I think ive sold my car (or hav I)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The G.F.P

MB Enthusiast
ive had 3 emails from some bloke called Danny Rose who sounds british (the way he puts the right words in the wrong order makes me think he is not of these sunny isles) but is obviously trying to do something dodgy

its quiet amusing so i thought id put the emails on here

EMAIL 1

Hello Seller,

I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements
perfectly. Why do you intend selling your vehicle and hope the vehicle
is still in a pristine condition. Please have some pictures sent. Do
understand that time is of the uttmost essence,look forward to a speedy
sale.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any further questions..

Cheers

Danny.

EMAIL 2

Yes, Please do kindly back with the requested details.

EMAIL 3

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the prompt response it is greatly appreciated. I find
the pictures and condition okay. So i see no further delay. Here is
how we are going to do these so there wont be any mix up. Would try to
explain as best as i can. The vehicle is going to be shipped to Dublin
Ireland as that is where it is going to be used. that is why we would
ne needing the services of a shipping agent. I have one which we can
use would send you his details as soon as we reach an agreement and i
know for certain the vehicle would be sold to me.

You would be receiving payment via a Cheque which will include money
for the vehicle and that of the shipping agent. Upon receipt of the
payment all you need do is have it cashed and deduct your full funds
for the vehicle and remit the remaining balance on top to the shipping
agent. Upon confirmation of the money he would arrange all necessary
documentations and come for the pick up of the vehicle with a carriage
and also sign all necessary change of ownership papers.

In light of this to have the cheque issued and sent out to your
address, i would be requesting you send me the following contact
details:

Full Name::::::::::

Full Address:::::::

Telephone Number::::::::

Upon receipt of this details we would proceed immediately.

Thanks very much once again.

Danny.

Ive firstly replied by asking why he wanted pictures of my car when there are 9 on autotrader (where he saw it)

After the last one i replied with ..

Sounds very good ive changed the asking price of my car to £275,000

i hope this is ok

thanks

i wonder how many people fall for this scam and end up with no car and a bounced cheque as the cheque shows up in you account as cleared then after a week or so the bank tell you that it was a fake/stolen/fraud

im 99% sure this is a scam

either way i wont be contacting him/her/them/it again

going by the "Upon receipt of the payment all you need do is have it cashed and deduct your full funds for the vehicle and remit the remaining balance" part i think it might be where they send a cheque for more than you want and then when they collect the car they ask for the extra in cash

im not sure what their angle is but its funny

just got this email back

u knw 4 a bitch who doesnt ve money.u talk lyk u got **** 2 offer...im rich

my final email is

but i really want you to buy my car

how about i i sell it for £274.99?

please as you sound like an honest person and not a con man at or a retard

danny

Last edited:
i wonder how many people fall for this scam and end up with no car and a bounced cheque as the cheque shows up in you account as cleared then after a week or so the bank tell you that it was a fake/stolen/fraud

im 99% sure this is a scam

either way i wont be contacting him/her/them/it again

going by the "Upon receipt of the payment all you need do is have it cashed and deduct your full funds for the vehicle and remit the remaining balance" part i think it might be where they send a cheque for more than you want and then when they collect the car they ask for the extra in cash

Is this still the case with cheques? I thought they'd revamped the system so it was all a lot quicker.

Tell him you're happy to sell on reciept of cleared funds, that removes all ambiguity.

I once took your line with a customer trying to buy from me in Ghana, it had scam written all over it but after two or three phone calls from people in London also in my trade it turned out it was genuine and the guy spent nearly £20,000 with me.

As a result of this I treat all these things as a scam, but politely until it's clear it's not a scam. The odd one might be genuine, unlikely but possible.

Cleared funds is king, it doesn't matter who's buying it or where it's being shipped.

You should be 100% certain this is a scam.

I have learned by experience that you should not put your email address in car adverts. It's like red rag to a bull for the scammers.

Serious buyers will pick up the telephone and speak to you.

[/COLOR]but i really want you to buy my car

how about i i sell it for £274.99?

please as you sound like an honest person and not a con man at or a retard

danny

So if a long standing member of this forum offered you £300 then you'd snap their hands off!!?? :thumb:

Just back to the cheque for a moment.

I thought the entire cheque system had an entire revamp within the last 18 months and the entire cheque cycle was now 4 working days.

How would the cheque be clawed back if the OP's bank states it's cleared? Is there still a 10 fraud period or similar?

I do understand how this worked previously but thought the banks had changed the clearing systems to cover this.

I thought the entire cheque system had an entire revamp within the last 18 months and the entire cheque cycle was now 4 working days.

How would the cheque be clawed back if the OP's bank states it's cleared? Is there still a 10 fraud period or similar?

I do understand how this worked previously but thought the banks had changed the clearing systems to cover this.

there are so many ways this could be a con

it might be the old ugandan one where they send you a cheque for £10k for an item that is £7k and they say can you send them the change £3k

as for the new cheque system i though they were just going to kill it off

It depends on which branch of which bank.
For sort code uk banks maybe 4d but the cheque might not be drawn on a uk bank account (with a sort code) in which case it would either be negotiated (your bank buys it off you and then sends it for collection) or you have to instruct your bank to collect it for you. These processes can take a long time. Collection is sending the cheque physically to the bank on which it was drawn. If no funds in the account then it comes back unpaid after several weeks.

That's the way i understand it anyway.

Les

i had a 55 grand check turn up for a 5 grand bike i was selling... then a email saying please send me back the extra funds... lol

Not vwery good at haggling here are we.

GFP offers it for 274.99
1st offer comes at 300.
GFP say he'll take 250.
Next offer is 350!

I'll take it off yer hands for 175 and that's cutting me own throat. Is it taxed?

classic scam. they send u a dodgy cheque that includes shipping.... u then pay for the shipping to the "shipping company". (who is him). his cheque bounces but u've already paid the shipping co

It depends on which branch of which bank.
For sort code uk banks maybe 4d but the cheque might not be drawn on a uk bank account (with a sort code) in which case it would either be negotiated (your bank buys it off you and then sends it for collection) or you have to instruct your bank to collect it for you. These processes can take a long time. Collection is sending the cheque physically to the bank on which it was drawn. If no funds in the account then it comes back unpaid after several weeks.

That's the way i understand it anyway.

Les

I thought it was this that had changed....ahh hell, the sooner they phase out cheques the better. They are not a lot better than an IOU.

did the cheque clear...lol

classic scam. they send u a dodgy cheque that includes shipping.... u then pay for the shipping to the "shipping company". (who is him). his cheque bounces but u've already paid the shipping co

yea my lady is from kenya and she tells me its a classic Nigerian scam low and behold that's where the check came from

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom