ICE Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
Does anyone know of a company that will insure my ICE.

Called elephant and all they cover is up to £750 which is standard for them and they cannot offer a premium to upgrade this level of cover :(

I need to insure it for around about the £2 - £2.5k Mark.

Ideas :confused:

Ok as I have no response going to BUMP this back to the top and look from a different angle.

No response so it is something people seem not to think about.

Are people aware of the limitation of car audio cover on their insurance policy?
Bearing in mind a Coman unit would be over the price that most policy's offer.
Are you happy to run the risk of it being stolen and to foot the bill?

If a cheap service was there would you use it?

Thanks

Its a good question. I only had £250 of ICE cover when my car got nicked and thus lost out. It is putting me off upgrading in my new car and I would be interested in an ICE upgrade to my policy..........

Thmsshaun said:
Are people aware of the limitation of car audio cover on their insurance policy?
Bearing in mind a Coman unit would be over the price that most policy's offer.
Are you happy to run the risk of it being stolen and to foot the bill?
This is the problem with car insurance.

Got factory installed comand? Guess what! If your car is broken into and comand is stolen they will probably pay up to £750 for the stolen equipment, and it's £2500 to buy a new comand unit. I suppose the victim ends up paying for this.

Did you declare your options when you insured the car? Of course you didn't, because you were never told to and no-one expects to have to, but when it comes to making a claim the insurance company are sharks.

Is the ICE limit only applicable to aftermarket units? Surely your factory fitted kit is covered like for like? Am I being naive?

mergli said:
Is the ICE limit only applicable to aftermarket units? Surely your factory fitted kit is covered like for like? Am I being naive?
Yes, check your policy schedule/certificate!

How does the insurance company know that you have factory-fitted items? Your premium probably reflects a poverty-spec or standard spec model with zero additional options, why should they pay out for options that were never declared?

Shude said:
Yes, check your policy schedule/certificate!

How does the insurance company know that you have factory-fitted items? Your premium probably reflects a poverty-spec or standard spec model with zero additional options, why should they pay out for options that were never declared?

i think they will pay for anything that came "from the factory". Ie my car has dvd and TV in it - cost well over £3K to replace all that if it was nicked.... but it is factory fit and therefore "standard spec" so shoudl be ok

i hope :rolleyes:

SilverSaloon said:

That would be an interesting one but then if your car got nicked they would pay out market value so it would be up to you to find a car the same spec with all that kit. If you cant find one is the insurance company going to go here you go have an extra £xxxx to install the audion dvd etc back in.

I doubt it.

SilverSaloon said:
i think they will pay for anything that came "from the factory". Ie my car has dvd and TV in it - cost well over £3K to replace all that if it was nicked.... but it is factory fit and therefore "standard spec" so shoudl be ok
Ask yourself the question:

Are all cars of the same designation the same spec? If Japanese probably yes ;) but German? No :rolleyes:

If the premium is the same no matter what the factory spec then the value and settlement should be the same.

Simple way to find out: call them and ask! :D

surly the settlement should be the market value of the car at the point of settlement. going by the chassis number the factory fit options should be identified and this all is taken into consideration.

but usually once a couple of years old the price of a basic car and a high specced car is probably more or less the same.

SilverSaloon said:
surly the settlement should be the market value of the car at the point of settlement. going by the chassis number the factory fit options should be identified and this all is taken into consideration.

but usually once a couple of years old the price of a basic car and a high specced car is probably more or less the same.
Chassis number? If your car is stolen then Glasses guide is flipped open and they make a decision based on the mileage.

I wonder if the comand and changer was replaced for this member:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18827

My suggestion would be MSM, they have a great reputation for kit cars and of course Smarts but I'm pretty sure they would be able to sort a high value ICE policy too.

Kate

check your house insurance policy as well, you may find that you can list it on there as a specific item in the "away from the home" category.

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom