I told you lot the LSD was essential....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
....in these slippery conditions to drive your powerful RWD car round roundabouts the proper way!

• Push the ESP button so 'Sport' lights up on the dash (if you dare, hold it down for a few seconds ;))
  • Enter a roundabout at slow-medium speed
  • Take a wide'ish angle then turn in
  • Blip the throttle
  • Apply opposite lock and steer towards the direction you want to go (this is important but often forgotten :confused:)
  • Feather the throttle to your exit as you power your way through a nicely controlled drift :D

Without the LSD, the last one would read....

• Feather the throttle to your exit as you wheelspin your way through an erratic-looking slide

See, it's exactly as I said....ESSENTIAL! :thumb:

* I accept no liability for anyone who follows the above instructions and then subsequently balls it up.

Last edited:
...... and then check your tyre tread depth :)

LOL I have seen the orange ESP light flashing quite a bit in the last few days.....but the heated seats are more useful!

Ragging the 63 now you know it will be gone soon :D

Ragging the 63 now you know it will be gone soon :D

Everytime I get in it I'm wondering if I've done the right thing! It does drive bloody well (then so did the E63)...it's even more fun than the M3 in these slippery conditions as although it may not generate as much mechanical grip, the huge torque means it's much easier to have some naughty fun....everywhere!

Had a conversation with the dealer today who forgot (as did I) that the continuing offer is not the only concern to consider for next year....the small matter of 2.5% VAT increase is nearly the amount of a decent car in itself! I've sent them away to work out how they're going to pay for it.

Default setting on getting into the car on any day is ESP into Sport, gear switch to M.

With such a bounty of torque (and that diff ;) ) slides are available in the middle of summer, not just in these slippery conditions. In fact, I find them easier, bigger, and more manageable in the dry than they are in the wet.

When it is damp, the traction and rear-end breaks away much quicker, forcing the ESP (even in Sport) to intervene much quicker and more abruptly, spoiling the fun a little.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but a nice dry roundabout is proving more predictable and controllable, and hence a little more fun for me :)

Need to get some video up soon....

LOL I have seen the orange ESP light flashing quite a bit in the last few days.....but the heated seats are more useful!

Heated seats more useful in a power slide or drift now there's a concept the jap boys have never thought of. There's enough drama in the bottom department when you get it wrong that makes the heated seats redundant :D

In fact, I find them easier, bigger, and more manageable in the dry than they are in the wet.

When it is damp, the traction and rear-end breaks away much quicker, forcing the ESP (even in Sport) to intervene much quicker and more abruptly, spoiling the fun a little.

100% agree - dry roundabouts are easier to hold a satisfying drift!

But it's in these conditions that the benefits of the LSD (which, incase I haven't mentioned, I insisted was essential ;)) are ever more apparent.

There's enough drama in the bottom department when you get it wrong that makes the heated seats redundant :D

Lol....been there a few times (not in the C63 thankfully). One has to go through a learning curve!

Last edited:
^ Even in my ML I've had the traction light flashing on a roundabout... which makes be smile :)

not the proper mind blowing LSD then?

You lot need to get out more.
:)

Heated seats more useful in a power slide or drift now there's a concept the jap boys have never thought of. There's enough drama in the bottom department when you get it wrong that makes the heated seats redundant :D

Dries the trousers quicker. :D

Don't forget, on entry, the CCTV check... Or NIP and tears will follow...

Reminds me...

You know the reverse writing so that it can be read in a rear view mirror? Considered brash when BMW applied to the 'obrut' 2002 back in the early 70s. And the boy racer craze of covering their cars with the web addresses of their favourite speed shops? Think you've guessed what I saw at the weekend on a RWD (Mitsubishi I think)?
You're close, but not quite there - unless you guessed it was written up the sill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom