I want to use swear words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
Most people on here will know I don't often have much sympathy for anyone caught speeding but in this instance I'm of the opinion that the law has been proved to be an ass.

A work colleague was driving on a quiet dual carriageway at 70 MPH when he came across 3 wagons in convoy doing about 55. He pulled out to overtake and as he got alongside the first wagon a police car appeared in his mirror, sirens blaring and lights flashing, obviously in a hurry to get somewhere. Being a good citizen he decided the best thing to do was get out of the way as fast as he could and as there was no space between the wagons to pull in he put his foot down. As he passed the last wagon he pulled in and at that moment a Gatso caught him doing 93 MPH which he says would be about right. The police car came past at well in excess of 100 MPH.
He duly got a ticket which he wasn't too concerned about as he felt he had good grounds for an appeal.

Well yesterday his appeal was turned down, he got the standard "No excuses, pay up now or we'll increase the fine, throw you in jail, etc etc."
He's devastated, it's his first driving offence in 18 years.

I'd like to ask people on here. What would you have done in the same situation ?

24 hours ago I know what my answer would have been but now I'm not too sure.

My first instinct (as I'm sure most people's would be) when I see blue lights in the mirror is to get out of the way as quickly and safely as possible. Would have done exactly the same as your mate in that situation. Very bad luck indeed.

S.

I agree - I would have done exactly the same too. Really bad luck

What he could do is see if the local police has any record of the time and place etc - he could use that as evidence maybe.

That sucks.

What appeal - in which court? Forget Magistrates. Invest in a Barister, go to Crown and get all your money and points back.

I may have done the same thing too, but would have called the police afterwards to log the event and request details of what incident the patrol car was attending to try and get something that could be referred against in court.

sym said:
My first instinct (as I'm sure most people's would be) when I see blue lights in the mirror is to get out of the way as quickly and safely as possible. Would have done exactly the same as your mate in that situation. Very bad luck indeed.

S.
Having had run ins with the police , the only blue lights that justify moving anywhere quickly are those of amblance , fire brigade and coast guard.

you rub my back and ill rub yours comes to mind .. or not:devil:

The other thing is too. I wouldnt like to be in the positon of hvaing to go through a red light camera while an emergency service vehicle is trying to get through. you really think they will quash it? I doubt it..

Perhaps one of our resident traffic officers would like to comment ?!

Thought the highway code says you have to get out of the way for any emergency vehicle displaying blue lights & a siren . . . mind you - the police vehicle's intention might be to ask you to slow down & stop . . . so guess it works both ways.

At night though, for instance, how are you supposed to know what sort of vehicle is coming up on you if all you can see are blue lights ?

S.

as I understand it - you have to move safely out of the way at the first convenient opportunity.

It does not give you a license to break the law.

The speed limit should have been adhered to and the onus in this instance would have been for the lorry drivers to makes a space for your mate to pull into.

Memory is vague on this - so the facts may not be 100% accurate ..... A similiar thing happened a little while ago (posted on PH). Some guys other half drove onto someones front garden to make room for an emergency vehicle. She did not see a line of big rocks and drove over them - causing extensive damage to the side/under the car.

The bottom line - she was at fault for not pulling over onto a safe place on the public highway.
K

fuzzer said:
..... I wouldnt like to be in the positon of hvaing to go through a red light camera while an emergency service vehicle is trying to get through. .....

FYI Traffic light cameras are not activated under 11 mph.

Ref original post:- If you don't get out of the way quickly will you be prosecuted for obstructing the Police ? Perhaps Manpolsabre can answer this.

i would, drop a cogand plant my foot to get the hell out of the way, common sense aint it, then call the coppers and say ok i had a police car behind me trying to get to a emergency, couldent get over so i put my foot down to get past the obstuction and out of his way but i went through a speed trap

tbh its reducilous as if you didnt move you would have had your detials radio'd to another police car that would whip you to the side and tell you off for stopping hte copper gettign there

ok who gave me a negative reputation for saying you cant win eather way in this thread, only sodding rep i ahve and its a bloody negative

well if your gonna give me a negative then at least have the stones to put your name to it and a reason not just leave it blank (this is the reason they removed the reputation feature on talkaudio)

Last edited:
why

A work colleague was driving on a quiet dual carriageway at 70 MPH when he came across 3 wagons in convoy doing about 55
55/56 is there limit, wait untill a clear road ahead is found then overtake safey, car drivers seam to change when they see a lgv something takes over them, to overtake us what ever the cost, OK and this is shouting TAKE OVER ME IN MY 20 TON + AND PULL RIGHT IN FRONT THEN IF YOU HAVE TO SLAM ON THE BRAKES,THEN YOU AND WHOEVER IS IN THE CAR WITH YOU WILL END UP UNDER MY WHEELS BECAUSE I CAN NOT BL***ING STOP ON A SIXPENCE GIVE US ROOM , IF WE HIT YOU YOU WILL BE HURT , SQUASHED FLATTEN PANCAK,MAYBE GOD FORBID DEAD, oh and prob me to, we all want to get home, safely is the best way, and i think you should book some lesson to see what its like driving a lgv :devil: , go on have a go you might like it

samuelellis said:
ok who gave me a negative reputation for saying you cant win eather way in this thread, only sodding rep i ahve and its a bloody negative

well if your gonna give me a negative then at least have the stones to put your name to it and a reason not just leave it blank (this is the reason they removed the reputation feature on talkaudio)

You should have at least one positive one now mate ;)

Does anyone use the reputation thing?

I don't - not sure if anyone has given any to me (positive or negative).
Mind you - it's probably 100% negative anyway - so best not to check anyway I think.

K

Kinky said:
Does anyone use the reputation thing?

I don't - not sure if anyone has given any to me (positive or negative).
Mind you - it's probably 100% negative anyway - so best not to check anyway I think.

K
He he - if only could dear heart:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kinky again.

:bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

If it's that little green blob next to number of posts - then I'm an unknown quantity.

Actually - thats about right !

K

Reactions: sym
Kinky said:
If it's that little green blob next to number of posts - then I'm an unknown quantity.

K
Sorry, who are you ?

sym said:
Sorry, who are you ?
But you have much to be proud of - care to share:devil: ;) :D

Reactions: sym
Kinky said:

K
think yourself lucky. i only have 1 dull chrome blob <world's smallest violin plays>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom