Ice Number

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

evdok

MB Enthusiast
Car
BMW 330D xDRIVE M/SPORT INDIVIDUAL
Got this today,

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'
We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign
The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).
The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, the ere were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'
For more than one contact name simply enter ICE, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!
Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing
an ICE number in our Mobile phones today!
Please forward this. It won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this
. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. ICE will speak for you when you cannot.

Last edited:
this has been around for at least three years (maybe longer) and to a point it's reasonable but......

here's a few things to think about

1, at the scene of an accident there may be several phones - who knows which phone belongs to which person? Nobody because they carry no identifying data. If they did you wouldn't need this

2, Paramedics are usually busy putting people back together and saving lives not ringing relatives

3,your phone may be damaged beyond repair or just not found. Keeping a piece of paper in your wallet/pockets with contact details on would be a much safer bet

4, you collapse in the street, a passer by finds you with your phone in your hand....this is Britain 2008, don't kid yourself the phone is gone along with your emergency ID

Got this today,

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

Its not "Standard Procedure", and although I have had the same spam email before, I can only assume it was started with the best of intentions, but possibly by someone who wasn't a paramedic or had ever attended such an incident. :(

The practicalities at such scenes mean this is pretty unlikely to happen, and is defeated by anyone who puts a code in to lock their phone.

I'd be very surprised if anyone could find an example where this had made any practical difference.

:eek:

"Hello, I just found this phone on someone who has been badly injured... I think you might know them, who are you by the way?"

The only time I can think that this might be used is if the person has memory loss and gets found wandering.

This came out about 4 years ago.

I work for one of the emergency services and we were advised not to use it or encourage others to use it.

It's a nice idea, but I doubt it'd really make that much difference.

I bet a lot of people have a number such as 'Home' stored in their phone anyway?

And the obvious (annoying) downside of storing the number of a loved one/home etc in your phone is that whenever they ring you, your phone will display 'ICE Calling'...

Still a nice idea, not a money-making or political 'spam' email, so don't shoot down Evdok as the messenger, I'm sure his intentions were genuine :)

Will

Bit of a mixed bag this one! Some of the services and agencies I work with do use it and look for it on a phone, It is particularly relevant if you travel a lot and is quite widely used by the Foreign and commonwealth office and their consulate staff abroad for helping UK citizens in times of trouble abroad. Before anyone slags it off the idea originated out of one of the government agencies for their overseas staff, great idea if you travel a lot.

As regards it coming up ICE on the phone when home or your other half rings, you simply have 2 phonebook entries ICE & Home for example and set the priorities so that Home is always first that way you never see ICE as an incoming call.

Don't diss the OP this idea is great for the right people and in the right circumstances as a system for the general public then open to debate I guess?

I use it with the entry ICE space then wifes name afterwards as her mobile entry and Home as hummmm home land line entry.

Told to do this by a very insistent grand daughter...lol:D

Yes, this has been around a while now. The emails did the rounds in our office a few years ago and since then, I've put mrs. shr's mobile number under ICE in my phone. How useful it would be I don't know, but doesn't do me any harm having it stored as that, so I've done it.
Every time my wife calls, the screen says 'ICE' but I can live with that.

Like I say, how useful it is I don't know (and I don't really want to have to find out, if you know what I mean) but if there is some chance (however slim) it might help our emergency services/hospital staff contact our family, then why not just do it? Not exactly a massive inconvenience to us now, is it?

The other half had it on, honestly I wasn't watching, but just happened to be in the room to spot the receptionist in Casualty use the ICE number on a patients phone on Saturday night.

The other half had it on, honestly I wasn't watching, but just happened to be in the room to spot the receptionist in Casualty use the ICE number on a patients phone on Saturday night.

You're out of the closest now mate.
I bet you, sorry your other half, watch Holby too.
:D

You could just get a marker pen and write the details on the back of the phone. :D ;)

You're out of the closest now mate.
I bet you, sorry your other half, watch Holby too.
:D
--- -. .-.. -.-- / .-- .... . -. / - .... .- - / -. .. -.-. . / .-.. .- -.. / ..-. .-. --- -- / ... - .-. .. -.-. - .-.. -.-- / -.-. --- -- . / -.. .- -. -.-. .. -. --. / .. ... / --- -. ;)

... . . -- ... / - --- / .... .- ...- . / .-. . -.-. --- ...- . .-. . -.. / .-- . .-.. .-.. / ..-. .-. --- -- / .... .. ... / -.-. .- -. -.-. . .-. / ... -.-. .- .-. . .-.-.- / --- --- .--. ... .-.-.-

Of course.
How else would I know? :)

To be fair, she's a nurse so she likes to think of it as, "working from home"

Contacts under ICE in my mobile, are my In Car Entertainment people, not to sure they will be the most helpful in contacting my nearest and dearest...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom