I stole a plane to escape the military.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Text Source BBC Radio 4.

In 1964 Theo Van Eijck was a cadet in the Dutch navy. He was unhappy with life in the military and wanted to get out to start over.
But with 6 years still left on his service contract, he decided to steal military plane and make a run for it.
He took off from Malta and managed to outrun three pursuing fighter jets and made it to Libya. After a week, he realised he had to go back.
He made a deal with the Dutch Government and returned to a media storm and a short prison sentence.

J. Michael Straczynski is an award-winning writer responsible for creating TV shows like Babylon 5, Sense8 and the movie Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Angelina Jolie.
But Joe had an abusive, loveless and deprived childhood, and would find escape in the world of comics and science fiction.
He credits one superhero in particular for forming his own moral character and steering him to a better life.
He’s written a book about his life and love of fiction, called Becoming Superman.

Text Source BBC Radio 4.

In 1964 Theo Van Eijck was a cadet in the Dutch navy. He was unhappy with life in the military and wanted to get out to start over.
But with 6 years still left on his service contract, he decided to steal military plane and make a run for it.
He took off from Malta and managed to outrun three pursuing fighter jets and made it to Libya. After a week, he realised he had to go back.
He made a deal with the Dutch Government and returned to a media storm and a short prison sentence.

J. Michael Straczynski is an award-winning writer responsible for creating TV shows like Babylon 5, Sense8 and the movie Changeling, directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Angelina Jolie.
But Joe had an abusive, loveless and deprived childhood, and would find escape in the world of comics and science fiction.
He credits one superhero in particular for forming his own moral character and steering him to a better life.
He’s written a book about his life and love of fiction, called Becoming Superman.

There was a documentary about him a while back .

There have been a few escapades , such as the German student who flew a light aircraft into Red Square .

Mattias Rust , if memory serves .

There were a few who tried to escape driving a tank off barracks... the Russian ones were either freedom-seekers, or pi$$ed drunk, or both.

There was a documentary about him a while back .

There have been a few escapades , such as the German student who flew a light aircraft into Red Square .

Mattias Rust , if memory serves .
I got some Red Guard a bit angry on a visit to St Basils/Red Square as I asked “where did the Cessna land?” - our guide nearly had kittens 🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom