I think I was fobbed off today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
For a while now I have known about one of my front door speakers is on its way out.So contacted the stealers for a price.At the same time I thought I would ask about fitting Bose speakers instead (moderate upgrade I thought) only to be told you cannot retro fit Bose as my car doesn't have the Bose wireing loom?????.Ok so how much are standard speakers for my car I asked!(knowing them to be about £8-£10 each) to be told £45 each was a little shock to the system :eek: .What is it with Bose have they got multiple connectors and freakish other bits unknown to me.I always thought that a speaker had 2 connectors one marked + the other one marked - . :confused:

my mate has a Honda that came with a factory fit Bose system. The FM tuner on it has gone whoopsi and if he wants to fit a non Bose head unit in it, he's gonna have to rip every speaker, wiring, loom, etc out of it. Something to do with Bose gear having different impedence and load outputs requiring proprietary gear.

pluggers said:
. . . only to be told you cannot retro fit Bose as my car doesn't have the Bose wireing loom?????. . . . What is it with Bose have they got multiple connectors and freakish other bits unknown to me.I always thought that a speaker had 2 connectors one marked + the other one marked - . :confused:

They are correct, Bose speaker systems use "active equalization" which for one, adds another module between the amp and speakers. You could do a retro-fit but it would be very costly. I'd recommend fitting either factory replacements or look to a third party fitter who can recommend a decent set for your car if you really want to upgrade.

Take look at the Bose FAQ

I don't know what's so different about the bose speakers in a w202 though. Mine have simple connectors and the tweeters for example are the exact same item you find in non-bose models. This is also true for the w208 clk. The headunit that came with my car (second hand) was a cheapo JVC unit which worked fine, I upgraded to comand and it sounds loads better but I don't think that has anything to do with bose. There may be something special about the subs however because they hang off an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom