I probably should of known better

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One thing that winds me up, I notice people saying Pacifically instead of specifically
Prostrate instead of prostate gets to me.

Politicians who start every answer with “Look” it asserts that “clearly your a bit dim so let me explain in a very simple way that a dummy like you might understand, but you really must listen carefully”

And of course ”like”, it’s as if ,like, no one under the age of, like, 20 can ,like, construct a sentence without ,like, inserting lots of likes into it, y na what I’m saying tho innit like.

Starting a sentence with 'so'
Exchanging a 'g' for a 'k' (nuffink) that whole think stinks

Those two examples are far from equivalent linguistic crimes. I don't think I have ever seen nuffink written on this or any other forum and I wouldn't want to, where as starting a sentence with 'so' can be perfectly correct and acceptable when used to add emphasis. It may be a minor point of contention for grammatical perfectionists, but a forum is not the place to worry about starting sentences with a conjunction.

Apparently the Americanism "OK" crept into the UK language in the 1950s, no one bats an eyelid at that now. Languages evolve, for better or worse.

I don't think "should of" is anything more than people hearing "should've" and learning it's "should of" being spoken and then pronouncing it / spelling it that way furthermore.

Perhaps those abbreviating "have" are causing the issue.

Language is created by humans to communicate with other humans and has evolved over the time it has existed.

Who cares if it evolves... as long as what is being said or written is understood, does it matter?

Life is too short.

Or "aks" instead of "ask"

NPR

I don't think "should of" is anything more than people hearing "should've" and learning it's "should of" being spoken and then pronouncing it / spelling it that way furthermore.

Perhaps those abbreviating "have" are causing the issue.

Language is created by humans to communicate with other humans and has evolved over the time it has existed.

Who cares if it evolves... as long as what is being said or written is understood, does it matter?

Life is too short.

NPR
There are many walks of life where it matters, the legal profession springs to mind. The (mainly) American misuse of double negatives must present some real challenges when seeking clarity.

No problem with evolution but, as suggested above, this smacks of regression and, more importantly, it annoys ME!

Hi , so don't forget that our great country has local spoken dialects so a Londoner may talk posh according to a person from the West Midlands.

I worked in Cradley Heath ( area within the black country) for a few years and it took me over twelve months before I could have a reasonable conversion with my work colleagues.

I was born in Queens Charlotte Hospital in London long ago and the reason I feel our great language has been vandalised is down to another national institution , the BBC.

Languages over the years move on , as an example , Portuguese and Brazilian , they have moved apart so the population does have trouble with communication.

There are many walks of life where it matters, the legal profession springs to mind. The (mainly) American misuse of double negatives must present some real challenges when seeking clarity.

No problem with evolution but, as suggested above, this smacks of regression and, more importantly, it annoys ME!

Maybe so but evolution of language will continue regardless.

So you can either waste your time worrying about it and winding yourself up about it or move on.

Meanwhile, for those who don't care, no worries.

Using "Less" instead of the correct comparative adjective "Fewer" is one we find particularly irksome.

I listened to an interview on Radio 4 where a Headmaster was talking about there being "Less" teachers in the profession!

It seems to matter to a lot of people. When I worked for a manufacturer we used to get letters from customers pointing out grammatical errors in the brochures and price lists. Even the salesmen used to have competitions to see who could find the errors.

I think the belief was that if the spelling and grammar had errors, then the accuracy of the data could not be relied upon either.

Reactions: JHS
Like all those poorly-educated, lazy and stupid dyslexic people.

They should be shot really for giving old people something to collectively moan about because a lot of old people have nothing better or more productive to do with their time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom