I. P. Addresses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Simple question for the experts, can two people using virgin cable, from different parts of the same city, have the same IP address?

Not without it having been forced by using fixed IP, and creating a conflict, assuming you mean at the same time.

No not at the same time. Can address 1 have an ip address one day and another residence have it on a different day? Both using same ISP virgin in same city ?

No not at the same time. Can address 1 have an ip address one day and another residence have it on a different day? Both using same ISP virgin in same city ?

Yes.

Assuming it has been released by the provider.
Virgin use sticky DHCP, so the lease stays active when the router is off, but it will eventually be released and another user can pick it up.

Ok so what do the experts make of the following scenario.*

Person A and I exchange emails and I note their IP address by using an email receipt tracker.*

Person A starts receiving abusive emails from person B.*

I send an email to person B (using a receipt tracker) and the receipt comes back showing the same IP address that I noted person A had a few weeks ago.*

Is this possible from two different addresses in same city both using virgin ?
if so what are the odds?*

Or is it likely that someone in person As home is sending them?

Or could person A be sending them to themselves in some sort of sick way ?

IP spoofing?
Malware?
Hijacked wifi connection?
Or as you say could be another user on the same router 'in house'

cheers

Are you sure you aren't recording your own IP addy?

Positive. They are both virgin in Liverpool. I'm BT in Wiltshire.

Ok so what do the experts make of the following scenario.*

Person A and I exchange emails and I note their IP address by using an email receipt tracker.*

Person A starts receiving abusive emails from person B.*

I send an email to person B (using a receipt tracker) and the receipt comes back showing the same IP address that I noted person A had a few weeks ago.*

Is this possible from two different addresses in same city both using virgin ?
if so what are the odds?*

Or is it likely that someone in person As home is sending them?

Or could person A be sending them to themselves in some sort of sick way ?

All you can be sure of is that the email is coming from behind the same router at the end of that DSL connection.

Sure somebody could have hacked the wifi and it could just be another internet user but not only have they got access to the email but they have also got access to your email address.

The chances of anybody guessing your address are slim so it is looking very much like who you think is sending you the emails, is sending you the mails.

The only exception I can see here is if said user has a trojan/virus that is using his email account but then the emails you would be getting would be spam etc.

Best thing to do if these emails are nasty is to report it to the police and let them deal with it.

It's very easy for them to prove beyond doubt who is sending these emails especially as it sounds like the person sending them is a bit naive about how easy it is to be caught doing this sort of thing.

You sure your are actually recording the IP addr of the personal receiver, rather than a shared mail host?

ignore the read receipts which can be manually spoofed. Check each respective email headder.

Headers showed they both came from virgin in Liverpool. Receipts were via an email tracking service, so couldn't be manually "spouted" - I think.

I'm now suspicious that person A and B are the same - so I think they may be "sick" so really all I wanted to know is - what are the odds they ate different people at different addresses and both had the same IP address (albeit at different dates).

If it's nil. I will wash my hands of trying to assist them.

what are the odds they ate different people at different addresses

Cannibals?! :eek:

Paste up the relevant bits of the headers (redacted, of course) and we can see if that's genuinely the ADSL customer's end or the Virgin mail server.

Sorry for typos. Using an iPod touch so not the easiest. :)

I no longer have headers just the ip address. Do headers still stay if forwarded ?

1. Are you sure this is their Public IP as opposed to Private IP? The latter is likely to be 19.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 172.xxx.xxx.xxx etc.

2. If virgin are using Proxy (and I don't know that for fact - though some ISPs do) then you might be seeing the IP address of the Proxy. Proxys are mostly used for web browsing, not for email, but this could still affect wbemail users (e.g. Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, and even OWA).

Take a took at IP Address Lookup and see who owns the ip address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom