I removed the grill to clean it and look what happened!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mct_cars

Car
Mercedes R107 500 SL
I think I might have gone too far.......
IMG_5368_2.jpg

IMG_5369.jpg

IMG_5370_2.jpg

That's what we like to see, a thorough job done. So long as you dont try to clean the vent's in the dashboard.....

A word if I may... you forgot to remove the door handles and license plate surround :D

Careful the police don't catch you with no wipers, great colour

A word if I may... you forgot to remove the door handles and license plate surround :D

Thanks for letting me know:crazy:.

The handles, lights and number plate are all hand tight in that picture. They're all off the car now in the bodyshop:D

well done from a fellow signal red 107 owner :thumb:

Thats what happens with Mercedes cars you take off one bit to clean it and when you turn round all the other bits have fell off..George..

well done from a fellow signal red 107 owner :thumb:

I'm blaming you and your blog for starting the whole thing!!

I wasn't intending on getting the whole thing sprayed as the car was pretty good, but a local bodyshop made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I was half way stripped anyway.

I recon stripping down and preparing has taken around 70 hours, and I'm reconning on half that again to put it back together. Everything that has been taken off has been cleaned / painted / prepared / renewed, so the hard part is hopefully behind me.

I can't argue with the colour combination - classic! The only small change will be to a paint that allows a clear coat, with the closest match to Mercedes Signal Red possible.

I agree with your approach - sort out all the issues in one go and get it to the condition it deserves to be in, having a car with niggles is very annoying.

Looks like some machine polishing could be in order to restore the red. It seems far brighter under the trims where it hasnt been dulled by the sun. Good work though, I always like to see a thorough cleaning job.

Looks like some machine polishing could be in order to restore the red. It seems far brighter under the trims where it hasnt been dulled by the sun. Good work though, I always like to see a thorough cleaning job.

It's gone in for a repaint, so that should sort it :thumb: :)

Yes I should imagine that will cover it! Utterly timeless design the R107. Not many cars can stay in production for 17 years and I seriously doubt we will see another that does.

Yes I should imagine that will cover it! Utterly timeless design the R107. Not many cars can stay in production for 17 years and I seriously doubt we will see another that does.

G Wagen??

Is this Wobbly's old car?

Certainly is.

Will - the paint under the trims was okay, but the bottoms on both sides had been sprayed and looked much brighter - much more noticeable when you took the trims off.

There was a couple of bits of minor rust around the front and back of the sills and a couple of surface spots here and there that I wanted to get sorted for winter. The price for the whole job with me stripping and preparing the car was just too irresistable, especially with a change to a clear coat.

I agree.... apart from it was 19 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom