I need help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
Hi all. Long and little see. Hope the old timers (and new) are well.

I need help as due to economic crunches it maybe time to sell the family Range Rover and downgrade to a cheaper car with no finance for a while...

This is what brings me to this thread. My eyes are being drawn to Mercedes once again.

I have a huge soft spot for Mercs and it took several painfully expensive cars to persuade me that a Range Rover was a more reliable option (it has actually). However my heart remembers my gold S210 e320 that was my favourite car ever...

If I do this it’s likely that I will spend no more than £2k, will be a estate and leggy.

Tell me it’s a bad idea (or not)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's about saving money then:

If you're a handy mechanic (suspension, brakes) go for it
If you're not then I'd look elsewhere than MBs.

Personally, my older MBs (10yrs+ and @100k-140k) are my favourites, very cheap the run and very reliable as long as you can do the work yourself. I recently sold my old 2002 E at 190k miles and it had never put a foot wrong in the 5 years I had it (bought at 140k miles). That said I did all the springs, bushes, brake pipes in that time.

Hmm does look good...

I’m still at concept of this plan, though it’s difficult to see a way to avoid at present. It’s all short term pain, but I’m confident will work out.

One slightly mad idea is a large petrol. I now have a company vehicle, and our own car as a result does only very local driving... it’s a tempting option...

Not a bad idea at all David. Hope things turn better for you soon.
This could be right up your street short term.
£1750 - Silver E Class 320 cdi 7 Seater Estate - 2 owners

Rog,

I enquired about that when it was priced higher a while ago, the bottom of one door is rotting, side mirror being held on with tape, various large scuffs etc etc... none of which was mentioned in the original ad, and neither of which can be put down to wear and tear IMO, rust should be mentioned and side mirror being held on with tape..

I’m not surprised it’s been for sale for the last 6+ months!

I ended up buying another one (the one you see in my profile pic) which was in much much better condition, but higher miles. It’s now a real minter :p

Last edited:
^ Fair enough Abs. I agree, poor bodywork and rust should be mentioned to save a prospective buyer a wasted trip.
If its an honest ad, nobody can complain.

^ Fair enough Abs. I agree, poor bodywork and rust should be mentioned to save a prospective buyer a wasted trip.
If its an honest ad, nobody can complain.

To be fair he did send the pictures showing this damage after about 10 emails. Not to mention it was a no go after that! He seemed to think it’s normal for that age of car, something I disagree with :) both my cars are examples why

:thumb:I've just gone back to a 2004 C230k petrol and love it. Cheap as chips to buy and still a lot of car and great fun to drive.
My advice for what it's worth - go for it, and get petrol if your not doing the miles

Things moved on quite quickly today... I did not want an Audi, but had a go in one that my dad was selling. It’s done a few miles, but you would never know it.

Best of all was an in family deal. Bit
more money than I planned to spend, but I’ve paid for far more of the Range Rover than I expected. Most have made some rare good decisions somewhere...

[Audi A6 Avant 2.0 Tdi S-Line Auto | eBay

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom