iCarsoft data recording - review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
It seems the record facility on the iCarsoft is very difficult to review.

Example, I wanted to record all wheel rpm sensors while driving to review later and see if one of them had odd readings.

However, it looks like all it does is write a new doc file with the 4 sensor values each time. You end up with alot of snapshots, several hundred if you recorded long enough - a simple table or graph would have been easier.

Am I missing something ?

I think that the intention is that you import the raw data into a software package on your PC that makes sense of it or displays it as a graph etc - but I haven't actually done it myself. You can try importing it into Excel as a CSV file though.

Their software just loads snapshots - not alot you can do with it.
I'll see if anything can be read from the data but if I remember it was pretty much encrypted - not just a simple data dump.

My iCarsoft has died, unable to read the SD card so maybe a corrupt/dead card.

However, I can't download the update software as the iCarsoft site is down, anyone have the download tool for the MB V2.0 ?

I guess I will also need serial data for my unit on the card also which ai don't have either..

Edit..

After speaking to the supplier, looks like a reformat of the card is required - apparently quite common after a while of saving data...

Last edited:
Got it all working again and tried the data recording function.

The files are saved in .rex files and can only be opened, displayed as documents or printed using the iCarsoft report printer.
You can only save as text files, or pdf if you print I guess.

However, it should be simple enough to convert the saved text files to a data text file for use with Excel using a few lines of code.

As I am back on furlough as from today, I have some time on my hands..

Works quite well, this was a short data log from the axel rpm sensors when I had the ABS/ESP lights on
Data is converted into a format that can be imported into Excel - then just select the data and display a graph

Works on my MB iCarsoft V2, not sure about others as I don't have any log files but would probably just need tweaking.

If anyone wants the software just shout..

1600782574287.png

Last edited:
Hi, I am also struggling with getting the data out of icarsoft.
Are you able to give a step by step guide?

Hi, I am also struggling with getting the data out of icarsoft.
Are you able to give a step by step guide?
Send over your file, I'll put it through so I see it is ok and then tell you what to do..;)

Send over your file, I'll put it through so I see it is ok and then tell you what to do..;)
There you go - see if it makes sense

Many thanks

Attachments

• vmd_lds_00002.zip
    854 bytes · Views: 32
What folder was the file in on your iCarsoft ??

OK, I had to update a few things to make the conversion easier as Microsoft have changed the way you import data into a sheet !
You can right click on a line on the graph to set its axis, primary or secondary which ever suits...

1620653104547.png

Attachments

• iCarsoft_Graph.zip
    47 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Or if you smooth the lines..

1620656457114.png

Wow, that is amazing! Very useful information. How do you extract the data from the .rex file? When I open it in notepad it is just a bunch of Hex characters.

Use the iCarsoft print software to save the data as a text file - the format is not easy to get information from when you have hundreds of data points.

Load that into my software to convert to data that the spreadsheet can live with.
You give the graph and data names and save it as another text file.

Open the spreadsheet, import the data from the text file and change the sheet name to 'Data' - rename the old Data sheet to Data1 or whatever.

Then just click on the 'Start Graph' button...

The only part I haven't had time to figure is updating the horizontal axes values when scrolling - I'm no Excel expert so if anyone can help, it's in the VB macro...

Many thanks. I have MB V1.0 which is proving problematic to print out a text file, however I am talking to tech support on that one.

Many thanks. I have MB V1.0 which is proving problematic to print out a text file, however I am talking to tech support on that one.
You print it in pdf format, it will print 1 page for each log !
You should be able to save to text file.
You need to plug the device into your pc with usb and use their update software that doubles up as the print / save software for the logs..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom