I very nearly defected for this last week !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vijilants

MB Enthusiast
Car
W205 C43 AMG
I very nearly defected for this last week......the only thing that stopped me was the fact that it only had two stamps in the book :(, and I'm not soo keen on the back end. but I could have lived with it.

It was the 3 litre one....bit rare.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=140241524724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Certainly was going and went at a bargain price, and it could have easily been mine as I tracked it all the way to the end.

Would I have been happy :confused::confused:

Last edited:
Lot of car for your money that.... I can see why you'd be tempted.

You'd have been bored with the Lexus in no time at all.

They're nice cars but certainly no MB.

Where's the star? :D

You'd have been bored with the Lexus in no time at all.

They're nice cars but certainly no MB.

Where's the star? :D

Thanks Will....that made me feel a bit better :eek:....tell me that the Lexus engine was probably in bad shape with just two stamps aswell :)

Last edited:
I hear that a lot about lexus', you get the initial "oh wow", but very soon after it becomes boring...

I test drove a Lexus prior to getting my current car and although it had a similar collection of toys and otherwise was a nice car, it was absolutely soulless. No match for the s-class at all. There is sometimes more to a car than just the hard numbers. :eek:

A toyota with a posh accent, but a toyota all the same ;-)

have to say i seriously loved our IS300, our second IS, we had an IS200 for 3 years before that. the 300 is a completely different beast though.

it took some serious thinking to get me to part with the 300 (after 4 & a bit years of trouble-free & 'smile every day' motoring) for my CLK cabrio...

I hear that a lot about lexus', you get the initial "oh wow", but very soon after it becomes boring...

Yes you're right - no dealers to complain about (No 1 in reports) - no problems with the cars (No 1 in reports) - very boring..:D

All said with tongue firmly in cheek

Have to say out of all the company cars my brother has had, Jags, Saabs, Merc, Lexus, Rover etc etc the Lexus is200 didn't need anything other than a service(s) over its 18 months and 90K miles he did.

Very dive to drive and his was just the 2.0 auto sport, nice dials, everything works and kept working.

You guys may knock other brands but they are actually very good cars. Yes I own two mercs and with my dad we own 5 different models.

They are good, but other cars are good also :)

Personally I love reliability in a car :) :)

The annoying thing about this car was it looked in really good condition and was described as mint, but why would anybody skimp on the servicing on such a car :confused::confused::confused:

Guess it comes down to that thing of anybody can buy a car but can you afford to mantain it ??

£3700 for this car was way below the book price.

Last edited:
Given my brothers was brand new and on 90K when it went back after only 18months looking brand new...

this one on a 51 plate with 60K...only two stamps could be on a lot more?

Surely this could be checked from Lexus though.

At the price is was a cheap car, but fuel / tax is now against any car such as this.

Had an IS200 auto company car and did 137,000 miles in it over 4 years

TheCD player failed at 135k. That's the lot

Nice car, but it never stole my heart like an Alfa did !

I have had three Lexi (is that the plural?:confused: ) and the LS400 I kept for longer than I have ever kept any car. But you didn't really want a posh Corolla with a Camry engine did you?:devil:
I was tempted out of a W124 estate for a Lexus 15 years ago (I was working for Toyota at the time!) but I'm back in a Mercedes now!:D

No-one mentioned that the Lexus IS is RWD, and hence a lot better to drive than many other Euroboxes. There is a IS 200 in the family and it is not boring.

I think the straight-six 2l engine is fairly unique?

I went to look at a GS300 twin-turbo (import and badged 'Aristo' as that variant was not available to buy on the UK market) when they first came out. A fetching shade of pearlescent white with grey leather interior. Despite having all the toys it just looked really plasticy. More to the point, I decided it would never hold it it's value, be difficult to shift...and looked too boy racer with it's chrome alloys!

I have had three Lexi (is that the plural?:confused: )

Ahhh, interesting question! :devil:

Lexus is by itself not a Latin word, well not in the Latin that the Romans spoke at least. ;) If it were, and it was 2nd declension, then lexi would be the nominative plural.

I'm inclined to think that it would probably be a 4th declension noun though (you know, lex plus suffix), in which case the nominative plural would have been just "lexus". :D

Ahhh, interesting question! :devil:

Lexus is by itself not a Latin word, well not in the Latin that the Romans spoke at least. ;) If it were, and it was 2nd declension, then lexi would be the nominative plural.

I'm inclined to think that it would probably be a 4th declension noun though (you know, lex plus suffix), in which case the nominative plural would have been just "lexus". :D

You'd never guess I got 19% in my last Latin exam:eek:
Got the school prize in Fizzix...;)

I have had three Lexi (is that the plural?:confused: ) and the LS400 I kept for longer than I have ever kept any car. But you didn't really want a posh Corolla with a Camry engine did you?:devil:
I was tempted out of a W124 estate for a Lexus 15 years ago (I was working for Toyota at the time!) but I'm back in a Mercedes now!:D

Used to own a Altezza, 2.0L 4 cylinder 215 Bhp:devil: , also a member of the owners club. There was a discussion about this and if I recall correctly Lexi was considered the plural.

I also went from an IS200 to a CLK 270. Different cars but the Lexus was a gem. Different world stepping into a Lexus dealership..miles better than a Stealership. Enjoyed the drving and ownership experience for 4 years. The IS300 has more torque and easily acessible power but unlike most motoring journos who criticise anything slightly different from the norm I understood the character of the IS and learned to exploit its power band.
Lurve the torque of my CLK though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom