i Pod Nano (1st gen) reset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Does anyone know how to reset an iPod Nano? it has completely frozen have checked the manual and google and the reset procedure of pressing the centre of the click wheel and menu at the same time does not work, some google fixes suggest doing this under power but it still does not work, also i tunes wont recognise it in this state, as always any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ensure the Hold switch is Off, then toggle the switch on then off then immediately press and hold the menu and Select buttons, simultaneously, until the Apple logo appears.

On the Nano this is exceptionally fiddly to get right. Took me many attempts :(

Last edited:
ensure the Hold switch is Off, then toggle the switch on then off then immediately press and hold the menu and Select buttons, simultaneously, until the Apple logo appears.

On the Nano this is exceptionally fiddly to get right. Took me many attempts :(

Done that loads of times, get the apple logo it goes inot reset mode then after that just freeezes still.

Are you getting anything on its screen?

Yes after the reset procedure I get the head menu, the one where it lists the functions with "music" at the top but its frozen and none of the front controls work.

I recently had the same problem with an iPod Mini...

Given that the reset procedure doesn't work for you; unfortunately, it is either the battery that has died or/and the internal memory.

You can take it to an Apple Store (make an appointment in advance with a Mac Genius) and get a free assessment of what is wrong before reaching for your wallet.

In my case, the worst case scenario for replacing both the battery and the memory was in the region of £130! Instead, I bought a 'refurbished' 8Gb 4G Nano from the Apple Store for £85.

Alternatively, there are some battery/memory kits you can buy off the web to repair your iPod yourself - but if your repair doesn't work out you might as well have used that money to buy a new/refurbished replacement.

I recently had the same problem with an iPod Mini...

Given that the reset procedure doesn't work for you; unfortunately, it is either the battery that has died or/and the internal memory.

You can take it to an Apple Store (make an appointment in advance with a Mac Genius) and get a free assessment of what is wrong before reaching for your wallet.

In my case, the worst case scenario for replacing both the battery and the memory was in the region of £130! Instead, I bought a 'refurbished' 8Gb 4G Nano from the Apple Store for £85.

Alternatively, there are some battery/memory kits you can buy off the web to repair your iPod yourself - but if your repair doesn't work out you might as well have used that money to buy a new/refurbished replacement.

Thanks Spinaltap I suspected it may be the internal memory, just managed to get it connected to itunes though and perform a reset and update the firmware and software which it says its done but it still remains frozen. Will give the applestore a call in the morning

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom