IAT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AngryDog

Car
E60 M5
Seeing as how the ECU pulls timing at 35 degrees and above on the E55k, how many really pull full power for more than a few seconds? Even stock cars will pull timing.

Seems a little pointless to me?

Cooling was not E55’s strongest asset because power is usually somewhere towards the bottom on the list of priorities when MB designs cars. This is not completely pointless as only a tiny minority of AMG owners track their cars and need more than a few seconds WOT. The issue is not limited to the 55 platform. The first thing a 63 biturbo owner does after taking the delivery of his car is usually a map. Hardly anyone starts with cooling mods anymore, except maybe for Tony, who knows better and logged everything.

Running cooler is the key. Larger intakes & bigger pre rads and intercoolers is a good start if longer WOT runs is your thing.

Thanks Alex, I suppose that is a valid point I hadn't considered. I expect high cruising on the Autobahns will pass enough cooler air through the H/E to maintain lower timing retardation?

I prefer to sort the cooling first myself whenever possible. When I stepped up a level when I had my old Cossie I fitted a larger intercooler before the larger turbo went on.

I'd like to track and drag my E55 at some point, but I don't want to be losing all the power at the same time. I'd like to fit a larger H/E but the oil cooler is in the way.

Larger intakes, in terms of the intakes into the throttle body? I guess it is quite difficult to change the intercooler on the standard supercharger?

Interesting.

How many degree's does it pull and at what increments thereafter?

For instance, is it 2 degree's at 35-40 and then 4 degree's at 40-50 or something?

35 degrees c is 3.5 degrees retardation
45 degrees c is 6.3
65 is 9.5

These are approximate figures.

Thanks Alex, I suppose that is a valid point I hadn't considered. I expect high cruising on the Autobahns will pass enough cooler air through the H/E to maintain lower timing retardation?

I prefer to sort the cooling first myself whenever possible. When I stepped up a level when I had my old Cossie I fitted a larger intercooler before the larger turbo went on.

I'd like to track and drag my E55 at some point, but I don't want to be losing all the power at the same time. I'd like to fit a larger H/E but the oil cooler is in the way.

Larger intakes, in terms of the intakes into the throttle body? I guess it is quite difficult to change the intercooler on the standard supercharger?

Yep, bigger intake pipes help lower the IATs. On the standard supercharger, I would go with top mounted intercoolers like in SLR McLaren. This would not only allow for a larger surface area, getting the core out of the hot valley will help it run more efficiently too. Not a cheap mod unless you can do it yourself.

Yep, bigger intake pipes help lower the IATs. On the standard supercharger, I would go with top mounted intercoolers like in SLR McLaren. This would not only allow for a larger surface area, getting the core out of the hot valley will help it run more efficiently too. Not a cheap mod unless you can do it yourself.

Yeah all very expensive and quite tricky to do. I have a standard TB but I do have an intake kit that I can re-fit to the car but the pipe work will remain the same size. I think other than given more s/c whine it is of little benefit lol.

With your build could you have relocated the intercooler?

Yeah all very expensive and quite tricky to do. I have a standard TB but I do have an intake kit that I can re-fit to the car but the pipe work will remain the same size. I think other than given more s/c whine it is of little benefit lol.

With your build could you have relocated the intercooler?

Not impossible to relocate but would require dropping the suppercharger further down the V of the engine and flipping it upside down. Whether I do it or not will depend on effectiveness of my current setup.

At some point does it not stop pulling the timing and disengage the supercharger clutch instead? Mine does it after three or four of up to 6000 rpm wot runs.

Correct, can't remember at which temp it does that, but it's hot.

You need to probably replace your intercooler pump. It should not be getting that hot.

85 degree's c iirc.

The WOT runs that you do, are they 6k in top gear?

Err no! 2nd and 3rd. They are limited to 155 so wouldn't pull 6k in top anyway.
I have a new Bosch 10 ready to go on.

Just replaced my I/C pump with a Bosch 10 ( a pretty straightforward job btw.) Definitely worth it - no more s/c disengaging nonsense :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom