Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

digisatman

found 58plate w211 but no service history 32000 miles.car seems ok to drive .advice should i go for it ,or too risky and what price shoudbe reasonable. tia

Can't you check service history with an MB dealer from registration?

Need a lot more details about the car.

Which engine? What spec? Saloon? Estate? Is there a link to an advert?

Hi,if buying from a dealer ask to look at the V5 (log book) make a note of the previous owner and try to get in touch,the previous owner will not have anything to hide.John

I assume it is a private sale ??

gernerally 32k miles without service history is not a disaster, but the price would have to reflect the lack of history, probably to the tune of 20%.

However check that everything works and that there has been some evidence of oil changes, such as oil not looking like treacle, being at the right level and evidence the sump plug has had a spanner on it.

You can take samples of oil and get it analysed for contaminants etc and how much life there is in/ This would give you an idea of condition of engine and whether it has had oil changes it as I do for large commercial earth moving machinery. However for a car at this level it might not be worth it, just go on gut feeling and maybe take a knowledgable mate with you

If the above is ok and price is adjusted accordingly expect to spend £4k on it when you take it to a Merc dealer (worst case scenerio here) getting it tip top again

Once serviced up with the addnl costs (assume everything works) you total expenditure should be £1k or so of an identical car with fsh. Therefore the car has to be about £4-5k less than one with fsh

I would not shy away from it, assuming its price is knocked down

Last edited:
MERCEDES-BENZ E220 CDI Avantgarde Tip

2008 (58 reg), Saloon

Trade seller, distance: 0 miles

• 32,507 miles
  • Automatic
  • 2.1L
  • Diesel

4 Doors, Automatic, Saloon, Diesel, 32,507 miles, Metallic iridium silver, MOT-07-2012, 1 Owner. ABS, Adjustable seats, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, Climate Control, Computer, …

how do you know the car has not done 232k miles without a s/h.

A 3 yr old MB without s/h and supposedly with 32k miles is about as smelly as it gets.

sounds like a nice car

I think is sounds a bit dodgy as being under 3 years old you cant check the MOT's I would be very careful and would check everything very carefuly or perhaps have an AA or RAC inspection

Cliveboy has it right - call the original supplying dealer and ask for a printout of the MB history. Or if they have said they don't have any, as you posted above, then try MB UK. Or perhaps the dealer selling can call the guy who PX'd it with them and ask. It does matter - apart from mechanical issues, if it hasn't seen an MB workshop since 2008 it won't have Mobilolife cover any longer and won't have bodywork warranty.

However, it would be very unusual for a car that new to have had no servicing at all; my guess is it has been serviced, but book wasn't stamped. The owner presumably had it from new and has now traded it in 3 years later for something ugly (it's at an Infiniti dealer....)

Personally, if I couldn't trace any service history to MB's satisfaction on a car that age then I'd walk away. Plenty of E220CDi's around....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom