I will never buy another Mercedes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBFairy

Car
CDI 220 E Class
I am beyond frustrated and very angry. I have a 5 year old Fire Red Mercedes which I bought from new. I have had it serviced every time at a MB dealership. When I took it to an independent body shop they drew my attention to the micro bubbling which every service seems to have missed. I then approached my dealership who sent me to what they said was their approved body shop. Pictures were taken and I was advised that I would be contacted. This was in late July!
After a month I contacted my dealership and was passed from pillar to post. Several long calls to CS later I was no further forward and now it is December! CS refuse to deal with me via email as now I have totally lost trust in them as I have been told lie after lie on the phone.
I will certainly NEVER buy another MB after the way that I have been treated by customer services. Could anyone advise me as to what I should do now?

It's a five year old diesel..I would drive it through their showroom window :p

Not really. I believe this colour has been problematic. If it has had every service done by MB from new they must have some liability ?

As above, a few members here had their red cars completely resprayed under warranty.

I am beyond frustrated and very angry. I have a 5 year old Fire Red Mercedes which I bought from new. I have had it serviced every time at a MB dealership. When I took it to an independent body shop they drew my attention to the micro bubbling which every service seems to have missed. I then approached my dealership who sent me to what they said was their approved body shop. Pictures were taken and I was advised that I would be contacted. This was in late July!
After a month I contacted my dealership and was passed from pillar to post. Several long calls to CS later I was no further forward and now it is December! CS refuse to deal with me via email as now I have totally lost trust in them as I have been told lie after lie on the phone.
I will certainly NEVER buy another MB after the way that I have been treated by customer services. Could anyone advise me as to what I should do now?

Search "Fire Opal Red" on here and Google, you'll be buried in info from others who have had this problem - and as you're first owner and full main dealer service history MB have to put it right at absolutely no cost to yourself, including a loan car while they fix it.

I would do as suggested earlier. I had a rust problem with a rear door a small bubble near the door handle. I had bought this car at 3 years old and didn't know quite what to expect from the dealer. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Ther took photos and contacted me a few days later, collected my car, renewed the door panel and delivered back home. I think it is all down to the dealer. If no joy contact MB UK head office. Have you checked your warranty when I bought my present E320 new in 2005 it came with a 30year warranty against rust coming through.

As others have advised here, a very known problem, my wifes 14 plate SLK55 suffered the same fate, my local dealership dealt with it, car was gone for 6 weeks, not ideal, true value of the car under minded by back to metal respray, but MB only spraying metal work now, previously did the whole car, car looked quite good on its return, but now I notice a bit of colour mismatch from metal panel to plastic panel, so all in all, a nightmare scenario, and just awaiting some signs of early rust at a future date now,Ughh! . In Op's situation, I would advise contacting MB UK if the dealership is stalling, as OP's comments a real poor show by Mercedes, but they don't care, they will only do what they are enforce to do, so just make yourself a nuisance at MB UK, they have a duty, given the precedent of respraying the multiple of cars in this Opal Red they have already done, which I am informed runs into thousands, they know the problem exists. Best of luck OP>

Just a couple of tips.

MBUK don't care if you buy another Mercedes or not so I'd keep that to yourself.

MBUK might be more compliant if you are considering another MB sometime soon.

F##k it drive it through the showroom windows.
Sorry I have been drinking.

Don't phone, write or email. Turn up in person when you have several hours to spare. Don't leave until you have a result.

It wouldn't surprise me if MB tell everyone to sod off initially with this issue.

But then go on to fix a percentage of cars for those who complain enough.

They must save a few quid doing it and it's not like they care about their customers to worry about loyalty in the main.

In addition to taking pictures the bodyshop in question should have taken paint thickness measurements over the areas in question. This is to check the car is still on its original factory paint. One thing that would disqualify the car from remediation by MB is if its not on its original paint and has already received paint. Its possible that the measurement was never done or the results interpreted wrongly. I would take the car to another MB approved bodyshop and get your own report done.

Saturday morning go to a busy MB showroom, collar a salesperson and then talk very loudly about your problem so prospective MB buyers can hear you and just how unhappy you are - has worked for me in the past.

CS refuse to deal with me via email as now I have totally lost trust in them as I have been told lie after lie on the phone.
This part is telling. I have found that CS have been very helpful in getting a dealer to offer a satisfactory resolution. Have you asked them how this matter will be resolved ? Have you been abusive to them ?
Your best bet might be to speak to CS and tell them you need to escalate the issue.

Also speak to the GM at your dealership.

I would go and sit on the forecourt at the dealership . And tell the Mercedes dealer you will be posting this paint problem on to the media web sites if nothing is done .And also talk to prospective buyers as they show up to see the new stock.. And dont be meek and mild about this when you next visit. This is the last resort if you dont get help with it from MB.

It's gone past the first stages for me. Go into the dealership with a timeline of what has happened. Ask to speak to the Dealer Principle. If you have no joy, take the Ombudsman route and include all of the information you have, dates, letters, email etc. Good luck

Not sure where you are based but take it into a merc approved body shop and they will do the claim for you. You shouldn’t have any issues! You get 8 year corrosion warranty and providing all paintwork is original or it has been painted by a Mercedes approves bodyshop MBUK should pay for it.

You’re being told they will pay for it, but they will only cough up for spraying metal, any plastic and non metal parts you’ll have to fork out for yourself

If they gesture a good will (hopefully) they will pay for the lot but just as a warning the way this thread is going you’ll be under the impression it won’t cost you a penny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom