I probably should of known better

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine would probably get me banned šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

It has nothing to do with dyslexia, unless you are saying that all those that abuse the language are dyslexic?
Please remember that without old people there would be no young people today.

Are you stating you could tell who has and who hasn't got dyslexia?

Doesn't give old people the right to whinge about their perceived superiority at the expense of others though.

There's no point to moaning about it, really; the stupid, the ignorant, and the poorly-educated are the majority these days, and those of us who know how it should be done, and do it that way, are easily drowned out by those who, for whatever reason, either can't, or can't be bothered to, get it right, and in many cases don't think it matters very much anyway, and over time the majority view will prevail. What has changed is that fewer and fewer of the majority aspire to get it right...

But then again, I'm old, so what I perceive as superiority is seen by others as unimportant. I don't much care what they think, and they don't much care what I think. We're both right, for a given value of 'right'...

Reactions: JHS
Mine would probably get me banned šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Itā€™s only recently that i learned that berk was rhyming slang.

it used to be used regularly on bbc sitcoms.

Apparently itā€™s a shortened version of Berkshire hunt. I donā€™t think i need go any further.

ā€¦.the stupid, the ignorant, and the poorly-educatedā€¦..
So the people in question fall into at least one of those categories?

Just because someone speaks or uses correct English grammar in one's sentence, it's doesn't make them a sneaky clean human being.

The so called well spoken being gets on the packets as well as other nasty unacceptable actions.

Correctly spoken or written grammar does not make a person any better than a person that doesn't.

Now, where are my Pepe Reiner's, as I'm off down the battle cruiser, for a few Brittany spears, and a Joe Blake. Hold on, what's the Harry lime, they ain't open yet, better get back up the apples and pears, and hold me horses a whilešŸ˜
Aha but youā€™re only supposed to say the first word of the rhyme!

my old Grandad was a proper cockney from Lambeth and weā€™d always ask him to speak Cockney to us. I try to use the odd word just to keep it alive in our family. But I have to admit itā€™s difficult not to put your own spin on things sometimes. So for instance Iā€™ll say to my wife ā€œ...Iā€™m just out to get me syrup cutā€. Of course a syrup (of figs) is a wig, which I donā€™t have. I should really say ā€œBarnetā€ as in ā€œBarnet Fairā€. Or ill ā€œget my whistle cleanedā€ as Iā€™ve got a meeting.

And to me the pub will always be the ā€œrubā€ as in ā€œrub a dub dubā€!

But then again, I'm old, so what I perceive as superiority is seen by others as unimportant. I don't much care what they think, and they don't much care what I think. We're both right, for a given value of 'right'...

Yup, one foot in the grave so you haven't got much longer to worry about it...

So the people in question fall into at least one of those categories?
No, not at all; that's not what I said. One group that plainly does not is those who suffer from conditions like dyslexia.

my old Grandad was a proper cockney from Lambeth and weā€™d always ask him to speak Cockney to us. I try to use the odd word just to keep it alive in our family. But I have to admit itā€™s difficult not to put your own spin on things sometimes. So for instance Iā€™ll say to my wife ā€œ...Iā€™m just out to get me syrup cutā€. Of course a syrup (of figs) is a wig, which I donā€™t have. I should really say ā€œBarnetā€ as in ā€œBarnet Fairā€. Or ill ā€œget my whistle cleanedā€ as Iā€™ve got a meeting.

Thank Gawd yer stopped before mentioning the Berk(ley Hunt).

Only a real pendant would point out that it's the Berkeley Hunt!

Apparently the Americanism "OK" crept into the UK language in the 1950s, no one bats an eyelid at that now. Languages evolve, for better or worse.
Weā€™ll just like give up on it then like innit - stop wurriin about noffink any more yā€™nah wot Iā€™m saying man

In my house we use the word "Gareth" as in Gareth Hunt. Not only do you get the rhyming slang but also the "NescafƩ" bean shaker action :)

Usually reserved for Audi drivers !!

Coming late to this thread, and reading the title I was just about to have a rant myself about the use of ā€œofā€ instead of ā€œhaveā€.

Fortunately I decided to read more than just the title...

Woah, a proper cockney from Lambeth ? Donā€™t think so. I was born and lived in Lambeth and could not hear the sound of the bells from there.
Sorry, Iā€™m not having a dig, but a proper cockney probably would. Absolutely right about only saying the first word.

In my house we use the word "Gareth" as in Gareth Hunt. Not only do you get the rhyming slang but also the "NescafƩ" bean shaker action :)

Usually reserved for Audi drivers !!
We use DFW's when out and about. "Dithering F-Whits". Mostly aimed at those poor souls who wander about completely unaware of their surroundings
Woah, a proper cockney from Lambeth ? Donā€™t think so. I was born and lived in Lambeth and could not hear the sound of the bells from there.
Sorry, Iā€™m not having a dig, but a proper cockney probably would. Absolutely right about only saying the first word.
Well he was actually born in Southwark but moved to Lambeth (Stockwell actually) shortly after, so technically he probably could be described a Cockney! Quite an interesting family story on his side, we got him to write his memoirs. His Dad was a prize fighter known as Jack Holmes of Lambeth, whose brother also a fighter was known as Young Snowball of Lambeth. They used to fight top of the bill at Bethnal Green Arena, winning a purse of 50 gns! My Grandad was a firefighter during the blitz and became a regional PT instructor. After the war he wasnt allowed to continue in the fire service as he was technically too short! Bit harsh. Thatā€™s when he started the family plumbing business.

Spotted this today whilst scrolling through the Sky EPG; I''m sure it's just a predictive text blooper, but I had visions of girls in white dresses and veils being barged aside by a rampaging Range Rover :)
traffic cops.jpg

We use DFW's when out and about. "Dithering F-Whits". Mostly aimed at those poor souls who wander about completely unaware of their surroundings

Well he was actually born in Southwark but moved to Lambeth (Stockwell actually) shortly after, so technically he probably could be described a Cockney! Quite an interesting family story on his side, we got him to write his memoirs. His Dad was a prize fighter known as Jack Holmes of Lambeth, whose brother also a fighter was known as Young Snowball of Lambeth. They used to fight top of the bill at Bethnal Green Arena, winning a purse of 50 gns! My Grandad was a firefighter during the blitz and became a regional PT instructor. After the war he wasnt allowed to continue in the fire service as he was technically too short! Bit harsh. Thatā€™s when he started the family plumbing business.
Great family tree. 50gns, bloody fortune in those days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom