I want to build a new workshop/garage, advice/ideas requested

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbjeppm

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
As my boys have got older, I seem to have more and more car parts/alloy wheels lying around the house/shed/ garage, and the driveway constantly seems to have cars in the air on axel stands etc, i have been thinking about building a new garage/workshop. We all like cars, eldest is an engineer, and becoming more and more competent.

I have the space at the side of the house to fit a 4m wide by 6m building, which would be accessible from the road.

In an ideal world I would like to fit a car lift as well, just to make life easier, and they seem to be relatively affordable at around 1000/1200 pounds, but I have no idea if they would be suitable for domestic use.

I also seem to be struggling to find information on clearance height if you have a lift. Also looking for ideas on building suppliers, I want something that looks aesthetically pleasing rather than just, a corrugated metal workshop.

I am happy to lay the concrete pad and erect any buildings myself, will need professional help for electric supply (any thoughts on needs here, and future needs, I am well aware that lifts require dedicated phased supplies, what about later if I want to add an air compressor or welding equipment etc).

This is very much exploratory thoughts at the moment, so any input gratefully accepted.

Budgetwise, I am thinking that I do not want to spend more than around 5k on the building, then I can add tools/equipment as I go.

Last edited:
If you buy a lift get a good one. For £1200 it will be utter ****e. It has to be bolted to the floor properly in 12" deep of concrete minimum..

Allow 3.3-3.5m roof clearance for a two poster, can be slotted between roof thrusts to keep overall height of the garage to a minimum. Suppliers will advise on exact height specification required and offer both single & three phase lifts.

When designing the garage I'd make the priorities, natural light, insulation & ventilation.

I think 5K is tight for materials but doable, bloody easy for things to mount up, especailly the one's you didn't allow for - a hundred here & a hundred there! The overall spec and extras is the killer cost wise. Good planning & a bit of discipline will be key.

There are plenty of secondhand ramps about but most are three-phase. It's possible to re-motor them to run on single phase. This would reduce your installation costs

Nick Froome

One other thing I meant to mention. Consider the house in relation to the overall exterior finish of the garage, if possible finish it to a standard were they compliment one another.

Don't forget to budget a few grand for an extra large flat screen, decent sound system, beer fridge, and a couple of La-Z-Boy chairs.
A couple of heavy duty motorcycle lifts would also be a good investment.

When can I come round?

Metal roofs condensate on the inside and will drip during the colder months unless ventilated well.

Natural roof light is a great, but allow for the need get up there occasionally for maintenance. Also, get it guttered properly or roof water running down the pitch will find it's way in.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on scissor lifts?

They seem to be much easier to install, and fold flat.

And if i go for the version that extends to about 1m high, I should have less roof height issues.

Does anybody have one of these, and what do they think?

I was thinking something like this

AS-7530D Garage Scissor Lift - Automotech Services Limited

They limit access to the underside of the car. I would only use a 2 poster

Any thoughts on scissor lifts?

They seem to be much easier to install, and fold flat.

And if i go for the version that extends to about 1m high, I should have less roof height issues.

Does anybody have one of these, and what do they think?

I was thinking something like this

AS-7530D Garage Scissor Lift - Automotech Services Limited

Pass thanks, if you're going to do it do right, if possible.

I have a single phase, single post ramp in mine. It's not quite as good as a two or four post but it's not far off and it sits against a wall with the 'prongs' dropping flush into the floor thus maximising the usable floorspace.
It's surprising how quickly you'll fill it with cr*p ;)

Friend of mine has a rather splendid wooden triple garage + workshop area.

It is called a "cart lodge" rather than a garage but is functionally the same.

Height was a problem so has a pukka inspection pit complete with jack rails, covers, lighting etc in one of the bays.

Not a cheap option but being the owner of a number of "classic" vehicles he spends rather a lot of time under them!

For the opening at the front, go for a single wide opening rather than a more traditional 2 x 8ft door sets with a pillar between. i nearly made that mistake, instead had a single 16ft opening with roller shutter door, remote controlled. Unfortunately it's at the old house, and I miss it to this day.

My garage was 20ft wide and 26ft deep, so I had a pit crosswise across the bottom. the wide single opening allowed me to get a car over the pit easily - I put a friend's Renault Grand Espace over it without problem!

There was a big thread a year or so back about building a new garage with a hoist installed - not sure if it was on here or t'other side, IIRC it was R2D2's thread.

Alternatively have you thought about a pit? It would enable you to keep the standard height and you can get pre-fabricated pits that have jacks that ride on rails built into the edge.

A cheap ramp is not a good idea, you will be very limited what you can put on it weight and size wize. I would say a pit is a good way to go unless you want to spend a lot on a decent 2 post ramp.

May be worth Laying the concrete suitable for a ramp in case a good second hand one comes up!

If you are going to have a lathe or milling machine organise the power points etc so they can be in the area best served by natural light!

This might give you ideas. The garage on the right..

houses this..

A 4ton Dunlop 'proper' hoist converted to single phase electrics using a 3hp ripsaw motor. Cost me £1200 delivered on Ebay.

And without too much headroom I can do this...

Hee hee. :D:D

Bestest thing I've ever done. Go for it.

Mate, next time you pop round can you arrive on your pink pushbike :thumb::D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom