I thought the yanks were mad.. cutting springs???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover / s212
Ive been looking on mymbonline.com and they have an amazing bunch of cars. But most of their low rides dont come from coilovers or even airbags... its by cutting there springs, now on most cars this is damn pikey! So pikey infact i ripped my mates for doing it. as there cars bounce like hell. But apparantly Mercedes springs are ok to cut as 1. its not dangerous due to it being a certain type of spring and 2. all of them do it to stock, H&R, eibach... and have ran them for ages! I mean i expect you lot including myself will be like :ban::ban::eek::eek::doh::doh:

But im tempted to do it to my rear stock springs and test it out (oh they also get rid of the pads that the springs sit on?

Mad stuff

Depends if the springs are progressive or linear?

That's what they were saying... I think Merc ones are progressive

I cut one coil on my C280 when I was younger and sillier, but it didn't bounce, and handled ok still.

I wouldn't do it now, but its not as bad as people make out.

Worked fine on the front of my W123.

I didn't cut mine, but each of the front springs broke. The break was at the same point on each side, about 2" from the bottom end. The car was nice and low, but hit every speed bump and rut.

Early AMG cars , even the 124 "Hammer" had cut springs...
Solely because there were no aftermarket lowering springs available in the eighties...
Best to use a non cut spring as a cut spring can give a bit of instability sometimes at speed. ;)

Thanks for your comments, im honestly suprised at the fact you can cut springs on such a car. But it works :/

I am definately going to do it to my stock springs for the rear as it looks too slanted for my liking. Anybody know how i would go about cutting them?

I cut mine with a cutting disc on an angle grinder. I think, though may be corrected, that it is only viable when the spring has no sort of termination, as in ground to a taper to present a continuous circular seat.
If the spring looks as though it has been cut from an infinitely long spring and has a jutting sort of tang that sits into a recess, that can be easily replicated in cutting, then no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom