I was sold my car as an AMG but my friend is saying it is not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I wouldn’t worry too much, that is a nice looking car and if you like it even better.
As said above it has the AMG body kit etc but not the engine.

How can you tell, well if you put your foot down in yours, your passenger may comment on how it picks up nicely and how good it goes, if it where an AMG your passenger would grip the seat and swear loudly as it took off down the road.

Enjoy yours and maybe get an AMG, after all you are already caught up in the Mercedes Benz ownership clan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not exactly true, my SL500 R231 AMG sport is quicker than some true AMGs, eg the SLC43 or the S63 of the same age and faster than most older AMGs or the 4x4 variants.

Externally some AMG trim models can look very similar too, engine plaque, rear badge and dials are the best indicator although all these can be changed after market, the V5 is the best way of telling especially if main stealers are now telling lies to the public!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Not exactly true, my SL500 R231 AMG sport is quicker than some true AMGs, eg the SLC43 or the S63 of the same age and faster than most older AMGs or the 4x4

Of course there are exceptions, the clue to yours is in the “500” and I guess you bought this because of this and not because it has an AMG body kit.

Of course there are exceptions, the clue to yours is in the “500” and I guess you bought this because of this and not because it has an AMG body kit.

Bought it to avoid ABC suspension compulsory on AMGs..

It’s basically two descriptions, one is a ‘sport’ and one is an ‘AMG’

If you go around telling people (and even worse, a garage for a quote on something) that you own an AMG, you’ll either be corrected or overcharged

I had a c200 previously to the amg, and I just called it a sport

I just call mine an S63. People that already know will work it out.

My bigger concern would be the salesman telling the OP that he has the more powerful engine when in fact it is the base level engine and the same as any non AMG trim car.

Hate it when people who should know better take advantage of others.

She! [ Nina?] has a car with a 1595cc petrol engine so even the C180 is misleading- welcome to the world of Mercedes badge engineering.;)
Welcome to the club and don't be put off by responses to your first thread you didn't know about the "never pressing the AMG button" thing :eek::eek::eek:

My bigger concern would be the salesman telling the OP that he has the more powerful engine when in fact it is the base level engine and the same as any non AMG trim car.

Hate it when people who should know better take advantage of others.

The OP is a woman and the salesman maybe saw a chance to pull the wool over her eyes - and he did. It may not be as bad as it sounds because the OP didn't pay the price of a C63 AMG and probably didn't want one anyway. If questioned, the salesman will say 'I said it was an AMG spec, which it is' blah blah.

If you want more amusement on this type of thing, look at the "Inappropriate Badging" thread on MBOA!

Some of us (me included) take the view that if the vehicle has "an AMG" engine then it is really an "AMG".

Any and everything else is simply a cosmetic enhancement using the halo-branding. Nothing wrong with this. These are "AMG Line" or "AMG Sport" with many of the looks but without the guts.

Constantly hear people brag "mine is the AMG"/"I drive a AMG".............no you imbecile, you drive a C200/E220/etc with nice wheels, fat rubber and bits of accentuated plastics.

To be fair to the sales person... given that the OP was not aware of the AMG brand (and its use in MB cars), it is also quite possible that the sales person did describe the car correctly, and that the confusion arises from the fact that the OP was unaware of the difference between an AMG C63 and a C180 AMG-Line.

Guys, have a look at your responses here. We had a simple question about what constitutes an AMG. To be fair as I and others have said, plaque on engine. I’m not sure some of the reposes will either help or encourage the OP to stay.

Chris, the question "What constitutes a real AMG ?" is not a simple question. The OP would have been better off asking 'What do women really want ?'

Much easier to answer......:banana:

If you plant your right foot down hard and the acceleration makes you shit yourself, it's a proper AMG, if not, then it's not

If you plant your right foot down hard and the acceleration makes you shit yourself, it's a proper AMG, if not, then it's not
Not a true test, there are non AMGs quicker than AMGs so same could happen in one of those...

It's a tricky one as much like the M or RS badged cars the term is used for what are essentially non-performance cars with the styling added, including AMG.

There are AMG packs that get added to cars so they are styled similarly, some of which have the AMG badges added as well.

Personally I don't consider 'an AMG' to be anything less than the highest performing model (35/53 models accepted). Effectively you can have any engine spec with AMG styling added though.

There are of course some models which have comparable power to the AMG model but without the badging but I'm not sure it applies to the likes of an A180, C220 etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom