I think i might kill my dog!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lancebond

Car
S203 C220 CDI
i've got a 6 month old german shepherd, she's NORMALLY a joy to own...

until today.

i've went out for a bit, leaving her in the kitchen and front room when i've come back she's managed to open the shoe cupboard and take the only pair i can't replace and has chewed them to shreds.

now she knows she's in the wrong as she's lying in her cage, with the door fully open and won't come out.

i'm gutted... and debating if our local chinese wants some "chicken"

i had to steal these boots from an american QM (quartermaster) while stationed in iraq... so i certainly can't get another pair... especially since it would mean re-enlisting.

just thought i'd sound off on here, anyone else got a dog that has chewed something valuable!?

6 month old and that's all she's done. Your lucky mate. Ours chewed through a pinned wall to get the the room next door. They grow out of it....well most do.

Having had a good few dogs (20ish in my lifetime) I know exactly what you mean!

Shoe wise, are you sure you can't find them aftermarket? Quite a lot of the SI manufacturers in the states sell to civis as well. Magnum, Lowa and Oakley all are names to look at.

Dog wise, I've had furniture (the wood parts) chewed to the point the whole thing had to be thrown out, shoes, sandals, door corners, tennis rackets and golf-club handles chewed. It's part of the growing process - as their teeth come out, it's painfull and they try to reduce the pain :)

We used to buy these sinew & ligament fake bones for out dogs... they did work quite well.

m.

she's been good as gold, plenty of chew toys and she's never bothered...

oh wait no, she's had one of my starwars t shirts... but that was my fault for leaving it lying about.

but these oakley boots... well it's the first time she's opened up something to get to them.

she's in for a shock soon however, she's going for a residential training course while i do a tour of germany...

We have a Terrier that likes to chew our Rabbits.....not a nice thing to find.

Plus a stupid Spaniel (are the any other kind?)

Here are Womble and Dave.

PICT3636.jpg

Why didn't you put her in the cage?!

I compete in dog agility, and when I entered my very first show back in 1991 my dog ate the running orders and her ring card when they arrived in the post!

Now with 5 Collies (6 until recently :() the house is well geared up for the dogs, with gates between:

utility room & kitchen
kitchen and dining room
kitchen and hall
dining room and lounge

... and a gate at the bottom of the stairs.

There's a cage in the utility room, and we have only just stopped putting the youngest (coming up for 2) in there overnight and when we're out, as she's been a terrible chewer. Basically anything she can get her paws on - in the van she eats the rubber matting and vet bed in the caging, and will pull leads/coats/etc. through the bars if you leave them too close!

Shoe wise, are you sure you can't find them aftermarket? Quite a lot of the SI manufacturers in the states sell to civis as well. Magnum, Lowa and Oakley all are names to look at.

i've found something along the same lines, oakley just refreshed the range a bit... so i'll pick up a pair when i'm in new york in january.

she's fully teethed now... so i thought i might have missed the chewing...

mind despite me being furious, i wouldn't change the little bugger for the world

I always carry a bar of ex-lax whenever I go out walking. Sounds very odd i'm sure but when those walking with you are nervous of dogs and some owners are irrepsonsible with controlling them it serves a very useful purpose. You'd be suprised how much a dog changes its attitude when fed chocolate. Plus the owner gets a huge surprise when they get home;)

we've got a gate at the bottom of the stairs, to prevent her from going upstairs and meeting her doom... the cat lives up there, and has one mission in life... to kill dogs

we would cage her all the time, but recently have only done it at night. Like i said this is the first time she's ever really done it.

She will pay you back when she gives a burgular the same treatment when she is fully grown.

going back 28 years I wrote a letter to Bob Wilson then presnter on Match of the day. He replied with a hand written response (it was quite a big thing when you are 10 years old). Anyway, to cut a long story short my Chocolate Lab (Glen) ate this letter and a load of other stuff when left alone for a while. I was gutted.

i haven't even managed to stay mad, went to her cage where she's lying quite still and now she's back on the sofa next to me.

butter wouldn't melt!!
024-1.jpg

It shows character.

My parents dog was full of it, until Sunday. They went for a walk, when at the start she essentially collapsed. They rushed her to the Vet, who declared Heart Failure, and that she was not going to recover. An 8 year old Golden Retriever. Given that it all happened within a 2 hour period a bit of a shock.

OP, don't hold a grudge. This dog did bad, but knew it!

Yup, feed them enough and they will die (it's toxic to dogs). Raisins too.

Is that chocolate or ex-lax? Fortunately the bars are small and it only takes a small amount to get the desired effect.

I once had occasion to attack a doberman that the owner couldnt control. It was savaging another dog badly. Again the dog became very docile once my arm was around its neck squezzing. By and large dog owners are responsible decent people but some do let the others down sadly.

On a sort of related note I once read that you know who your best friend is when you lock the dog and your wife in the boot of a car. Guess which one is really pleased to see you when you open the boot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom