iCarsoft for viewing a 2012 E350 Cdi?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGundam

Car
2012 C207 E350Cdi
Hey everyone,

When lockdown allows I hope to view with the intention of buying a 2012 E350Cdi Coupe privately.

Is it worth buying and taking alone a iCarsoft i980 V2 scanner? Is it easy to use as it would be my first time?

My thinking is it could pick up stored fault codes that may not be showing as EML at time of viewing.

It will be handy for checking for non EML "codes" , it can also be used to interrogate the DPF log to check soot / ash levels / last regen / time till next regen.

Whether the seller will let you plug something into his socket and have a rummage around the ECU`s is a different matter.

I would just get one anyway (icarsoft CR Pro) as it will come in handy eventually , no matter what car you get.

K

^^ As above . In my opinion anyone driving an 'older' MB could do a lot worse than owning an iCarsoft scanner (or similar) can pay for itself the first time you plug it in.

Not sure the seller would be happy with you plugging in , but you can only ask.

^^ As above . In my opinion anyone driving an 'older' MB could do a lot worse than owning an iCarsoft scanner (or similar) can pay for itself the first time you plug it in.

Not sure the seller would be happy with you plugging in , but you can only ask.
Does it let you reset the service notification, check gear box oil temps for transmission fluid change etc?

Thanks

You can reset the service through the hidden menu without using the icarsoft, but icarsoft scanner will tell you gearbox oil temp if you plan changing the transmission oil yourself.

When I was looking, if after having had a good look round a car there was one I was serious about I asked the seller if I could do a scan, and said I would do it in front of them, only scan the fault codes and explain exactly what I was doing and let them see everything I was doing, and that if they wanted my to stop at any time to just say. No one (to my surprise) refused and they were all genuinely interested in what was found. One had me walking away for what I found, but I did try to give the seller (private) some good pointers on what to get fixed.

There we other cars (from traders) that I didn't even bother going to see because whilst the car looked good on paper, they were pay a large deposit/pay for the whole car before you can even test drive it outfits.
No amount of I'll leave my car here, take a large holding amount on credit card, take all my details etc would allow a test drive without me forking out a load of cash. It seemed like the places had the potential to be difficult and dodgy, although there will also be traders who have been burnt in the past so I can see both sides.

One of the first things I did when I bought my 2010 E class was to invest in the iCarsoft MB11, since then I've upgraded to the iCarsoft CRO PRO scanner...no regrets, and while the MB 11 still gets some use, the CRO PRO is the Numero Uno. When you think about the investment in your MB, an OBD reader is a no brainer. and especially one with multi scan capabilities like the CRO-PRO. Would have no hesitation in recommending the CRO PRO.

For what it is worth, when I bought our used car from a MB main dealer last year the salesman was more than happy for me to plug in my iCarsoft OBD scanner. Having said that I missed the fact that it had a faulty parking sensor so make sure you are more thorough than me if they do let you do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom