iCarsoft MB V2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pathfinder

Car
CLC 220 CDi Sport
I am thinking of buying one of these iCarsoft MB V2 code readers. Is it worth while and can it do much of what can be done with MB Star?

My mate who runs an MOT station says it makes STAR obsolete. I would welcome any views on this before I part with my £155 to buy one.

I wouldn’t say it’s an absolute replacement for STAR. It certainly can’t do everything star can, such as enabling features?

However many members on here have one, and I believe they are very good for fault finding, disabling SBC while working on braking systems etc.

I wouldn’t say it’s an absolute replacement for STAR. It certainly can’t do everything star can, such as enabling features?

However many members on here have one, and I believe they are very good for fault finding, disabling SBC while working on braking systems etc.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I'd buy one £20 cheaper off eBay, though.

From t'other side I've read that there are clones knocking about.

I had what I believe was a geniune MBll, when working as I assume it should I found it a bit annoying to be navigating through menus with significant wait times to populate, then often reject with a message.
On saying that it was capable of monitiroting systems while in motion which, with experience, would be good for diagnosis.

I didn't see it as being anywhere near Star capability.

it is good for the price and works across all modern Mercedes cars and vans, got mine for £129 and it has been well worth it.
My son has a sprinter.

I bought a BMW icarsoft that appears to be a clone? I had a nightmare with icarsoft support who cannot tell me if it is genuine or a clone?????? This despite them connecting up to the device remotely and downloading (failed) their latest firmware, which bricked the device. icarsoft then simply stopped speaking to me and ebay would not refund my dosh as I had taken delivery seven moths prior to my discovering the thing was suspect (fair play to ebay)

The advice seems to be to buy from an approved dealer and get the full warranty etc.

FYI: I still think that mine is just bricked and icarsoft support is hopeless. Surely they should be able to tell what is genuine and what is not? They spent an entire day connected up to my home PC and iCarsoft device twiddling with it. Then gave up when they bricked it.

If I install the older firmware from their site. It works but not as it says it should. So it only sees single axel air suspension when I have twin axel etc. But it does clear errors......

Many members have MB2, not MB V2.

I bought this new MB V2.0 unit, from the official UK distributor: UK Parts Direct
The price was £148.99, which is only a few quid more, than numerous eBay sellers - so not worth the risk, for me at least - too many stories of fakes, clones and un-updatable software units ...

It's a next generation diagnostic tool, compared to MB II version, in a very similar form factor.
It has the ability to code batteries to newer cars, and do DPF regen for diesels, among other new features.

Ran a full scan on my car (2006 A200 C169), cleared stored error codes, from when a front parking sensor failed (replaced), no other errors, so wasn't tested to the extreme as such.

All in all - very pleased with it: easy to use, clear interface (if a bit tedious to do a car selection every time - I wish there was a memory function for that).
I had a Carsoft 7.4 multiplexer and a Toughbook before (about as close to STAR, as one can get), but sold it, as it was too much for my personal needs, and I just couldn't get along with a Windows computer :rolleyes:

This is the unit up close:

39775414985_a4c4c4a09b_o.jpg

39964748924_0c59faf723_o.jpg

Thanks everyone. I just bought it on ebay from UKParts direct. £155. The V2 version, same as GLK above.

Reactions: GLK
I bought this new MB V2.0 unit, from the official UK distributor: UK Parts Direct
The price was £148.99, which is only a few quid more, than numerous eBay sellers - so not worth the risk, for me at least - too many stories of fakes, clones and un-updatable software units ...

It's a next generation diagnostic tool, compared to MB II version, in a very similar form factor.
It has the ability to code batteries to newer cars, and do DPF regen for diesels, among other new features.

Ran a full scan on my car (2006 A200 C169), cleared stored error codes, from when a front parking sensor failed (replaced), no other errors, so wasn't tested to the extreme as such.

All in all - very pleased with it: easy to use, clear interface (if a bit tedious to do a car selection every time - I wish there was a memory function for that).
I had a Carsoft 7.4 multiplexer and a Toughbook before (about as close to STAR, as one can get), but sold it, as it was too much for my personal needs, and I just couldn't get along with a Windows computer :rolleyes:

This is the unit up close:

39775414985_a4c4c4a09b_o.jpg

39964748924_0c59faf723_o.jpg

Do you know if this is able to read and clear basic codes on other makes of vehicles?

I have the MB 11 Just wondering if the software update will take it to MB V2 spec. Might try an update and see what happens.

I spoke to UK Parts Direct, when the shipment just arrived, and these were not yet listed anywhere (I bought mine over the phone), they said the hardware is different, as these are 4th generation iCarsoft devices.

Do you know if this is able to read and clear basic codes on other makes of vehicles?

They have a universal version - same 4th generation, V2.0* - although the chap said that, as it's got more stuff crammed in, some lesser functions for individual makes were omitted. Makes sense. I wonder if there's a hardware difference between the versions, and if not, would it be possible to use the Mercedes micro-SD card in a universal unit, etc?

* Someone please dismiss their entire branding department, and sort the naming system for them: MB II (3rd generation) and MB V2.0 (4th generation) - not confusing at all! o_O

Thanks. Thinking of getting one specifically for the merc but if it could read and erase basic codes on other cars as well it would be useful

Thanks. Thinking of getting one specifically for the merc but if it could read and erase basic codes on other cars as well it would be useful
I think some basic functions might be there, if you select OBD diagnostic - I have to check that, I might be wrong.
The main selection menu only offers Mercedes or Smart choices.

The only difference I can see on the hardware is, the v2 seems to have an F1 & F2 button on the left hand side of the unit, the MBII does not appear to have these. I do not know what the functions of these extra buttons are for, yet.

By 'hardware' they meant the PCB, electronics, perhaps CPU, etc.
The firmware is obviously different too, and unlikely to be compatible with older hardware.
The form-factor is indeed very similar.

I have the MB 11 Just wondering if the software update will take it to MB V2 spec. Might try an update and see what happens.
I think the only updates are the F1/F2 buttons and the DPF tests. Functionality wise on a petrol vehicle I haven't read anything that the MBII doesn't do already.

I have MB11, it's ok for a novice like me, cleared fault on psrktronic, it also cleared a fault on our mini in ob2 setting.
I tried to test and reset heater flaps but could not see a away to do it, if anyone finds out let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom