I want to loose weight AND reduce my BMI to 22/24 - Diet and exercise advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Ok.

so as some of you are aware.. i am getting married in the next 9-15 months.. dont know yet when, but we are nailing down to discussions..:eek:

Anyhow, i need to loose some weight and get .. um fit!

i weight 15 and half stone, or 97kg, have a 37/38 waist and am about 5"10/11

My BMI is around 30, and i want to get it down to less than 24.. ideally 20..

any pointers advice etc appreciated for diet, fitness etc..

i eat everything (as you can tell) apart from Beef

thank you in advance once again!

Firstly I think the problem is your height, 6' 3" and all would be about ok:D:D

How much do you drink, my overweightness, nice word is down mainly to too much beer/lager 150cal per pint is and it soon adds up. Exercising, I would seek proffesional advise, let them check all the important bits are functionong correctly before commencing any exercise although an hour or so walking a day is good exercise imo. You could also start swimming, another good exercise. Good luck

Pop down to your local GP and ask to see the nurse. Advice on diet and exercise will be forthcoming. Dont know your age but general checkup could be given as well:thumb:

I had a full MOT today including 2 armful of blood test ( The blood donor sketch comes to mind) BP etc...very efficient. But if you are the kind of person who wouldnt want to put your car on MB STAR to see all the faults, dont ask for all the tests!:eek:

Good luck with your forthcoming wedding...loads to organise:rolleyes:

join a boxing club and take up a martial art, i train at a boxing club and krav-maga, get's you fit and after 6-12 months you could destroy 99.5% of people out there, if you needed to of course.

Get a personal trainer.

It will cost you a LOT of money. The sheer expense will force you to go and see him once/twice a week. He will make sure you push it at the gym, he will also make you feel a little guilty on your eating habits.

Pop down to your local GP and ask to see the nurse. Advice on diet and exercise will be forthcoming. Dont know your age but general checkup could be given as well:thumb:

I had a full MOT today including 2 armful of blood test ( The blood donor sketch comes to mind) BP etc...very efficient. But if you are the kind of person who wouldnt want to put your car on MB STAR to see all the faults, dont ask for all the tests!:eek:

Good luck with your forthcoming wedding...loads to organise:rolleyes:

had full blood tests last week, and my results were perfect, nothing alarming, and things that were a concern in 2007, are no more :bannana:

I don't know how accurate this quote is, but it looks like diet is far more important than exercise for weight loss, although exercise will make you feel fitter

Medium big guy (100kg) decides to grab a munro after breakfast (climb a hill bigger than 3,000 feet).

That's 10 x 100 x 1000 joules One Million joules of energy!

How big should the bacon buttie be?

One million joules = 250Kcal - or in bacon buttie terms, a poor thin wee thing.

The 'go to see your GP' suggestion is a good one, and is the best start in my opinion.

I had the same idea a couple of years ago, starting from very similar statistics. Ask about the MAP programme. It helped me, but is useless without some commitment and exercise. My mistake was not keeping up with some exercise afterwards, so I am pretty much back to square one now. :(

Feel free to PM me if you want the details.

I'm a body builder and when cutting back I eat seafood and buckets of rice. You can't go wrong and you will lose the weight. Recipe that I never tire of, cause gives me everything I need:

Get a whole bulb of garlic and crush it (I use two), put it in a frying pan with two tablespoons of olive oil, put half of cup of water in and put the some vegetables in, diffent kinds everytime. Meanwhile put one cup of rice in a rice maker or whatever you use to cook it. Now, when the veg is cooked a bit, put in a whole packet of kingsize prawns and some black pepper. Once cooked put the rice on a plate and pour the veg and prawns on top. You have a very tasty/healthy meal that will feel you up and the garlic is good for the heart. For afters, get some dried apricots on toast. Eat this everyday, have rice cakes and little fruit in the day with plenty of water. Black coffee now and then to curb any hunger pangs during the day. Once a week don't eat anything from 8pm and fast until 8pm, just once a week mind. Now go to www.stronglifts.com, this will get you A and B workout, it's works 100% and not hard. You will turn into superman, the results will be amazing. Good luck!

I was always quite slim,until I reached my mid 50`s. I then put on just over a stone, and two inches on my waistline. My lifestyle hadnt changed,still ate the same,took the same excersise etc.It just happened.

My doctor is now on my case,my blood pressue is going up,and has told me to lose a stone.

He is a doctor of the old school,told me to lose it but no advice as to do so.

So far I have only managed to lose a tiny amount,simply by cutting back on the fairly small amount of food I eat.

In my area if you are over a certain BMI you can be referred to a weight loss clinic by your GP. (Simba - you mention you live in Kensington where this weight clinic is - request a referral from your GP). I went on one last year, which I thoroughly enjoyed (for the wrong reasons - I spent much of my time winding up the dietician) but after a year I have lost almost 30kgs and am still going down. I am not going to summarise a seven week course, but it was a process of managing your portion size, eating healthily through reduction in fat intake and re-balancing towards fruit and veg, not cutting out meals, and not giving in to lapses, plus increasing your exercise.

My fellow dieters did have some wonderful misconceptions, such as believing that fruit has no calories, and the best was the belief that by eating less you get heavier (phlogiston anyone).

Last edited:
How much exercise do you currently do? If none, then introducing something, no matter how little, it will help greatly. I suggest swimming, running or cycling....30 minutes twice a week to begin with. Cut out snacking and reduce your carbs. Buy wholemeal bread instead of white and buy semi skimmed milk.

How much exercise do you currently do? If none, then introducing something, no matter how little, it will help greatly. I suggest swimming, running or cycling....30 minutes twice a week to begin with. Cut out snacking and reduce your carbs. Buy wholemeal bread instead of white and buy semi skimmed milk.

good advice, don't set yourself impossible targets Boss, remember the wedding is planned so she must luv ya just the way you are :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom