I need help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Confused555

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI Blue Efficiency exec SE
Hi everyone, My dad passed away last year and he owned a C220 CDI Blue Efficiency Exec SE, 2012 with 87000 on the clock. I am the executor of his estate and now have to sell the car but the battery needs replacing. I'm afraid I don't know the first thing about these things and am baffled as to which battery to buy. I will probably let the car go through a 'we buy cars' site as I don't live in the area and everything has to be done on brief trips between lock downs! I don't want an expensive battery as I'm selling it, nor do I want to rip a potential new owner off so I wonder it anyone can tell me what I should be looking for please? As far as I can ascertain it has stop/start. Thank you in anticipation. I'd say it is in fair condition although the paintwork on the bonnet and roof has tiny bubbles. Interior is beautiful. Has anyone any idea on what I should be asking £'s? Hope that's ok to post. The battery is my biggest concern currently though.

If it is the main battery, you need an AGM - expect to pay between £180 and £230. They are really difficult to get hold of at the moment! Varta F21 is the best bet. I got one recently from The Battery Shop @ £180 (01793421509) but they are seeing very few. MB Newcastle (01314665600 had stock at £209 + VAT + delivery

Hope that helps

If it is the main battery, you need an AGM - expect to pay between £180 and £230. They are really difficult to get hold of at the moment! Varta F21 is the best bet. I got one recently from The Battery Shop @ £180 (01793421509) but they are seeing very few. MB Newcastle (01314665600 had stock at £209 + VAT + delivery

Hope that helps
Hi, yes it is the main battery. My brother is telling me an 85Ah will do the job but they seem so cheap I don't want to throw good money after bad. I went onto the RAC site and using dad's registration number, through which they found his exact car and model, they recommended and Ah too as well as AGM they recommended VARTA BLUE BATTERY 096 74AH. This is why I'm confused as other places say it can only be an AGH or EFB battery and they may as well be talking double Dutch to me!! Thank for your response.

Hi, yes it is the main battery. My brother is telling me an 85Ah will do the job but they seem so cheap I don't want to throw good money after bad. I went onto the RAC site and using dad's registration number, through which they found his exact car and model, they recommended and Ah too as well as AGM they recommended VARTA BLUE BATTERY 096 74AH. This is why I'm confused as other places say it can only be an AGH or EFB battery and they may as well be talking double Dutch to me!! Thank for your response.
If you do a search, I has this debate in the last two weeks - and with Stop/Start using an AGM was definitive. Having said that I suppose a non-AGM may well work (guessing stop/start will not work in those circumstances) but note your comment that you want to do the "right thing" by the next owner which I commend. A lot of the online specifiers are wrong as I discovered!

BTW, I did hear that if you use a standard battery the car's "brain" needs to be told which would involve the time and cost of a visit to a workshop with STAR (MB's diagnostic system) I may be wrong on that though and others more experienced will be along shortly!

If you do a search, I has this debate in the last two weeks - and with Stop/Start using an AGM was definitive. Having said that I suppose a non-AGM may well work (guessing stop/start will not work in those circumstances) but note your comment that you want to do the "right thing" by the next owner which I commend. A lot of the online specifiers are wrong as I discovered!

BTW, I did hear that if you use a standard battery the car's "brain" needs to be told which would involve the time and cost of a visit to a workshop with STAR (MB's diagnostic system) I may be wrong on that though and others more experienced will be along shortly!
Thank you so much. I'll have a search now for your previous thread thanks.

Well if you are selling through We Buy Any Cars then a 096 battery will do the job it has to start the car ,through that site the car will go to auction so do not spend too much money on a battery

When you get a price from WBAC, bear in mind that they usually end up paying less when it comes to the wire. May be worth saying what they offered and someone may offer advice

Stop/start equipped vehicles came with an Absorbent Glass Mat battery (AGM) as factory standard.

The current battery will have a code number such as 096, 091, or similar, That number denotes a physical size so ensuring it will fit.

As for capacity (Amp/hours or AH) a matching or higher figure to the original is what you need to look for. There will also be another figure on the battery for Cold Cranking Amperage CCA, again match or exceed this figure but make sure it is physically the same size as the original.

Well if you are selling through We Buy Any Cars then a 096 battery will do the job it has to start the car ,through that site the car will go to auction so do not spend too much money on a battery
...and just to show how little I know, what's an 096 battery thanks? You are dealing with the totally uninitiated here. I've never bought a battery in my life!

...and just to show how little I know, what's an 096 battery thanks? You are dealing with the totally uninitiated here. I've never bought a battery in my life!
As in my post above, 096 etc denotes the physical size of the battery.

When you get a price from WBAC, bear in mind that they usually end up paying less when it comes to the wire. May be worth saying what they offered and someone may offer advice
Thanks for that. Yes I've heard the online price and the real price are very different and as I have a few days during which they hold the price I'll take your advice and come back here. Such a shame as the car was dad's pride and joy!

Well you ask how much the car will be worth,given you are selling at WBAC you will have course put the reg in their site and got a number,be aware that when you take it along they will knock that offer price down,I would suspect they will offer around £4750,and you will need a stop start battery which are more expensive.

I think that in your sad situation you just have to act in the best interest of the beneficiaries of the estate. To me that means fast and fair.
WBAC would be a good route. They are a subsidiary of British Car Auctions so the car would pass into the trade. The trader, not you, would be responsible for getting it to retail standard. As for the battery, go to your nearest auto factor or fast fit with the car's reg and VIN. Tell them you want a budget battery to get you going. Job done

I think that in your sad situation you just have to act in the best interest of the beneficiaries of the estate. To me that means fast and fair.
WBAC would be a good route. They are a subsidiary of British Car Auctions so the car would pass into the trade. The trader, not you, would be responsible for getting it to retail standard. As for the battery, go to your nearest auto factor or fast fit with the car's reg and VIN. Tell them you want a budget battery to get you going. Job done
Thank you for your kind response. There has been so much to sort out and I live 300 miles away. The last thing I needed was battery issues. I was hoping to sell privately but the longer this goes on and I can't get up there the less the car is worth so I feel WBAC is the best route before it's worth even less. I will take your advice on the battery. I take it you mean don't worry about getting an AGH battery just get one that will start the car? Someone mentioned putting a non AGH may clear the onboard computer and cause more problems. Do you know if this is the case? Thank you again.

I've fitted a non AGM battery with correct amperage and all is fine. I always turn off stop start but if I forget it still works.

Thank you for your kind response. There has been so much to sort out and I live 300 miles away. The last thing I needed was battery issues. I was hoping to sell privately but the longer this goes on and I can't get up there the less the car is worth so I feel WBAC is the best route before it's worth even less. I will take your advice on the battery. I take it you mean don't worry about getting an AGH battery just get one that will start the car? Someone mentioned putting a non AGH may clear the onboard computer and cause more problems. Do you know if this is the case? Thank you again.
The Engine Management System should not be able to detect the type of battery fitted. As long as it is supplied with a stable 12v plus supply it should be happy.

Is there anyone nearby that could remove the battery and see if it can be recharged? You could then possibly collect and drive the car down to where you live to make the sale process easier.

From your description of being 300 miles away, I presume either in Scotland or the West Country

I've fitted a non AGM battery with correct amperage and all is fine. I always turn off stop start but if I forget it still works.
Oh thank you that's great. Sorry for being a numpty but how do I find out what amperage I need? Thanks

Oh thank you that's great. Sorry for being a numpty but how do I find out what amperage I need? Than

Oh thank you that's great. Sorry for being a numpty but how do I find out what amperage I need? Thanks
It will be marked on the side of the battery but look on websites that can specify the battery required. They will state the AH and CCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom