I sold my car!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

olikea

Well, I sold my Merc SL on ebay- and Tony - the guy who won the auction came today to collect it and pay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2424261030&category=9855

I guess this is a useful lesson for everyone! If you want to sell a car, put it on ebay, give it a good desciption, pay the extra £10 for "featured" and start it at £1 with no reserve!

I think the £14,500 is the best possible price I could have got for it, esp considering "parkers private good" was £12950!

On Friday I will be getting a brand new Mercedes C Class Sports Coupe, with Panoramic Glass Sunroof, which in UK weather I think makes more sense than a full convertible!

Well i have put mine on ebay and tried to be as honest as possible...i dont have the stomach to put no reserve, but started at a penny..

Ebay link

Originally posted by jaymanek
Well i have put mine on ebay and tried to be as honest as possible...i dont have the stomach to put no reserve, but started at a penny..

Ebay link

main bidder = floggitandscarper

Fills you with confidence mate.:crazy: :crazy:

I know! Well he emailed me his address, telephone number and mob number as i asked in the description. I havent tried the numbers yet, but early days...

Ebay link

Very nice description - I am glad to see people being more thorough rather than just two lines like an autotrader ad!

A little ebay secret is that if you really think the car is going to go for peanuts, you can (at the last minute) cancel everyone's bids and end the auction, and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it :)

Also beware of the "buy-it-now" bregade. These are people looking for a bargain, hoping sellers will underestimate the value of their car. People geniunely interested will be prepared to wait and see.

As for reserves - I always recommend no reserve. Bidding on auctions that have a reserve are always somewhat subdued, as people know that there isn't a real bargain to be had. Bidding in the first 24 hours of my auction was really ferocious, so really there is no risk, and the market really does set the value.

I also sold a Rover Metro on ebay for a friend for £720. I was expecting to get max £500 for it!

I just noticed:

"Unlike an SL, you can fit four adults luxuriously in this Mercedes"

Hehe - was that my influence?

I would have considered the car, but I don't want another convertible. Having had one its now "been there, done that", and frankly in the UK they are pretty pointless!

Originally posted by olikea
I just noticed:

"Unlike an SL, you can fit four adults luxuriously in this Mercedes"

Hehe - was that my influence?

I would have considered the car, but I don't want another convertible. Having had one its now "been there, done that", and frankly in the UK they are pretty pointless!

At least he didn't dis' your colour.

"Not your usual Azurite Blue".

Why if I cared Iwould get mad! LOL, nicely written ad.

Thanks guys,

im really feeling stupid setting a reserve now, the bidding has really slowed down once it hit reserve... ooops!

Seats - No when i bought this one i was looking for an SL, and thats one of the main reasons i didnt buy one... But your ad was the inspiration on writing a good description....

Blue- Nealy as common as silver...i love almandine :)

Had a lot of fun driving around today in the sun. And have got her all polished up for the GTG next week...

See you there!

Had a lot of fun driving around today in the sun. And have got her all polished up for the GTG next week...

See you there!

Looking forward to seeing it.

I love it.......no dis' but glad you are bringing that and not the 200.

I have a much stronger bond with my 200, but ill have that forever...

Ebay link

I see your car went for £14,400 - incidentally, is that more or less than you expected?

So you sold it 3 days ago, has the guy been sensible who is buying it? Did it all go well?

Hi,

Yes well i was hoping to get closer to 15, but im happy.

It sold to a 65 year old Irishman who was apparently up all night worrying about how much he could afford to bid to! Poor old chap..

Hes been good so far, called me straight after auction end, and we have spoken daily. I received a draft just now for the 5% deposit i asked for, and he will be flying down to collect towards the end of the week with cash..

Me being paranoid, ill be very restless until the draft has properly cleared in my account and i have the notes in my hand....

So now im on the lookout for a early 320CLK. Ill wait until i find a bargain, i missed one a couple of weeks ago: Mint 98 S reg with 50K, AMG Alloys, leather etc etc.. and went for 13.5...

If anyone knows of one, lemme know!

Cheers

Jay

Of course it is difficult to value E-Class Cabs given their rarity.

Incidentally did anyone come to view the car? I had lots of people who mentioned they would like to see it, but no one actually bothered to come and have a look before bidding.

I find it quite surprising someone would agree to pay nearly £15k for a car without seeing it in the flesh first. But I suppose these days rust is much less of an issue so the need to give it a real good inspection is less urgent.

If you want a bargain (on ebay) look out for one with a very half-hearted description. Then go and make a "buy it now" offer - you would be surprised what you can get away with.

P.S. Many people who have driven the cars with the 320 engine, actually say that the 230 Kompressor feels quicker. (And much more economical).

Of course, up until 2002 they were less refined than the 6 cyls.

Hi,

No, no one came to view the car, not many people even asked! Strange, i would never buy a car without viewing... This guy was in Ireland, so i guess he had to take the risk if he wanted one.

Yes ive been keeping an eye out on ebay, but all the 230's seem to be manual and hardly any 320's show up. Im not too fussy, but prefer the more refined and desirable engine.

Well ill update you when the deal all goes through, fingers crossed everything all goes ok.

Cheers

Jay

Well met the guy at heathrow at 8AM and deal went as smooth as you could have imagined. The guy loved the car.

Now an intense search is on for a CLK320....

A Pic of the new owner:

E220%20Cab%20New%20Owner.jpg

Last edited:
wow pleased for you and new owner!

Hope you gave him a link to the club?

...A Pic of the new owner:

J.,

Wow that's a big smile :) Good luck on the hunt for a new CLK320 :cool:

*EDIT* We'll have to run a sweep as to who gets their CLK320 first, you or Sasha :p :devil:

S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom