I thought it was April 1st for a minute ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
MADNESS

:rolleyes: whatever next ..

Sorry to disaggree on this one, but they have got a point.
This is all about not so subtle marketing aimed directly at the kids who pressure the parents.
There really is a serious problem with obesity going on in this country & everything possible needs to be done to try to reduce it to avoid all the inevitable consequences. This is just one factor which may play a part.

What about the ''lovable'' Macdonalds clown encouraging kids to eat burgers??

What about the parents being responsible and saying ' No Johnny , you can't have that ! ' Blaming the fat kids of this country on Moo the Dairylea Cow is just laughable.

Instead they take the easy option , give the kids what they want and they will shut up.

When i was young , if i hassled my parents that i wanted something , i either got a clip round the ear ( can't do that now , or you might get sued ) or they strengthened their resolve to not let me have it.

I learned pretty quickly that keeping on about something is a sure way to go without it.

ee clip round ear? thou were lucky lad ... our dad killed us ................if we were lucky..

Oh god MPFC strikes again......:D

Too right, if Junior B gets any ideas above his station, he'll be soundly whipped and locked in the cupboard under the stairs

for a week

except we havn't got any stairs....

I ate frosties by the pallet load when I was a kid and then sprinted round the house and garden for the rest of the day on a permanent sugar high. I grew into a fine athletic youth :D - however by my early 30s, things were starting to slip... Damn that Tony Tiger.

Ade

Spot on Howard! My Mum and Dad were the ones who decided what I got and what I didn't - not me!

'Pester Power' is a euphamism for 'I'm too bl00dy lazy to argue with you, my little cherub'

I appreciate what smatt says about there being an obesity epidemic, but the problem is that it's the parents who choose to eat cr@p food, not the kids pestering them for it.

How many people take their kids to (for instance) McDonald's, calling it 'a treat'? It may be a treat, and it may be infrequent. But there's a danger that 'a treat' becomes another euphamism, this time for 'a luxury', the visits become more frequent.

PJ

God I'm hungry!

What about the parents being responsible and saying ' No Johnny , you can't have that ! ' Blaming the fat kids of this country on Moo the Dairylea Cow is just laughable.

Instead they take the easy option , give the kids what they want and they will shut up.

When i was young , if i hassled my parents that i wanted something , i either got a clip round the ear ( can't do that now , or you might get sued ) or they strengthened their resolve to not let me have it.

I learned pretty quickly that keeping on about something is a sure way to go without it.

Couldnt agree more, the dairylea cow is not the problem, bad parenting is,

anyway you were lucky, I had to get up every morning 2 hours before I went to bed and lick the road clean with my tongue, I went to work in the mill for 14 hours a day and had to pay the mill owner for permission to work there, then when I got home my father would slice me in two with a bread knife and dance on my grave singing hallaleugh

edit - beat me to it crockers!!!!!

How many people take their kids to (for instance) McDonald's, calling it 'a treat'? It may be a treat, and it may be infrequent. But there's a danger that 'a treat' becomes another euphamism, this time for 'a luxury', the visits become more frequent.
i take my kids to McDs for a treat occasionally i dont see anything wrong with giving them junk food occasionally,it is not done every night or even every week ;)

purplegoddess said:
i take my kids to McDs for a treat occasionally i dont see anything wrong with giving them junk food occasionally,it is not done every night or even every week ;)

Precisely. I haven't got a problem with that. But, for example, my wife works for a large legal firm, and every Friday, a couple of dozen people nip over the road to McDonalds because it's 'a treat'. Occasionally is fine - when I was a kid, I ate mud occasionally. But the problem comes when the parents think of junk or unhealthy food as a treat for themselves, and therefore don't put up any resistance to the pestering.

Couldnt agree more, the dairylea cow is not the problem, bad parenting is,

anyway you were lucky, I had to get up every morning 2 hours before I went to bed and lick the road clean with my tongue, I went to work in the mill for 14 hours a day and had to pay the mill owner for permission to work there, then when I got home my father would slice me in two with a bread knife and dance on my grave singing hallaleugh

And you thell the kids today that...........

I'm going to send Junior B to Maccy Ds when he's naughty.

That'll learn him. Godawful place, that now looks like Foxtons..:crazy:

Ade

Precisely. I haven't got a problem with that. But, for example, my wife works for a large legal firm, and every Friday, a couple of dozen people nip over the road to McDonalds because it's 'a treat'. Occasionally is fine - when I was a kid, I ate mud occasionally. But the problem comes when the parents think of junk or unhealthy food as a treat for themselves, and therefore don't put up any resistance to the pestering.
i agree with you i make 99 percent of meals in my house rarely use tins jars ect as daughter number 3 has a nut allergy so have to be carefull what she eats ,besides take aways -fast food having lots of salt fat ect they all use some sort of nut products mcdonalds is the only one i know off that doesnt .but i decide when they get Mcds not the kids.
there is only one set of rules in our house, my rules:rock: :bannana:

I agree with all the comments on here so far, except for classing Macdonalds as a 'treat'
It is junk, so how is having junk a treat?

I agree that the cartoon characters are not the root of all evil, but they are just one aspect of a large problem and this problem needs to be tackled in as many different ways as possible to deal with it!

The fact that we are blase to the 'lovable' characters is surely illustrating how successful the marketing departments(which are obviously only interested in profit & not the health of our children) are?

Parallel obesity to smoking or alcohol- just as many public health/economy consequences & the advertising is strictly controlled

i agree with you i make 99 percent of meals in my house rarely use tins jars ect

You'll damage their teeth feeding them tins and jars .... no matter how rarely ...

My dad comes out with the class lines ...

'When we were young we were so poor we had to scrape moss off the roof to make soup'

'My first bike was made out of scaffolding and kee klamps'

and other such gems .... there was always someone worse off than you ... ;)

im amazed how het up people can get over things,live your life be happy eat well and exercise and if you fancy a big mac or kfc ocaisionally then have one:D

i agree with you i make 99 percent of meals in my house rarely use tins jars ect as daughter number 3 has a nut allergy so have to be carefull what she eats ,besides take aways -fast food having lots of salt fat ect they all use some sort of nut products mcdonalds is the only one i know off that doesnt .but i decide when they get Mcds not the kids.
there is only one set of rules in our house, my rules:rock: :bannana:

And I dare JPSkiller to disagree :devil:

im amazed how het up people can get over things,live your life be happy eat well and exercise and if you fancy a big mac or kfc ocaisionally then have one:D

Good advice.

Trouble is, a large proportion of the population do not follow this; they exercise little if at all, eat poorly (& lots of it) & have big macs/kfc/similar too frequently.
As a result they are not happy; due to their angina, osteoarthritis, hypertension, chronic breathlessness, depression, diabetes, poor body image, infertility, menorrhagia, peripheral vascular disease etc, etc (all obesity related)

This is a serious problem, which should not just be dismissed as it will affect more of the people around us & in turn have an effect on our lives. Things are going wrong. In order to improve, first of all this needs to be admitted to, then one needs an open mind to be able to assess the causal factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom