Ice inside the windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abecketts

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280cdi, Disco2, Alfa 166 3.0 and tractors
Came out to the car this morning to find that the windscreen was iced up on both sides, defrosting the interior was fun. Do I guess correctly that the window seals must have gone letting in moisture that can then condense and freeze? Would a window out job to reseal would be the answer?

Thanks

Possibly, but do you run the car with the aircon on or off? Condensation is going to build up inside after a drive from sources like your breath, wet clothes, sweat, wet dogs etc and if cold enough it will freeze inside too. I run air con all winter to keep the moisture content down.

I don't think anything's gone on your car and you've witnessed a freak event. Interesting you're in Devizes too. I had nearly the same problem with my SL last night and I think it was a problem with the high moisture content of the air (misty and foggy in places) and the temperature hovering around zero. In a short drive from Melksham back to our house, through Devizes, I saw temperatures ranging from +4 to -4 and quite rapid changes in some cases. The drive to our destination was some 20 miles and when we got there the windscreen was completely dry having had the air con running up it all the way etc. We were at our destination (ok, in the pub) for a couple of hours and when we came out the inside of the windscreen was soaking... so much condensation it was dripping!!! Had it been out all night, that would have been frozen this morning.

I think the climate last night, at least in this part of the country was made up of many micro climates with wildly varying temperatures and that somehow led to this phenomena.

Regards,

My car often has this problem. I find that pouring warm, not hot, water over the outside of the windscreen also melts the ice on the inside.

its just the weather at the moment - run the car with the a/c on - it will help to dry the interior out.

It happens all the time in my van, i prevent it by putting a beach towel warm from the airing cupboard on the dash and this seems to attract any moisture.

I have this issue also. However more so when the snow was here.
I put it down to extra water being trodden into carpets etc.
My old owners club (seat) swore by a dehumidifier box sold by halfrauds.
Quite cheap if I remember and very effective. Simply a small box that could hide under the front seat. It's filled with some form of dessicated silicone. I used a couple in my last car with great results. However I used two at once.
Am sure I had change from a tenner. They are sold for caravan users I believe.
Hope this helps
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom