iCarsoft i910 Knackered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Guys

To enable me to diagnose a PDC fault on my Wife's BMW. I bought an icarsoft i910. Plugged it in to the car, it powered up and diagnosed the fault (faulty PDC controller). BINGO.

Then I notice that the software on the icarsoft is really old.

* I follow the instructions on their website and start the upgrade process.
* Computer downloads the update
* Computer sees the device is connected via USB
* Start update
* Device switches it's screen off
* Update runs (we can see the sliders moving etc)
* 40 minutes later and computer says UPDATE FAILED > FINISH

I check the instructions both on-line and in the manual. It says "if you get this message? Re-install the update."

There is no option to re-install and it will not let me re-start, unless I disconnect the icarsoft.

I disconnect and re-connect and this allows me to re-start the update - which promptly FAILS and continues to do so.

The device is now bricked and will not power on, either using the USB or the in car OBD port.

icarsoft's web page gives no help for this and I can find little on-line help.

I have emailed icarsoft "support" and await a response.

Any clues here?

Have I now just got an expensive brick?

I've updated mine around three times, and it did fail once, but a second attempt worked fine.
Are you 100% it is genuine - this was enough to scare me into buying from the official dealer.
If it was new, I'd send it back, otherwise I'd take a look around the web to see if there is a master reset procedure (such as power on, hold two buttons down, etc).
If it is genuine, you may be able to return for a re-flash, or if it's new, just send it back.

Try a different usb cable. Maybe a quality, branded one, that you've gotten with a phone?

Trying this now. Thank you.

When I connect the Device to the PC the Installer see's it as it the GUI displays "Device Connected". However the Device screen does not start up. Then when it gets to the end of the update, when it says "Failed" the Device changes to "Disconnected".

I am not sure what handshaking goes on with these things? It may simply that the USB performs a loopback without actually checking that the device is actually alive?

I have spent the day calling icarsoft with no reply on either their US or European numbers. That is not good. They have not replied to me email (not good either). So it maybe that I have just bricked the device and lost my money.

I checked again on their website and the install instructions do say simply state that if the upload FAILS. Then RETRY? But there is no RETRY button. Also when it does FAIL it says (and in their instructions) FAILED with a FINISH button. To get out of the FAILED screen you have click FINISH, which is what I did.

Okay. I tried two quality USB leads. No change.

Nb. It does not power up from the car on the OBD lead.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Hi Bruce. Have you downloaded the update interface from the icarsoft eu website ? I had trouble with my MB11

The problem was that I had downloaded the interface via a link and not directly from the icarsoft site. Eventually got an email from Lily Bong explaining what to do and it all updated with the latest versions of the software. I will look for Lily's email addy for you if I still have it.

Trickythemerc said:
Hi Bruce. Have you downloaded the update interface from the icarsoft eu website ? I had trouble with my MB11 The problem was that I had downloaded the interface via a link and not directly from the icarsoft site. Eventually got an email from Lily Bong explaining what to do and it all updated with the latest versions of the software. I will look for Lily's email addy for you if I still have it.

I shall try this now. Thank you. I was using the cd.

Sadly the email fails.

Do you have a link to the software. I can't find it in their site.

That is on the icarsoft site V3.5 updating tool, it should download the interface you need. My problem was that I was trying to use an earlier version and kept getting the failure message.

That is on the icarsoft site V3.5 updating tool, it should download the interface you need. My problem was that I was trying to use an earlier version and kept getting the failure message.

Tricky. The 3.5 file is a .RAR and downloads in around 5 seconds? My (Windows 10) machine then just spits it out. If I try on XP it asks if I want to covert the file to iso?

Can I ask? Was your actual unit dead? No screen? Mine is dead and the only indication of life is when I connect to a PC the carsoft installed says USB Connected?

I am guessing it is NOT connected and all that is happening is that the USB port is seeing a cable attached. I base on the fact that the unit does NOT power up from the car's OBD port.

Pretty poor service from icarsoft (as in non-existent) an entire day with no calls answered and no emails responded to. Are they still trading?

I have decided to tie the OBD cable around my penis and secure the scanner to a cliff (not Richard) then jump off.

I am now the owner of a Chocolate Teapot, the original Motorbike Ashtray a £70 boat anchor. All this, out of a desire to get to the latest software and see if there was anything I was missing. I have devoted two days of my life to trying resurrect this thing. Longer than it took bring back Jesus, and I got no Loaves or Fishes.

I am broken, distraught. I sit here staring in hope at an orange lump of plastic in the vain hope that it will spring back into life. But it just taunts me with the Paypal receipt for my £70 that I have lost. The prospect of telling Mrs Millar of my folly, horrifies me. But I know I must do so, as she will ask to see to see this wonderous device in action. I'm to be ruined, ridiculed in front of my family, laughed at among my friends, humiliated in front of the world. All because I bought an icarsoft and wanted to upgrade it.

I wish you well my friends and thank you for your attempts at helping me. Alas it was not meant to be.

....and Mrs M's parking sensors are still not fixed. There is no God.

Bruce,
pm me your email address and I will send you the version 3.5 and firmware files.

Tony

Bruce,
Another question or two.
Is it V1 or V2?
What three numbers does the unit's serial number begin with?

Tony

And yet another observation.
The US site shows version 4.2.2.0 of 28/12/2016 available.
But the European website Support & Updates | ICarSoft-Europe
Shows version 4.2.2.1 of 6/2/2017 available but the translation from German seems to suggest you now have to pay for the update.

I have downloaded v3.5 and run it on my win10 laptop but not having the i910 cannot go any further.

So, unless you are enjoying the autoerotic sensations too much, I can send you the 3.5 software and .bin file and you can try and save yourself from admitting your folly.

Tony

PM sent from the back of my toilet door, as I hang by my genitals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom