I want to get back to Mercedes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lfckeeper

Car
Bmw 5 series (Former W203 C class and 2x W219 CLS owner)
Had my BMW 520 for a few months now and ... No .. Just no..

For those that don't know I had a W203 C180 and 2 w219 Cls

Don't get me wrong the 5er is a really good car .... Looks good, very well put together... Its just uninspiring

Daft things bug me too... auto windscreen wipers... Yeah, you have to turn them on!!? Fold mirror? Stand holding the look button for what feels like forever ...

Also whenever I see a CLS... I get regretfull (219 and 218s!)

It was the right decision to sell the 219 .. Just wish I'd made a better choice of replacement

Ah well... Two years or so to go...

Is there an option to end your agreement early? Life is to short to progressively dislike more and more the things you interact with every day!

Is there an option to end your agreement early? Life is to short to progressively dislike more and more the things you interact with every day!

It was bought with a loan as opposed to PCP/lease. .. We've just bought a 3rd company (we're in retail) and I've just bought a new (to me) Motorbike .. So unfortunately now isn't the right time to change.

It was bought with a loan as opposed to PCP/lease. .. We've just bought a 3rd company (we're in retail) and I've just bought a new (to me) Motorbike .. So unfortunately now isn't the right time to change.
At least the option is there if it’s a conventional loan. Good look with the new business!

Your in retail and you bought the wrong car?......

Had my BMW 520 for a few months now and ... No .. Just no..

For those that don't know I had a W203 C180 and 2 w219 Cls

Don't get me wrong the 5er is a really good car .... Looks good, very well put together... Its just uninspiring

Daft things bug me too... auto windscreen wipers... Yeah, you have to turn them on!!? Fold mirror? Stand holding the look button for what feels like forever ...

Also whenever I see a CLS... I get regretfull (219 and 218s!)

It was the right decision to sell the 219 .. Just wish I'd made a better choice of replacement

Ah well... Two years or so to go...

Worrying as I wanted to go from a Merc to a F10 5 series...

What do you mean you have to turn auto wipers on?

Worrying as I wanted to go from a Merc to a F10 5 series...

What do you mean you have to turn auto wipers on?

On my Mercs ....when it rains the wipers come on

On the F10 ... It rains you have to press the auto wiper button on the stalk

It's a silly thing not to like it .. but to me it kinda defeats the object of auto wipers

On my Mercs ....when it rains the wipers come on

On the F10 ... It rains you have to press the auto wiper button on the stalk

It's a silly thing not to like it .. but to me it kinda defeats the object of auto wipers

Anything else?

Anything else?

I wouldn't be put off too much by my experience. It does everything well...but I think, for me, that's part of the problem. It's has no charisma.

It handles well enough (take the run flat's off though!)... The 520d moves OK but I'd recommend you go for a more powerful one if you can (530d etc) ... Mine has hud which I like.

As I say don't be put off.

I went from a W219 to an f32 4 series , the only areas that the CLS excelled in was the build quality but to be fair to the BM then a 6 series would be more of a comparison and the looks.

The straight six engine and ZF gearbox are outstanding as is the tech within the car, the mirrors can be coded to autofold as soon as the car is locked and the auto wiper function is always active if the stock is left in the up position, and the green led is on.

FWIW I think the CLS ,in all guises is still one of the best looking cars on the road today , especially in black.

Kenny

Auto wipers, wouldn’t it be the same process for the CLS? You have to leave it in auto mode via the stalk.

I went from a W219 to an f32 4 series , the only areas that the CLS excelled in was the build quality but to be fair to the BM then a 6 series would be more of a comparison and the looks.

The straight six engine and ZF gearbox are outstanding as is the tech within the car, the mirrors can be coded to autofold as soon as the car is locked and the auto wiper function is always active if the stock is left in the up position, and the green led is on.

FWIW I think the CLS ,in all guises is still one of the best looking cars on the road today , especially in black.

Kenny

I'll try leaving the stalk up and put the auto on see if that works

Auto wipers, wouldn’t it be the same process for the CLS? You have to leave it in auto mode via the stalk.

If memory serves with the Cls you twist the stalk down and the wipers are on auto. In the BMW there is an auto button on the end of the stalk which for me turns off if you turn the car off.. But I'm hoping the above fixes my issue

....I’ve only had it a couple of months and I hate it....come join me!

Haha .... Yeah it seems like that.. But I think this is more of a personal thing than the car being 'bad' .... I'm just not feeling it with the BMW. In all the mercs if had, I got to the end of the journey wanting to carry on, I wanted to spend time in the car, I don't with the 5er.. Its 'just a car'.

Edit: I think I was expecting so much more from the 5 series too ... The way its held up as the 'pinnacle of large saloon cars' in many reviews

I'll try leaving the stalk up and put the auto on see if that works

On the F32 if you hold the stalk up then a green LED illuminates on the stalk , wipers now on auto.

Coding can be done via a Bluetooth adapter, plugged into the OBD connector, and an App on your phone.

Kenny

So you have to set the wipers to auto every time you start the car? Is it a software or physical switch?

I had a 1 Series last year and the auto wipers are annoying, I imagine it's the same as the 5 Series. Just a button you press - no switch, toggle or stalk position. Saying that coding is very easy on BMWs which I wish was the way for Mercedes too, theres loads of little settings you can change.

So you have to set the wipers to auto every time you start the car? Is it a software or physical switch?

Yeah, it's a physical button on the end of the wiper stalk
_20180813_110138.JPG

I had a 1 Series last year and the auto wipers are annoying, I imagine it's the same as the 5 Series. Just a button you press - no switch, toggle or stalk position. Saying that coding is very easy on BMWs which I wish was the way for Mercedes too, theres loads of little settings you can change.

Might have to have a look into the coding

I found the problem with the BMW auto wipers was that you couldn't see the green light showing they were on without doing a big swerve to the right - it's on the stalk, but well hidden by the steering wheel.

I think the problem is you went for the 520d....not the most inspiring engine in the bmw range. I went from an E350 CDi coupe to an F30 330d M Sport and the BMW feels better in every way.

The 3 litre Diesel engine is superb. The ZF 8 speed gearbox is lightening fast. The interior feels much more modern as do the looks on the outside.

The 2 litre diesel is very agricultural though pretty frugal. It’s never going to be exciting however. I’d only buy another Mercedes now if it was an AMG model..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom