I won a SLK on ebay...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fogg

but, I didn't meet the buyer's reserve.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230164297892

2001, Y Reg, Full MBSH, 59,000 miles.

Anyway, I emailed the seller, they're relatively local, and was told that the reserve was set at £11,000. That's more than I was prepared to pay blind, but supposing I went to look at the car, and everything was in order, is £11k a fair value?

I am not looking to own long term, it's just something I need to get out of my system. I've been hankering for a SLK for a number of years, and finally have the means to purchase one. I can afford to lose £500 over 3 or 4 months, but I'd hate to come to sell it in November and discover it's only worth £8k or something.

Please advise.

Thanks.

My gut reaction was £11k is far too much for a 6 year old 200. Parkers would agree.

Mercedes-Benz SLK (96-04)

200K 2d Tip Auto (00) 2000/V

Average mileage 60,000 miles

Original Price£27,775
Franchised Dealer£10,415
Independent Dealer£10,165
Private Good £9,660
Private Poor £7,390
Part Exchange£8,315

Plus it has a tow bar fitted. What has it been towing. It's not unheard of to be used as a towing car but it is rare. I'd want reassutance that it has only been used on occasion and well within it's limits.

Last edited:
Hello,

Welcome, and nice choice of car...however.

Bidding without looking at the car first?? seems odd. When is the next service due? is it a big one or little service. What spec has it has it heated seats?

I just ran it through glasses guide and it came back as

Mercedes-Benz SLK SLK200 Kompressor
2.0 Petrol 2-door Convertible
5 Speed Automatic Rear Wheel Drive
Year: 2001 Y
Mileage: 59,000
spacer.gif

hdr_estimatedValue.gif

blackDot.gif

spacer.gif

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£10000
Average condition:
£9090
Below average condition:
£8010

My dads recently sold an SLK that he had since 1998 and they are very nice cars. I would personally go for the 230 if you can. Quick look on piston heads there's a huge choice.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/220377.htm

I also think if you only want it for say 6months you would lose less on an older one. This looks good.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/201937.htm

Or did you want the facelifted model?

Purely personal but I'm not keen on the colour but if you see the car and are happy with it I'm sure you will have fun for 6 months.

if its fairly local go and ave a look, take £10,000 with you show him the notes it works a treat sometimes assuming your happy with it once youve seen it of course

Plus it has a tow bar fitted. What has it been towing.

Well spotted - I would also not be too keen on this car if it has been used to regularly tow significant weights...

Why would you want to pay over dealer price from a private seller?

Looks like he's trying to get back what he paid to a dealer!

Loads around at much better prices than he wants.

You'd be a mug to pay any more than around £9k for it.

Last edited:
Why on earth would you use an SLK for towing.......?

It has been known for them to tow trailers etc to allow camping etc - why I don't really know.:confused: :crazy:

Can't find it now but there is a well publicised one in yellowstone with a trailer made in the same colour and out of another SLK iirc.

I don't have a clue re the towing. I think it'd look a lot better towing a jet-ski than a caravan.

Thanks so much for all the advice, and the warm welcome.

Re bidding blind, yes it was a bit foolish, I fell into the ebay trap of adopting the 'well, if I bid £50 more than the previous guy I'll only lose £50 on it when it's my turn to sell' mindset. That's all good and well if you're the only mug playing that game. :)

Next stop Pistonheads.

Thanks again.

Pammy is that the big foot one in yellow, theres a book about that...

I would have fitted a towbar on my Z but couldn't as illegal (not type appoved) It would have been completely invisable when not on though.

Our cars are loved, but used

I was at BCA Blackbushe today and saw a '00W SLK230k (pre-facelift), in bright yellow with 39k on the clock, the car sold for £9700 plus auction fees.

The Ideally Id one of the v6's either the 32 or 320, but would probably settle for a 230 if mainly for town runs. Have a drive of the 200, if your happy with the power go for it. Id definatly knock him down from £11k.

way too much and that colour is a real depreciator....

i do know someone who has two slk's in a more tasteful colour ;)

way too much and that colour is a real depreciator....

Id say you'd be lucky to retail that car for £10k, its amazing what people will pay at an auction down south. Need to start going to measham again.

Id say you'd be lucky to retail that car for £10k, its amazing what people will pay at an auction down south. Need to start going to measham again.

The red one would be £8995 on any independent forecourt... that would never fetch more than 7-7.5 at measham...

The red one would be £8995 on any independent forecourt... that would never fetch more than 7-7.5 at measham...
no way, when i was looking for one last oct, they had a Y reg 230slk with 25kmiles, it went for £10500, last nov i paid £12200 for a Y slk 320 with 38kmiles, you be lucky to get a face lift model for less then £9000 unless it is manual with lots of miles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom