ICE in 2013 w204

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smurph1

Car
2013 Mercedes C220 CDI (W204) saloon auto
In my C class I have the Audio 20 (non COMAND) entertainment system with Becker GPS, can I modernise and upgrade to an Android system (with GPS, DAB etc)?
Struggling to locate, can for the older 2007-11 car, maybe its because in my newer model the Ent. system is split in two sections, upper display, and lower control panel?!

I dont know about upgrading to an Android system. To be honest, I'd say that might be a big job and impact the look and feel of the car.

I have similar spec W204. Audio 20 (non-cd-changer) so I know there is no easy upgrade for DAB without completely changing the head unit. (needs a fiber optic input)

I had looked at DAB modules that interface to FM but just dont think they are well integrated solutions. I'd prefer something that allowed for stations to be programmed like regular system and allow steering controls to work. Being an electronic engineer I even though of doing a project of my own (DAB Module, my own software, interface to canbus/head Unit); but may never get the time for it.

Becker GPS is OK. Maybe not as great as the latest systems but much better than most integrated SatNav's and (from my opinion) on a par with other low cost hand-held satnav solutions.

For me I like keeping the car as stock as possible. Any major ICE changes could impact future resale.

Thanks for the reply.

Out of all of the DAB solutions, it did look the best, and I could hook it up to the USB in the car.

but.... i've read a few reviews of it and comments seem to suggest it takes a long time to lock to a station. Im assuming that this is potentially because it needs to buffer enough of the station up before it can make it look like an audio track from the USB. Some even suggest "up to " 30 seconds, and I just would not have the patience for that :crazy: There is mention of being able to configure this to a smaller delay but not willing to risk it.

The upside is that it appears like a list of channels on the USB drive so has the look and feel of an integrated solution.

There are a few others, AutoDAB seem to have some nice ones that use FM and provide a very slim remote for minimal dash-board impact. Just not what I'm looking for. And dont want to use Smart Phone either to stream music directly from the internet.

Anyway - will wait to see if newer versions of these products come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom