUST GAS CLEANING
968 COC PAPER EURO6 TECH. W/O REGISTRATION CERT.PART 2
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
A121 P VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY WITH VGS-500
A17 DAS 4
B16 EXHAUST TIP
B31 CHARGING CABLE BE 1363 (TYPE G) 4M
B33 CHARGING CABLE 7-PIN ICCA PER IEC 62196 16A 4M
B51 TIREFIT
B54 MBCONNECT - REAL-TIME TRAFFIC DATA
B57 KOM MODULE WITH EV FUNCTIONS
B59 TRANSMISSION MODE SELECTOR LEVER (AGILITY SELECT)
D5B No code designation available
DM3 No code designation available
F205 MODEL SERIES 205
FW LIMOUSINE
G295 TRANSMISSION VERSION 95
GH HYBRID TRANSMISSION
HA REAR AXLE
J81 JUNE RELEASE
J9A D724.2 VENTILATION B2
JVG PLANT CONTROL CODE
JVS PLANT CONTROL CODE
JVV PLANT CONTROL CODE
K11 ADAPTIVE STOP LIGHT FLASHING
K13 CONTROL CODE FOR SERVICE INTERVAL 25000 KM
K27 SOFTWARE CONTROL FOR FORCE-FREE IN POSITION "D"
M20 DISPLACEMENT 2.0 LITER
M274 4-CYLINDER GASOLINE ENGINE M274
ME06 HYBRID DRIVE 60KW-74KW VARIANT (INCL. PLUG-IN)
N2T EMISSIONS-TEST IN PLANT 67
P14 AVANTGARDE PACKAGE INTERIOR
P15 AVANTGARDE PACKAGE EXTERIOR
P44 PARKING PACKAGE
P49 MIRRORS PACKAGE
P54 THEFT PROTECTION PACKAGE
P65 ERGONOMICS PACKAGE
PXA CONTROL CODE MARKETING
R RIGHT-HAND STEERING
R01 SUMMER TIRES
R52 17" LT ALLOY WHEEL 5 DOUBLE-SPOKE DES. MIXED TIRES
U01 REAR BELT STATUS INDICATION
U10 FRONT PASSENGER SEAT WITH WEIGHT SENSING
U22 LUMBAR SUPPORT ADJUSTMENT
U60 PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION - ACTIVE ENGINE HOOD
VL FRONT AXLE HALF, LEFT
VR FRONT AXLE HALF, RIGHT

Nice.....

If you've never bought from a main dealer, new or s/h before be prepared to probably be pushed towards paint protection, tyre ins, interior coatings, warranties and other over expensive add ons
Most can be bought elsewhere for much less money (though warranty on a hybrid could be worth it)

PS get the sat nav maps updated as part of the deal

Nice.....

If you've never bought from a main dealer, new or s/h before be prepared to probably be pushed towards paint protection, tyre ins, interior coatings, warranties and other over expensive add ons
Most can be bought elsewhere for much less money (though warranty on a hybrid could be worth it)

PS get the sat nav maps updated as part of the deal

Indeed I was already asked about the protection etc etc... The only thing I am taking on is the TLC insrurance protection which apparently they will pay the receipt value of the car incase it is total write off after an accident. Kind of a topup to my insurance.

I asked about getting the latest maps and they mentioned that they are free for the first 3 years, so the car still gets them for free! doh lol

I shall keep looking what else to expect I guess :)

if the car has audio 20 the sat nav can only be updated by buying the new garmin/mercedes sd card (£80ish) as and when it is released it cant be updated via subcription as comand online does

if the car has audio 20 the sat nav can only be updated by buying the new garmin/mercedes sd card (£80ish) as and when it is released it cant be updated via subcription as comand online does
As w213... says, you only get new maps by buying a new SD card (you have 60 days to update that new set of maps to the latest release, by the way). You do get system software updates for 3 years, though. When I purchased my one year old C Class, I insisted that the dealer supply a new SD card.

Check with the dealer that they still offer 5 years warranty on all of the hybrid system. As it's a Dec 15 then ensure it has had the external temperature upgrade - they tried 3 times to update mine and I have just px'd it without it.
If you go through the previous posts you'll see in the early days there were a few (I didn't have any) problems with cabling and there was a recall. Just ask the dealer to go through the recalls & updates. This site seems to be a bit alarmist ! - MERCEDES BENZ C-CLASS Recalls - Vehicle Recall UK
I had mine for 2.5 years and 28000 miles and it didn't miss a beat - I just px'd it against a E350e

Check with the dealer that they still offer 5 years warranty on all of the hybrid system. As it's a Dec 15 then ensure it has had the external temperature upgrade - they tried 3 times to update mine and I have just px'd it without it.
If you go through the previous posts you'll see in the early days there were a few (I didn't have any) problems with cabling and there was a recall. Just ask the dealer to go through the recalls & updates. This site seems to be a bit alarmist ! - MERCEDES BENZ C-CLASS Recalls - Vehicle Recall UK
I had mine for 2.5 years and 28000 miles and it didn't miss a beat - I just px'd it against a E350e

Is the Hybrid covered with the battery warranty? (6yrs or 62500miles?)
They mentioned that the extended Tier1 Warranty covers everything like a factory warranty, but I shall double check. (this is when the 3yr warranty expire).

With regards to the outside temp, I shall check if it comes up on the main mileage screen, if it does then I assume it had the update. Thanks on that :)

I will go through the recalls website, but from what I read there are only very little numbers of cars affected in each recall in the "tens" hopefully not me lol

It is interesting, I have been reading the policy handbook for the Mercedes Extended Warranty. Apparently the Batteries including Lithium batteries are not covered on Tier2.
But nothing is mentioned on Tier1 at all.
There is no mention of no cover on Hybrid either, so no mentoned assumes that everything is covered.

Attachments

• Mercedes-Benz_Policy_Handbook.pdf
    395.7 KB · Views: 0
The entire hybrid system including battery is covered for 6 years/62k5 miles, but there are weasel words in there. Basically, they only warranty function, not a specific battery life or performance, so if the battery did develop an issue like, say, losing capacity, it might be a battle to get it replaced. If over time capacity dropped significantly, I can see them saying "but it still works" and refusing to entertain a replacement. There is one owner on here who is having this exact situation at the moment, along with a very nasty chemical smell when the car is charged, but at last report, not getting very far.

Given how important the whole hybrid/EV thing is becoming to the market, it would be nice, if naive, to think that MB might be keen to show they have confidence in their product and will honour the warranty if problems do come up. I live in hope of never having to try to argue my case.

The entire hybrid system including battery is covered for 6 years/62k5 miles, but there are weasel words in there. Basically, they only warranty function, not a specific battery life or performance, so if the battery did develop an issue like, say, losing capacity, it might be a battle to get it replaced. If over time capacity dropped significantly, I can see them saying "but it still works" and refusing to entertain a replacement. There is one owner on here who is having this exact situation at the moment, along with a very nasty chemical smell when the car is charged, but at last report, not getting very far.

Given how important the whole hybrid/EV thing is becoming to the market, it would be nice, if naive, to think that MB might be keen to show they have confidence in their product and will honour the warranty if problems do come up. I live in hope of never having to try to argue my case.
The documents contradict themselves kind of. The battery warranty document states only for the battery and charging accessories 6yrs or 62.5k miles.
There is no mention what so ever for the hybrid.
Since the document mentions battery warranty then if the battery malfunctions has to be covered regardless.

With regards to the Hybrid I would be certain it will be covered under the 3yrs unlimited warranty, I cannot see it being covered under the battery warranty without a mention at all about it.

I will need to enquire Mercedes and get the the documents specifically specifying about the hybrid systems.

Just to be on the safe side lol

:)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I think the ‘hybrid system’ may be covered as the * says .... during the plug in warranty period ... covers any technical malfunction of the associated plug in components. I think where it says plug in components it could be read to include all parts that the plug in system uses over a normal car such as the motor are also covered, not just the component you plug into. But does the * cover all the cars listed or just the W222 with the * - I hope all !

In terms of the loss of battery capacity I think that the C, E, GLE & S are not covered. They only have cover for malfunction which is a failure, whereas the B & Smart have minimum energy coverage stated.

I’ll be really interested to hear how you get on

I do have to admit, according to my experience of ownership when I had the Chevrolet Volt which is closer to a BMW i3 ReX than the typical PHEV, the reserve of the unusuable battery was so large, that it was not possible to feel or experience any battery degredation. I had bought the Volt with 21.000miles and when I sold it 7 months later it had 57.000miles, the battery was performing exactly the same as when I got it. I was charging everyday and also at my destinations as I had most of EV charging memberships lol :)
I would assume the plug in Hybrids such as the C350e is the same, the battery ECU is doing allocations all the time etc. so it balances the battery over time.

Based on some admittedly rough calculations, it looks as if we get about 80% of actual capacity, top and bottom 10% is “reserved”. Based on experiences with other cars, that would seem to suggest that hopefully we won’t see any significant degradation as a user....but, there are bound to be genuine failures from time to time and there was the one on here that looked as if usable capacity had fallen to about 3kWh rather than the 5 or so it should be. This was based on how much energy the battery would accept when charging from “empty” before it said it was “full”.

I’ll dig out the piece of paper with the hybrid warranty on it and post a copy.

I am starting to question my sanity now....I can't find any specific mention of the hybrid systems having extended warranty either, and I was sure they were covered.... Just looked through all the paperwork I received when I got it and no specific mention of anything other than the battery itself.

So, I think I need to apologise for spreading duff gen, unless anyone else has better info??

Anyhoo, the battery certificate.

Battery Certificate.jpeg

I've emailed MBUK with the specific question as well, so it'll be interesting to see what (if anything) comes back.

I went today paid the deposit and signed all the relevant paperwork, should have the car delivered by end of week hopefully.

I picked up a few scratches and a light scuff and some stonechips and one alloy has some damage.
They will repair all these and touch up.

We had an arguement of about 20minutes regarding the maps and satnav. They gave me the key and I was looking thoroughly around the car, I pressed NAV and it said no SDCard detected.
I asked them about the SDCard they looked for it and they said the car was advertised without Satnav and this was down to me to sort out.
Well I was not a happy bunny and I did mention I would expect an approved used car to come as good as new with regards to specs.
They mentioned it normally is a £500-£600 extra.
Anyway after 20minutes they agreed if the maps are not supplied by MB HQ by the time the car is delivered they will order a new SD Card for me.

I then came home and found the printout of the advert and it specifically stated Garmin Auto Pilot under entertainment, so at least I proved to my self I was not going mad.

Oh and the external temp is not showing when you have it displaying the miles, so this is due to happen and also the Service B was overdue, just need to reset this as the service was done as they mentioned.

I can understand I can be a difficult customer sometimes (Lexus dealership will totally agree on that lol) but I was not asking something totally unreasonable as far as customer rights go.

On another note I had the car running (battery was 8%) so it was warming the ICE engine, it did sound a bit rattly and noisy while idling from cold. But I assume this is kind of normal as Hybrid cars do sound tad different when batteries are on the low side and cold starts. The engine oil was as new, just been changed.
Your opinions on cold start ups?

Last edited:
Well done on sticking to your guns re the sat nav. My working assumption is that a dealer (or any sales person) will lie to support their position, regardless of facts.

Re the cold start, it’s my biggest complaint about the car. Had mine from new and it sounds like a diesel on cold start. Once warm, sounds OK but not “nice”, just a dull 4 pot.

Is it me or it feels like for ever...(2 weeks) sorting out things for a used approved car? lol
The finance was sorted they just needed a letter signed and send back to them, done this today.
In the meantime the dealership they mentioned they removed the alloy wheels and sent them back to be refurbished.
They requested a certificate for the car being insured... this is where I have a problem, as I have a trade insurance which I use for business use and also private use, all well documented. But they cannot produce a car specific certificate. For sure I am not going to get a seperate insurance just for this car. The dealership will have to work with their finance team on that and have them sort it out.

Noone told me yet, but I hope I will have the car by Friday, the dealership does not handout cars on weekends so I better be hopeful ... :D

On another note the CLS should have it;s MOT on Friday (I forgot it had expired I had the car sorn for a couple of months, too many car tax's the same month lol) Due to the weather the last couple of weeks I postponed it to this week. And by the chance replace the rear adaptive shocks, I have bought them since the Summer and have not got around to replace them yet lol.

The 645 has to have the front shocks replaced (leaking) and also a gearbox oil service... so this will be out of action for a few days.

I think it would have been more appropriate posting this here

I am about to pick up the car tomorrow at 14:00 .... however this is not set yet as they are dragging their feet at the dealership, in terms it is taking for ever I have to chase them up...
Sales person ... oh I have not sent the documents to the admin team yet, I said too bad as I am collecting tomorrow... and then he says I will try my best but I cannot guarantee that.
I am SO close to cancel the whole thing to be honest...

On the other hand apparently the workshop has done all the updates and still cannot seem to find the ext. temp.
Is there anything I can tell them so they can find the update?... (kinda take them by hand and show them) ??

I am a bit fed up doing other people's job, especially when they are getting paid to do the job.

MB Brooklands...I enquired about a C200 on their website on the Tuesday evening; received a phone call from a salesman on the Wednesday morning and agreed a deal for swapping my car; test drove the C200 on the Thursday and came home with it. Pretty good service.

On the other hand apparently the workshop has done all the updates and still cannot seem to find the ext. temp.
Is there anything I can tell them so they can find the update?... (kinda take them by hand and show them) .

They had 3 goes at doing the update and each failed. The first I am sure was Dec 2015 so I am surprised it has not updated if they have done all the subsequent ones. I understand the temp should appear when the speedometer option is shown - perhaps they are not selecting the correct display. Every other Merc and my current E350e shows the external temp constantly - the C350e doesn’t so hopefully that’s what’s misleading them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom