I probably should of known better

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinallcars

Car
B180, SLK 230
A small rant with an example in the title.

Why has ’of’ instead of ‘have’ (or its abbreviation ‘ve) become common use on Internet forums?

Has it come from America as many corruptions of the English language do?
Is it text-speak?
Is it taught in schools? or is the correct terminology not taught?

Whatever it is, I find it hugely irritating; particularly as I know it will never stop and may become common usage. I appreciate language is a living thing but this one seems so unnecessary.

Rant over.

It's sad isn't it :( The English language is devolving at quite some pace. Obviously languages evolve over time, but I think it's going down the pan now. Sometimes I simply don't understand what the generations that come after me are actually saying!

A small rant with an example in the title.

Why has ’of’ instead of ‘have’ (or its abbreviation ‘ve) become common use on Internet forums?

Has it come from America as many corruptions of the English language do?
Is it text-speak?
Is it taught in schools? or is the correct terminology not taught?

Whatever it is, I find it hugely irritating; particularly as I know it will never stop and may become common usage. I appreciate language is a living thing but this one seems so unnecessary.

Rant over.

You're entitled to a rant every now and again, it helps clear the tubes.
The poor use of English in general has me peeved to the point of having another drink.
Starting a sentence with 'so'
Exchanging a 'g' for a 'k' (nuffink) that whole think stinks

And of course, our steady Americanisation (spellcheck wants to replace 's' with 'z' here)

English has always changed and evolved.
We here, would certainly have trouble with 17th century English.

A living language is a growing, evolving language and this is one reason English is so widly used.
We (OED) embrace new words and meanings

In France, they've passed laws preventing the evolution of the language
Frence is spoken in France, a small bit of Canada and some parts of Africa, but, it's use is declining
Most people speaking French can also speak English, at least, to a useable degree.

We need to embrace the changes unfortunately.
We may not like it (I for one, don't), but, if the language stops evolving it starts to die

They should of payed more attention in school. Ditto ‘there‘ and ‘your’.

It’s because people write as they speak.

In your example should of sounds like should’ve so has been written as it sounds.

Is it because of the abbreviation? "Should've" can sound more like "Should of" than "Should have" in certain accents.

^ Spot the quicker typist!

We here, would certainly have trouble with 17th century English
Reflecting the issue as a whole, it very much depends on your education. Both myself and my wife read Chaucer as part of our English lessons at school, so would have little trouble.

Languages evolve, but I can't help feeling that what the OP is lamenting is actually a regression.

Wow! Seven posts and no one has dropped an 'innit'. Perhaps the forum is evolving and soon 'brake' and 'break' will be used according to context. And maybe the English will stop inserting the letter 'r' where the written word has no extra r - eg draw - to sketch, etc - not a place to keep socks.

Reflecting the issue as a whole, it very much depends on your education. Both myself and my wife read Chaucer as part of our English lessons at school, so would have little trouble.

Languages evolve, but I can't help feeling that what the OP is lamenting is actually a regression.

Hi , well I read the Beano at school !

Yes even on here we get some glaring ones,the one that shocks me the most is the word Done instead of Did,like I polished the car yesterday and I done it with super bees wax.

And pronouncing words ending with "or" at the end. One of my neighbours can be heard shouting "Alexor, play ----"

One thing that winds me up, I notice people saying Pacifically instead of specifically

Blimey, so many angry people. 🤪

I know a really nice retired bricklayer. He’s a good friend. 77. His texts to me are full of mistakes like listed in this thread. But it doesn’t matter does it? He’s a genuinely nice honest person. He’s got a wonderful family, he carried out voluntary work last year during lockdown. Does it matter that his written sentences aren’t perfect??? Not one little bit.

There are many well spoken well educated people (some MP’s, world leaders a good example) that I wouldn’t p1ss on if they were on fire.

So, regarding the people in question (me included), it’s not the end of the world if they’re sentences aren’t perfect. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
So.........., basically........, it is what it is.

Drives me nuts!

DORBEL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom