I need another track car, M3.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Installed splitter and canards, now looking for a suitable rear wing. As all 3 trackdays since installing the ludicrously expensive coilovers have been wet, I've invested in a sure-fire way to assure a dry trackday, I've bought a set of wets on wheels.

Peter DLM said:
Installed splitter and canards, now looking for a suitable rear wing. As all 3 trackdays since installing the ludicrously expensive coilovers have been wet, I've invested in a sure-fire way to assure a dry trackday, I've bought a set of wets on wheels. http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/p...0F55FE92-834E-474F-A003-2B7C7F853C15.jpg.html http://s1011.photobucket.com/user/p...BAAD0DB0-946E-4112-9E6D-8876DC6C6B0D.jpg.html

Cars looking great! Purposeful!

The front splitter is a great addition, what wings are you looking at?

Just waiting on my mini to be finished then I'll be on track in Feb!

I quote like the Varis rear wing, but they hellishly expensive at £1,600 compared to the more usual GTS style wing at £600.

Minis are great track cars for the cost :)

Have you tiried slicks yet on the M3? I haven't on my e46 yet, currently on direzzas but at 1k a pop it seems a bit crazy compared to used slicks...

DuncS3 said:
Have you tiried slicks yet on the M3? I haven't on my e46 yet, currently on direzzas but at 1k a pop it seems a bit crazy compared to used slicks...

Used slicks are so cheap... I used to run them on my 911. Best thing you can buy!

I'm currently running federal 595 rs's dirt cheap track tyres and they are extremely good!

No, not had a dry day yet. I now have race wets which are as epic on cars as they are on the bikes. I haven't got slicks though, maybe in future once I've sussed the car out on the AD08r tyres. Ex-race slicks are damned cheap for sure.

Preparing the car for Donington tomorrow, it's had an exhaust blow for a while which has been annoying me. Finally got round to sorting it today.

My stupid driveway has an annoying peak to separate it from the pavement and the car drags its exhaust pipe over it causing a crack by the offending clamp. A bit of welding and the addiction of a 'skid plate' over this area has sorted it.

Donington Park was wet again, this means that my guaranteed-not-to-fail- tactic of buying a set of wets on wheels to force a dry day..... failed.....

So wet track day #4 on the bounce. Almost wrote the car off just parking it as the paddock was covered in black ice.

Once the ice melted and the mysterious fog that descended to ground level for only 60 minutes had cleared, we were all go around 10:30.

BTCC wets work on witchcraft or something as the M3 was, by far, the fastest car there. The grip generated under braking was truly a mind-mess, to the extent that an M4 driver who asked for a passenger ride screamed and adopted the crash position when he thoughtdeath was the only possible outcome at the end of the straight at 140mph. This amused me.

I still don't like wet tracks, and am permanently uneasy whereas my mate Jon loves it, as can be seen from the videos below. I also know that I don't like lurid sudden snap-oversteer yet, as also can be seen in the video below. This is something I need to work on.

Whilst watching Jon out by himself I overheard a group of chaps wondering how it was so fast and that it looked like death, like Darth Vader's track day car. This made my day :)

You may spot it has a new personal plate on it. I gave up trying to find a worthwhile M3 plate so chose one that NordSchliefe regulars might recognise. VLN is a race series based at the Nurburgring and P1 is... well, P1.

https://youtu.be/bZ1ksM7hHaE

https://youtu.be/uPjjA0SJyow

https://youtu.be/lx04_-F2WR8

BTCC wets work on witchcraft or something as the M3 was, by far, the fastest car there. The grip generated under braking was truly a mind-mess, to the extent that an M4 driver who asked for a passenger ride screamed and adopted the crash position when he thoughtdeath was the only possible outcome at the end of the straight at 140mph. This amused me.

Brilliant. But why do I think most of us mortals would have screamed too. :D

What's the secret of those wets, I presume they wouldn't last a lap in the dry?

Last edited:
Brilliant. But why do I think most of us mortals would have screamed too. :D

What's the secret of those wets, I presume they wouldn't last a lap in the dry?

Well I also had a similar reaction when I was a passenger in the M3 of the chap I bought these wets from. I considered praying as I'm sure I saw god going into Maggots way too fast for the conditions :eek::rock:

They're immensely soft, cold custard levels of softness, and an intermediate tyre rather than the huge chunky treads of the full wet. On a nearly dry track it is possible to swap the wheels to the opposite side of the car so the tread pattern traps water to keep them cool rather than dispersing it and overheating and wearing out.

On a totally dry track they'd die very quickly.

If you are lacking confidence in your ability to handle sudden oversteer moments I can personally recommend a day spent with Colin Hoad from CAT driver training at Millbrook proving ground. Their "over the grip limit" day helped me no end. I've done plenty of driver training days where I came away feeling I hadn't really learned anything, but CAT was a huge revelation. After a very short while Colin realised I did not have the natural talent to accurately apply opposite lock fast enough instinctively so showed me another much easier way. Now I am drift God! (Well, nearly ;))

That's interesting Gaz, I may well just give that a go. :thumb:

I think part of the problem is the value of car I'm sliding around, I'm convinced I'd have kept my foot in and ridden it out in a £500 snotter.

Cage going in. The new seats are higher than the current one, for anyone spotting that the harness bar is a bit high.

New seats. Lovely Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit, in Carbon Fibre for a nice weight saving and tarty finish. Seat choice was very hard due to my size, normal seats don't fit at all so I had to try on many seats.

CobraSuzukaGrey1.jpg

You need a cash injection from some (hopefully) liberated pipes :thumb:.

Cage going in. The new seats are higher than the current one, for anyone spotting that the harness bar is a bit high.

New seats. Lovely Cobra Suzuka Pro Fit, in Carbon Fibre for a nice weight saving and tarty finish. Seat choice was very hard due to my size, normal seats don't fit at all so I had to try on many seats.

CobraSuzukaGrey1.jpg

It looks like you are going all out for a track day car. Where will you draw the line or is just the old slippery slope coming into play?

It looks like you are going all out for a track day car. Where will you draw the line or is just the old slippery slope coming into play?

No, it's just that it's current state looks that way. When it's finished it'll resemble this. It's keeping carpet, air con, iDrive, etc. It's a work in progress. :thumb:

That looks very neat and at the same time purposive full too, RS style. :thumb:

Brakes need extra cooling, so I've found a rather splendid solution of routing 3" ducts via a chassis mounted chamber to keep everything out of the way of the wheel and tyre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom