I think im in love with a women who's much older then me ;)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

niketpatel71

I never knew old cars could be so beautiful. Its up for sale and im thinking of buying. Its a bargin at £1800. I already have the w203 c180k coupe and this would make a nice addition. Can anyone tell me about the 380 sec coupe 1985 what to look out for, common problems etc. Also will i be able to fit in a cd player? As a tape deck is not really my thing. Now if i can sell my suzuki gsxr 600 k1 then it would speed up the whole process of me buying this beauty.

media

media

media

media

She looks lovely. Has she had leather seats retro-fitted? They look like grey ones in a black interior. if so would have had velour before I suppose.
Timing chain is the worst thing to look out for. Has it been changed? If not, its got to be done or its just a matter of time or luck. The resulting damage would mean a new engine.

Other than that, rust under the parcel shelf can be a deal breaker. Put your head in the boot, and with a torch look upwards into the circular holes you see up there. And feel with your hand. If its gone (Its a moisture trap) it is repairable but probably about a grand to sort it out.
Rust in or around the rear wheel wells can happen. And by the subframe mounts in the front wheel wells too.

Gearbox should engage and change smooth, thing to look out for is 'slipping' when it is about to change gear, from 3rd to 4th for example.

other than that they are beautiful cars, bought one a little while ago and I'm in love too :)

She's gorgeous. Think of her as a sort of Anne Margaret of cars.

i was just speaking to the owner who informed me the car has a single timing chain which after much research i have found is a major problem what does everyone advice?

I have heard that the single row chain has caused trouble in the past. But surely if the car has been well maintained and the chain isnt allowed to get too old then it should be fine?

I believe many owners converted them to dual chains back in the day. That might still be possible if you wanted.

Ian you are right but to do so would cost a few hundred and i would only trust olly or some of the indies of here to do it as it bleeping hard to find a good honest reliable mechanic in london. Now if he is willing to put the price down of the car to around £1400 then just incase the timing chain snaps and needs replacing I have some money to keep it covered.

Why not take her out on a date and learn about her quirks?

Sorry Nik, can't help much in the advice department, but i can say it looks gorgeous. Get it bought son! Can't beat a SEC.

Damnit, I thought this thread was going somewhere else.......I feel let down by the OP......

Thanks for the feedback everyone by the way the car has 132,000 miles so is £1800 reasonable or should i pay less?

Personaly I'd look for a later car (1986+) there was a facelift.

A 500 motor will be far more powerful and won't be any more thristy.

420's are rare - simply not many were bought 560's are the most powerful (circa 300hp).

However, if you like it and it's good condition than £1800 isn't much to pay.

Most obvious rotting points are under the rear screen - get int eh boot and look up with a torch, they rot there terribly.

All the wheel arches go.

I would have a look underneath most of it. I had a 500 SEC with rust underneath the door frame, which was not somewhere you might think of looking.

Re: timing chain, just get it changed by a reliable indie if it's not been done recently. Not worth the risk of it breaking. Worth getting a quote first, as parts for 126s can be quite pricey. Old V8s are not easy to sell, so it is worth trying to haggle the price down a bit, particularly as the 380 is less sought after than the 500. The SEC is a gorgeous car, and will put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

The miles arent bad, thats lowish for the age. Perhaps like you say you can get the price down to cover that timing chain scenario. But as has been said, post '86 was the 2nd generation of these. Lots of 500's around to choose from.
If it were me a lot would depend on the rust situation.

thanks guys going to check it out on sunday so ill keep you updated.

Slightly different problem for me. I'm in love with a woman who's a lot younger than me............

My first ever car was exactly the same age as I was at the time - a 19*8 Ford Anglia which I acquired as soon as I passed my test .

Interestingly, & coincidentally Mrs Mapleleaf was also the same age as me when I acquired oops I mean met & later married her.:D

good job she doesnt read my posts on here - Year edited just in case ! :eek:

and its ok... she doesnt know which year they stopped making them :)

Slightly different problem for me. I'm in love with a woman who's a lot younger than me............

trouble is much younger (well 10yrs) it will be illegal, therefore the older model always floats my boat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom