I need help/advice about buying this W124 Convertible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S9KSY

Car
1995 W124 E280 Estate
Hi everyone
It seems that my search for my future E320 convertible W124 may finally prove fruitful. :)
In this search, the awesome advice that you gave me in this forum was beyond my expectations and I am extremely grateful to everyone who took the trouble in giving their point of view, suggestions and recommendation.:thumb:
I have found a 1993 low mileage cabriolet from a respectable dealer in North London off Junction 25 of M25.
As I am no expert in cars, I would really appreciate it if someone would be able (or knows someone who is) to help in checking this car before buying it.
Although it will be deeply appreciated, I am not expecting a “free” service from the goodness of your hearts. I am more than happy to pay for the expertise, time and efforts, in addition to expressing my gratitude and a pint in the sunshine on me.
I need to do this before Monday. I may go with you to view the car at anytime in your convenience.:)

Last edited:
HAVE YOU SEEN THIS THREAD? http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/91189-w124-cabrio-depth-article.html

Can't help---- too far away :( but check for all the W124 weakness then add all the items peculiar to cabriolets--- in particular the roof+mechanism and the automated rear roll over headrests.Look also for signs of water ingress --damaged trim carpets seats these can be refurbished but water leaks can play havoc with several rather expensive electrical control units hidden about the car. Look for a well looked after car with an extensive documentation and continuous service record and check mileage from the MOT certs. HOPE YOU GET SOMEONE TO HELP YOU.

what is the price they are asking for it, i also warn you if u look in ebay there is non running one with suspected wire loom problems, good luck

Hi everyone
It seems that my search for my future E320 convertible W124 may finally prove fruitful. :)
In this search, the awesome advice that you gave me in this forum was beyond my expectations and I am extremely grateful to everyone who took the trouble in giving their point of view, suggestions and recommendation.:thumb:
I have found a 1993 low mileage cabriolet from a respectable dealer in North London off Junction 25 of M25.
As I am no expert in cars, I would really appreciate it if someone would be able (or knows someone who is) to help in checking this car before buying it.
Although it will be deeply appreciated, I am not expecting a “free” service from the goodness of your hearts. I am more than happy to pay for the expertise, time and efforts, in addition to expressing my gratitude and a pint in the sunshine on me.
I need to do this before Monday. I may go with you to view the car at anytime in your convenience.:)

is this the one with 79k on the clock?

its a nice car, nice sounding chap, was going to view it on Monday, but didnt get round to it.

is this the one with 79k on the clock?
Yes it is Boss.
A white prefacelift 1993 w124 320CE convertible, being sold with no reserve on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-E320-Convertible-Automatic-no-reserve-/260626111326?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cae86db5e
Although this car was registered on 1/8/1993, it is still not a facelift model. AFAIK, facelift was available 2 months earlier.
It could have been an old Mercedes stock or a cancelled order that wouldn't sell. Probably because of the less popular white paint and blue leather.
I spoke with the seller and he seems to be a straight forward guy.
He will not be able to show me the car until the day before auction end. The day I will be totally busy.
The seller tells me that:
Driver door has been resprayed.

He is not sure:
  • if the cruise works.
  • if rear view mirror is autodimming.
  • if the headlights wipers and water jet work.
  • if the rear window demisting works.
Aircon does not blow cool air.

A couple of electric seat switches are broken off.
Front 2 tyres worn but still legal.
The spare is not alloy.
Remote locking and alarm immobiliser do not work.
The seatbelts presenting arms do not work.
Otherwise, the car is fine!

How could you tell?
Is it from the front bumper? if it has the air-intake horizontal slots?
He says in the description that it has aircon but may need regassing.

It has 3 switches between the knobs on the console
Without aircon,witch is his pic
!Bwi-2WQEGk~$(KGrHqR,!h4Ev1+0EutFBMJfgdT4!w~~_12.JPG

With aircon
MERCEDESBENZE-Klasse-W124--medium-1767_4.jpg

As you`ve said ^ you can also tell by the front bumper

Last edited:
I like white cars but hate white with a blue interior. It's such a cold combination, fine if you live in Dubai or Las Vegas but IMHO a black or mushroom interior suits white MUCH better.

Why a black roof with a blue interior?

How could you tell?
Is it from the front bumper? if it has the air-intake horizontal slots?
He says in the description that it has aircon but may need regassing.

it might have air con, but it would be a button on the side, and this is cheap import kit with an on off switch, not the fully integrated version.

in terms of the air intake horizontal slats, this is standard. some cars had the slats on the front OS wing, but this was only on diesel variants!

in terms of the air intake horizontal slats, this is standard. some cars had the slats on the front OS wing, but this was only on diesel variants!

Only the cars with aircon has them,as for the wing only the later 24v diesel engine had them and that was for the airfilter

there are lots of 124 Mercs with quality aftermarket air con systems installed.

you can still get an integrated system installed today - takes 3 days and costs approx £1600.

I have decided not to bid on this one.
Too many uncertainties and faults.
I am not in a hurry and will wait until after the summer if necessary.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinion and advice.

I did not buy it at the end.
Auction ended at £6101.90
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260626111326
I rang the seller today (a couple of hours before auction end) and, thanks to your warnings guys, he confirmed what you already knew. It does not have Airconditioning.
He says that it was too late to revise eBay description.
Hang on, I am no experienced eBayer, but I think there is a way that you can add some information / correction if you really want to.
Oh!, and in addition to all the faults I mentioned in post #6, he also confirmed that headlight wipers and cruise control do not work. Still not sure about rear window electric demister.
All these faults in a relatively low mileage car described as "everything works well"!
What (personally) worried me most is the fact that a 17 year old car was completely unmarked and described as "there aren't even any stone chips"
Hmmm…!
A full respray?
But then, why resprayed?
Rust?
Accident?
Rough life?
I frankly do not know.
Anyway, I think the seller should be happy with the price it achieved!

I'm going to admit that I really really liked that in white, saw it but cashflow tight.

it might have air con, but it would be a button on the side, and this is cheap import kit with an on off switch, not the fully integrated version.

We had a mid-1990's W124 into which a previous owner had fitted aftermarket aircon. Loads of W124s didn't have it as standard at that time. I seem to think it was a well-regarded brand, but it was hopeless. It just didn't work properly when it was hot outside! :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom