I think our coppers are quite easy going actually.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
scotth_uk said:
I do actually think that this is excessive for speeding and worth discussing.

I also think it's excessive for speeding, but not for resisting arrest in a country where just about anyone could be armed. If she'd done as she was told in the first place it wouldn't have been a problem.

6 times he told her to get out of the car and 6 times she ignored him and continued making a phone call. Ask yourself this, if you were pulled over by an armed police officer, how many times would he have to ask you to step out of the car. My answer is ONCE

I know this is not going to be popular but I don't see the problem here.

This woman make a choice to not listen to the officer. Not just once or twice but seven times, go ahead and count them. Seven times he asked her to stop talking on the phone and step out of the car, before he used the taser. If you watch the first video, he had to ask her 3 times to close her door!

As for her "crys" after the fact, anyone with children will know that cry. That was not a cry of pain, more like a cry when a 5 year old throws a strop.

For the second shot with the taser, yes maybe that was a little over the top, but overall I can't fault them.

She's very quiet once she's been tased isn't she ? :rolleyes:

kikkthecat said:
how many times would he have to ask you to step out of the car. My answer is ONCE

Well put. I tend to follow the instructions of anyone with a gun that's prepared to use it.

Don't get me wrong - I don't disagree with the process, just thought that the length of time that you can hear the clicking is a bit long...

Cop: Put your phone down.

Woman: No, I'm phoning somebody.

:crazy: In America, you just know it's going to end in tears. I'm afraid I have no sympathy for the pulled driver at all.

In total contrast I caught a bit of a UK police program on Sky Mix (Road Wars I think). Two motorway cops pulled a W211 Merc E320 CDI driver for some truly abysmal driving, undertaking in lane 1 and excessive speed.

The driver complied totally with the cops demands, he didn't need telling twice. The Cop played bad cop and told the driver he was going to prosecute to the fullest and that the driver would probably lose his licence in court. Obviously, the driver crapped his pants at the prospect of losing his licence and was extremely subdued. The cop then basically said "Nah only kidding, but treat this as a warning, you're not going to court and you won't lose your licence". The guy nearly cried when he realised he got off with a warning but I bet it had the desired effect and he won't drive like such an **** in the future.

S.

I think it was Robin Williams who asked what the British Cops do if they don't have guns, shout....

"STOP!"

"OR WE WILL SHOUT "STOP!" AGAIN..."

:crazy:

Steve_Perry said:
In total contrast I caught a bit of a UK police program on Sky Mix (Road Wars I think). Two motorway cops pulled a W211 Merc E320 CDI driver for some truly abysmal driving, undertaking in lane 1 and excessive speed.

The driver complied totally with the cops demands, he didn't need telling twice. The Cop played bad cop and told the driver he was going to prosecute to the fullest and that the driver would probably lose his licence in court. Obviously, the driver crapped his pants at the prospect of losing his licence and was extremely subdued. The cop then basically said "Nah only kidding, but treat this as a warning, you're not going to court and you won't lose your licence". The guy nearly cried when he realised he got off with a warning but I bet it had the desired effect and he won't drive like such an **** in the future.

S.

Just saw that aswell. The guy looked like he was about to cry!

Steve_Perry said:
In America, you just know it's going to end in tears. I'm afraid I have no sympathy for the pulled driver at all.

I've been pulled for speeding 2 times and once for an out of date plate (new one was on back seat) in the US in 3 different states. The process is quite simple. Do what the cop says, and at worst you get a ticket, at best he tells you off and sends you on your way.

I certainly do not have a problem with what happened.

I have no knowledge of the effects of the Tazer, or how it might effect an unborn child????

I am certainly not saying this woman was pregnant. I don't suppose she was, but I bet the Police Officer did not know at the time he discharged the weapon. Should that be a consideration before firing the weapon??

I personally hope so. If the offender 'looks' pregnant I would treat her as being pregnant and make allowances.

What alternatives did that specific officer have?

That 'lady' was in my opinion determined to have a confrontation, she was a disqualified driver (her licence was suspended) had committed a number of traffic offences and she was indirectly seeking a confrontation. Unfortunately for her she chose the wrong man. In my opinion he acted extremely professionally (he knew he was being videod) and done everything according to the procedures he actually teaches. (he was a Tazer instructor)

I have actually seen video footage of a female driver being shot by a US Police Officer.

Police officers were trying to get this driver to stop, she eventually pulled into a supermarket car park and then very foolishly got out of her car.

As she walked away from the vehicle and towards a Police Officer she reached into her handbag.

That was when she was killed by the officer standing directly in front of her.

He thought she was reaching for a gun.

She was actually getting her driving licence.

The shooting was deemed lawful as she failed to comply with the Police Officers request to stay in the vehicle.

Could she have been tazered? I doubt it.

Should she have been shot??

Regards,
John

I lived in California on and off for 25 years and always found the police heavy handed. Once a city cop (not responsible for patrolling Freeways - that's the Highway Patrol's job) pulled me over for low level speeding on the San Diego Fwy, miles from the city he worked for and approached me, sitting compliant in the driver's seat, with his gun drawn! I'd been going 75 when the speed limit was 55.

In the UK the few police I've dealt with called me "Sir". In California I called the cops "Sir". That's the wrong way around.

Last edited:
she asked for it when you watch the rest of the videos .....

I am slightly surprised at most peoples response on this. If this had been the UK I am certain that you would all be horrified at this . The correct response should have been to use verbal communication , moving to pressure points on hands and neck etc, then to pepper spray and finally baton.

Tazer is force just below use of a firearm , it is potentially lethal and the sort of situation it would have applied to is if the driver had been stopped and was sitting with a large carving knife on her lap and wouldn't give it up.

Pringles, I think you make a good point. We seem to treat this as "crazy americans", however the slightest issue regarding just about anything here and everyone is up in arms!

I guess in reality though, the American cops mean business and the American public should know that. Heavy handed - maybe, but the cops are protecting themselves first in that part of the world.

Although he asked her several times to get out he wasn't exactly assertive.
If she was dialing a mobile phone then she had both hands in view and should have been dragged out in an armlock. Taser was OTT in my opinion.

But, Oh, SO funny :bannana:

Pringles said:
I am slightly surprised at most peoples response on this. If this had been the UK I am certain that you would all be horrified at this . The correct response should have been to use verbal communication , moving to pressure points on hands and neck etc, then to pepper spray and finally baton..

Good morning Pringle,
Have you ever tried to remove an 'unruly' person from a vehicle? If you have and you done it single handedly, then they were not unruly.

I ask this question with the greatest of respect and not out of sarcasm.

Verbal communication!!!
I am simply not going to respond to that point.

Pressure Points on hands and neck.
Contrary to popular myth Aids is not all that easily transferable when handling offenders. Hepatitis can and does kill. A Police Copnstable in Torquay died from hepatitis which he caught when he arrested a suspect who spat in his face. Putting your upper body into a car is awkward and your are putting yourself into 'the face' of the person you are trying to restrain. If it is a male driver then stand by to be head butted and possibly spat at. If it is a female, then you will usually be gouged or again spat at.

Pepper spray.
I suppose you could indeed squirt them from a safe distance, but the results are more long term than tazer, you cannot get near the vehicle, if the person refuses to get out, then you are up a gum tree because you cannot get near the vehicle!! Then what?

Finally baton!!!!
I have no experience of using this but I would like you to explain how you would use it on a driver in a vehicle, whilst you are stood outside of it? Any injury you inflict will have far longer term symptoms than tazer. (speculation apart)

Pressure points!! these are not easily applied to someone in a vehicle, but yes in the UK it will be a physical confrontation, I have no personal experience of pepper spray but have seen determined people completely ignore its effects. (I am thinking of someone I saw armed with a samurai sword and the pepper spray had no effect whatsoever)

It is again so very easy to sit back and with 20 - 20 hind sight criticise the events that we see and yes I totally agree, if that incident happened here in the UK the usual members on this forum that lambast our Police will be in an hysterical outrage. That is a very fair and valid point, but I cannot take most of their comments seriously. (I have pm'd one member and fully understand their remarks)

Have a nice day,
John

I can't help but think he rather enjoyed administering that tazer.

IMO, his use of force was excessive in the conditions. He was twice her size and yes, he must have been able to see both hands.

A headlock would have been more than sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom