I want a C class coupe...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drewiow

Car
Bow 645 ci
...but which one!?

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and one where I immediately need your advice. My GF has recently had her 06 MX-5 written off and we are now on the hunt for a winter/comfy replacement.

The c180 or suchlike looks like a match, not too long, 2 door, reasonable engine size to power ratio and... Good looking (in her opinion).

I own a BMW 645 Covertible so used to a bigger engine and car, but like her choice over any BMW alternative (compact, eww).

There is an array of choices on AT and alike but I wanted to get a consensus over what options to weigh up when choosing a second hand MB C???.

Budget at absolute max is £3000. Engine size not important to stick to the 1.8, so could go for the 2.3 or deisel option.

I live on the Isle of Wight, so popping out to see one costs about £100 each time, so I'd love to go armed with some knowledge and checks to bring back an example we can spend time and money keeping it in top notch condition.

One she likes is this one : Mercedes-Benz C Class 2.5 C230 SE 7G-Tronic 2dr

Not sure if I'm allowed to put links?

Thanks in advance for any wise words,

Drew

Personally I would avoid the C class coupe and go for a clk.
The coupe is a little ungainly (to my eyes) whilst the CLK is one of Mercedes best looking cars in recent years.
Yes, it will cost a little more, but this will be recouped (did you see what I did there ?) when you come to sell.
Stretch yourself a little more and go for AMG sport trim.

You know she's worth it.

I'm feeling a lot of love for the new C coupe... Could be the bpsorrel SLK replacement if it drives as well as it looks!

2016-mercedes-benz-c-class-coupe-officially-unveiled-video-photo-gallery_2.jpg

ok thanks for the tip, there is a CLK on the way tomorrow.

Should she be stuck on a coupe, does anyone have some words of wisdom?

All things being equal (2003/4, FSH, good bodywork & wheels)
Diesels in the price range all have about 130k, would this be a better option to a 90k C180 for example.

Cheers

The one in your link above looks like an honest clean motor and reasonably priced. (Yes links allowed). I don't know the rules about any warranty on private sales though, so that may be something to keep in mind.

Petrol or diesel? Depends on the sort of mileage your GF does and if it warrants the additional cost of a diesel. Also bear in mind that lots of short journeys in a diesel engined car can be problematic if it's fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) causing it to clog up.

One other thing you need to be aware of is models fitted with the M271 (1796cc) engine. There are lots of posts on here relating to it, if you search for M271 engine problems. Timing chain stretching and camshaft gear teeth wearing, possibly allowing the timing chain to jump a cog or two, resulting in damage to the engine. The M271 is a single link chain and AFAIK all other MB's are double link.

Check the info in this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_C-Class_(W203)
Click on the Engines (Show) for petrol towards the top for info on which models have the M271 variant.

Go for a late 2004 or newer facelift model. They started galvanising the bodies around that time. Earlier ones can suffer from rust. Clear glass headlights are the easiest facelift option to spot.

P.S. My niece has a Coupe and loves it, albeit a diesel version.

HTH

Last edited:
It's the M272 engine that has/might have the timing chain wear issues isn't it?

The one in the link looks a nice example but the £490 tax would put me off on a car of that value.

What Grumpyoldgit said (M271)
Listen for a clicking sound from the dash when you first switch on - this is the A/C steppers and could prove expensive
Rust on the wheelarches - it starts on the inner lip. If you see any factor it in. If there is none, that is good.
Check everything electrical works.

Facelifts are generally good cars. (round dials as opposed to semi-circular)

The one in the link looks a nice example but the £490 tax would put me off on a car of that value.

I'm pretty sure that AT has got that wrong?! it should be £290 i think.

Thanks GrumpOldGit,

I live on the isle of wight so daily trips are only about 13-20 miles at a time at most. other trips will be <5 miles. so maybe the diesel option isn't best placed.

After the car hunting tomorrow i'll try and post some pictures and questions about what i've seen, there is no better way than a forum to help decide (or argue for hours on end :))

One thing I forgot... spare / replacement keys for these cars are approx £230.
3 button remote, (new style with chrome edges now supplied) and metal blade key.

Worth factoring in when negotiating.

Looking more into the CLK's

Look like a way better car, in general...

Is there deemed to be a good vs poor model to go for?

I've read a lot on hear about M111 vs others.

The CLK 320 is kinda large, but the CLK200 1.8 feels too small,

I'd rather go for reliability over fuel consumption though

Cheers

I got better consumption from my clk320 than the clk200 I have now.
The m112 engine really is a beauty.

Look for the same things as a c class coupe as it is similar, but in my opinion these are the things to go for in order of 'necessity'

Facelift
Auto
Leather
AMG sport (transforms the looks)

Comand, park sensors and xenons are good to have.

Good luck!

Thanks again,

Unfortunately while I agree with your list, those options take me over budget.

A facelift model for under £3k takes the mileage up to 165k + unless that a good compromise for the facelift?

Leather, auto are a must though!

I'll be sure to share the choice later on,

3.2 M112 is the only engine to get - no major probs just oil leaks to watch out for

1.8 M271 (180k, 200k, 230K) are best avoided - you will get a big bill eventually due to timing chain

2.5 (C230) / 3.5 M272 are also best avoided due to the balancer shaft problems

I personally would hold out for a early post facelift 3.2 C Coupe or 3.2 CLK - they do pop up time to time around the 3 grand mark

You will be surprised how good the 3.2's are on petrol !

Thats nice
It will drink on the IOW though.....

Pootling around the island, pace isn't really necessary - though you yourself do have a nice, large engine, so perhaps you want displacement

DO get a pano roof - I had them (its two glass panels) and with the front one opening up an back fully and the windows down, its nigh on a convertible...:thumb:

I was very happy with my C class coupe, practical 4 seater with good boot. I had a Cdi220 which as Euro 4 didn't have a dpf, so if a diesel comes up, don't discount it (and a C200 is easily remapped to the C220 cdi 150bhp and torque by any of the South Coast independents near Southampton to save a long trip)
So if you fall across a diesel, no need to discount it entirely

The CLK is a much longer car btw

PS Sports / Evolution / AMG spec (plus pano roof) is good and I would go for that over a facelift car, but get a late 53 reg 04 year car (last of the old ones as I went for) as prior to that, even on the sunny IOW the arches will rust.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom