I probably should of known better

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like all those poorly-educated, lazy and stupid dyslexic people.

They should be shot really for giving old people something to collectively moan about because a lot of old people have nothing better or more productive to do with their time.

Some people are pendants (sic).

This could be a trait of an introverted personality. A need for order and rules. A breach of the rules rubs against the grain.

It could be suggested that Mercedes owners crave order, reliability, dependability. So a Mercedes forum could be a bastion for pendants. All looking for a sense of belonging and shared values.

But they may need to be aware that they could be accused of superiority signalling when pointing out other’s mistakes.

just sayin………

Using "Less" instead of the correct comparative adjective "Fewer" is one we find particularly irksome.

I listened to an interview on Radio 4 where a Headmaster was talking about there being "Less" teachers in the profession!
;)

Attachments

• Cartoon of the Day-Pedants' Revolt.jpg
    Cartoon of the Day-Pedants' Revolt.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 11
Like all those poorly-educated, lazy and stupid dyslexic people.

They should be shot really for giving old people something to collectively moan about because a lot of old people have nothing better or more productive to do with their time.
It has nothing to do with dyslexia, unless you are saying that all those that abuse the language are dyslexic?
Please remember that without old people there would be no young people today.

Some people are pendants (sic).

This could be a trait of an introverted personality. A need for order and rules. A breach of the rules rubs against the grain.

It could be suggested that Mercedes owners crave order, reliability, dependability. So a Mercedes forum could be a bastion for pendants. All looking for a sense of belonging and shared values.

But they may need to be aware that they could be accused of superiority signalling when pointing out other’s mistakes.

just sayin………
Or they could just have a love of language as a means of clear communication.

It’s because people write as they speak.

In your example should of sounds like should’ve so has been written as it sounds.
This. I don't think it's a generational thing, at least in my experience. It's a proxy for educational standard attained... maybe?!?!

Must be thrilling to feel superior.
I can see both viewpoints on this, but I really don't think it's about feeling superior at all.
Isn't it just about personality traits; as above some like order and to follow rules and standards closely, others are linguaphiles, and then there are those who really don't care about it all and are very relaxed about how people use language. Nothing wrong with any of them.

I can see both viewpoints on this, but I really don't think it's about feeling superior at all.
Isn't it just about personality traits; as above some like order and to follow rules and standards closely, others are linguaphiles, and then there are those who really don't care about it all and are very relaxed about how people use language. Nothing wrong with any of them.
I get you’re point. 😁🤡🤭

These so called better educated, " not all" folk, have other underlying issues that they should be more clean with, within their lifestyle's.

Not saying to much, but I have found these so called educated people, can have big big unclean lifestyle's that don't make them better than the less educated builder up the road.

I think the saying is, don't judge a "book by it's cover".

I know a good few university graduates that haven't fulfilled such high standards. Doesn't make them better than myself, who has never taken a exam in his life 🙄🙄. Am I botherd, am I f.uk 🤣🤣👍

"Strokes for folks"

Last edited:
These so called better educated, " not all" folk, have other underlying issues that they should be more clean with, within their lifestyle's.

Not saying to much, but I have found these so called educated people, can have big big unclean lifestyle's that don't make them better than the less educated builder up the road.

I know a good few university graduates that haven't fulfilled such high standards. Doesn't make them better than myself, who has never taken a exam in his life 🙄🙄. Am I botherd, am I f.uk 🤣🤣👍

"Strokes for folks"
I don't think anyone was conflating better educated with better in any other aspect of life. At least I definitely wasn't!

I don't think anyone was conflating better educated with better in any other aspect of life. At least I definitely wasn't!

I think we should all confer with, cockney rhyming slang. 😁👍

Spelling voilà as viola or kindergarten as kintergarten.
Did’t they learn English at school?
It really irks me.
Some of our USA friends spell it ‘wallah’!

The problem with grammatical accents (e.g. acute , grave) is that most people don’t know that they exist, rarely need to use them and do not know where they are on a keyboard. On a Mac, you simply need to hold the key down and a ‘pop-up' will provide list of ‘accent' choices for that letter.

People use ‘gonna’, 'coudda’, ‘shoudda’ (sic) etc .....pure laziness but is seems to have become part of the vernacular.

Not sure if that is worse than mixed metaphors or using metaphors completely out of context.

The worrying thing is that there is a growing number of people, who should be able to use the English language correctly (TV presenters, politicians etc) that are unable to do so and as a result, our dumbed down nation follows suite.

Then there is the hand waving. When I was young they said “If you want to silence an Italian, tie his hands behind his back”. Nowadays it seems that people are taught to wave their hands all over the place while speaking.

Of course, there will be those that do not actually know that there is a difference between good and bad grammar and say that we're are a bunch of pedantic old farts.

Wow - I feel much better getting all that off my chest. :)

Reactions: JHS

"Strokes for folks"
I have a problem seeing a connection between "big big unclean lifestyle's" and the use of correct English.

I imagine that the very people that have such pet hates adore the old style voice overs/commentary from the old Black & White TV broadcasts where no one heard regional accents.

"Strokes for folks"

No shame in not having a degree. I’d rather be a great cabinet maker than have a 'BA in media studies' or some similar cr@p.

Some degrees are not worth the paper that they are written on but everyone seems to think that a degree is the only way forward..

We’ve just handed out a record number of A, A* to the school leavers.

Is the nation getting smarter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom