I wish I'd.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WOODYTHEWISE

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E 500 Coupe.
As the header. Is there anything, in hindsight, you wished you had done in times gone by.?
In the early 80s i took part in an international road rally. The rally took place in the UK but was open to teams from anywhere. The drivers were supposedly amateur, but support from the vehicle manufacturers was permitted.
I was given the use of a Jeep Cherokee Chief.
The rally was over mixed ground including off road and public roads. At the end of the rally ( Not Placed )
I was offered a job by Jeep...still undecided whether i should have taken the job or not.

I wish I'd/we'd moved to Scotland sooner than 2006. We'd talked about it for 10 years but I was stupidly obsessed with clearing our Mortgage before we even started looking. The birth of our daughter in 2005 was the push we needed. Didn't want to bring her up in the city, especially in the area we were based.

Not really a regret as such. Like Chris above I like to look forward, not back.

Too many to list but...............

I wish I had never started smoking. Stopped nearly 8 years ago but the money wasted was criminal. I estimate I set fire to over £50k over the years.

Secondly, I wish I had invested in property far earlier. I was 30 before I bought my first house. So much more could have been saved instead of paying down the mortgage before I retired.

I often wish I’d emigrated to Australia when I had the chance. Two of my brothers and two sisters managed it so I get to visit a lot, but it’s not the same as living there.

I wish I'd/we'd moved to Scotland sooner than 2006. We'd talked about it for 10 years but I was stupidly obsessed with clearing our Mortgage before we even started looking. The birth of our daughter in 2005 was the push we needed. Didn't want to bring her up in the city, especially in the area we were based.

Not really a regret as such. Like Chris above I like to look forward, not back.
I try to avoid looking to the future too much too. Depression is linked to rumination, looking back. Anxiety is linked to catastrophising when looking forward. Can't win either way! :D

I try to avoid looking to the future too much too. Depression is linked to rumination, looking back. Anxiety is linked to catastrophising when looking forward. Can't win either way! :D
Great points Chris just a few hours, days, weeks or months at a time to suit the individual. Thinking about the long term future can be worrying for some. We've been chatting to our young daughter about this very thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great points Chris just a few hours, days, weeks or months at a time to suit the individual. thinking about the long term future can be worrying for some. we've been chatting to our young daughter about this very thing.
It's something I have discussed many times with various therapists, shrinks, etc..

Loads of f**k ups but certainly no regrets.

I sussed out a long time ago that every screw up gives you the opportunity to learn something.

I wish I’d bought US dollars in mid 2008. I had spare cash at the time and the rate was over 2 dollars to the pound. I decided to do it, but I was also too busy in a new role to find the time to set up a dollar account, so it didn’t happen. Within four months the rate was down to about $1.30. Ouch!

I don’t so much think “I wish I’d”, but more “I wonder where I’d be if I’d.......”.

For instance, I left the RAF after 9 years, but had been seriously thinking about staying in for 22 years.
In the same boat. Signed up in the Fleet Air Arm for nine years. Should have done the whole twenty two and come out with a very good pension at the ripe old age of thirty nine.

My inbuilt bullshit detector stopped me from being part of the internet revolution in the late Nineties / early Noughties.

I chose instead to spend more time with my kids which is how they ended up so much more like me. (Poor souls). In hobbies, interests and careers.

it’s the professional development thing that I wonder about, rather than the roulette 36-1 chance. The most successful / richest people of the industries I’ve worked in usually seem the most off-balance / unhappy of their younger peers.

A few years ago i got the option to start my own garage, i didnt, guy i know started up on his own in the same place and he is doing very well now

This type of thread has cropped up before and it’s always interesting to read that there’s always a lot of financial based regrets.
Are we that materialistic or shallow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom