Ice Hotel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Every year I try to go somewhere nice and preferably warm for my birthday in Feb

Due to many warm places being rather to hot politically I'm thinking of going to an ice hotel next time even if its not that warm....quite the opposite. Any members on here with any experience of these places. Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance

Not an Ice Hotel as such, but we went to Reykjavik last December and had a brilliant time. Thoroughly recommend it for a "cold" holiday :thumb:

Every year I try to go somewhere nice and preferably warm for my birthday in Feb

Due to many warm places being rather to hot politically I'm thinking of going to an ice hotel next time even if its not that warm....quite the opposite. Any members on here with any experience of these places. Any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance

I spent my 20s in Egypt, Mexico Sudan and HK and... then decided to do something completely different. So got a job in Sweden. Actually, I eloped to be alone with my new wife, but that's another story.

Sweden in between Gothenbrug and Oslo - stunning in the summer, but even better in a very cold winter. Rent a triple glazed, wooden house by the coast and you'll wish you could retire there - did I mention the women?

-----

Or going further north, try the Holmenkollen Olympic ski resort - awesome place and a nice hotel nearby.

-----

If you fancy something even colder then I'd recommend the Stockholm - Helsinki Ferry (Icebreaker). Go in the middle of winter and you'll crack ice entering Helsinki, sorry, no photos handy. PM me if you want me to dig out the ferry covered in 4 inches of ice (not kidding.)

-----

Also nearby is Tallinn. Spent some time there a few years back in the middle of winter. Just as cold as Helsinki, but more Russian influence. Beautiful hotels and colder than anywhere else I've been. Even colder than a Russian Princess' heart they say (which is very difficult). But mind, you, it's twice as pretty.

-----

Somewhere further afield? Niagra in winter is awesome. Frozen falls, nasty Blackpool like attractions and as much JD as you can drink (I'm told). Also, a great slot car culture there too.

-----

And of course, if you want the ultimate experience, head to Patagonia. But bear in mind to get the chill you'll need to go in our spring/summer.

-----

-----

Also, don't be afraid to camp, as long as you've got the right gear - try Patagonia online, in my view, the best. (Ps, if you're a big guy, I can send you some spare outerwear, I literally have cupboards full of it).

I've camped at -10c a number of times, and spent the 20009/10 winter in a California deep in snow with nothing but the diesel heater for company. Awesome.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Following on from the above, I found this online -

Silja Symphony (Stockholm - Helsinki - Stockholm) entering Helsinki.

Thanks Chris for the above ideas.....I am starting to realise that I really need something more comfortable at 67 so I think I will give the ice hotel a miss based on the feedback I've had so far

I guess if I was 40 and wanted to get wasted on vodka the ice hotel would be a good choice!

As you say it might be better to choose something a little gentler - best of luck either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom