ice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wemorgan, Aug 31, 2012.

1. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    No, not in-car-entertainment, but the frozen water variety. I had some of that this morning. Orange symbol appeared on the dash. I was almost compelled to rush back in to the garage at fit my winter tyres! In the same breath, I'm half wondering whether to have a BBQ this week-end. You've got to love England*

*(Scotland - we know you've had ice all summer and are men of steel so it's always BBQ weather. Wales/N.Ireland - you can't deny it's too wet for a BBQ at any time)

4 people like this.
  2. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    It's what I most love about September - a sharp chill nervosity on the mornings opening into a lovely sunny but restrained warmth later. Rather like vintage Krug in fact. Could you send me some of the ice, I'd like to put the Krug on it!

3. OP
    OP
    wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Happy to do a swap - sounds like I'd be getting the better half of the deal.

Agree about the weather though. The autumn months are great for drives around the Cotswolds.

4. Troon

Troon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    Luckily it didn't drop below about 6°C here in the Midlands — I've only just put the leeks in.

I'm on all-season tyres, so no changes needed.

5. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Which MB has this ice warning?

6. OP
    OP
    wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    Sorry - I'm an imposter on this forum. :)

7. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019

Thought as much ;)

8. Charles Morgan

Car:
    It was a very cold night though, reading the weather reports. The Mail suggested that we were shivering in bed, but with one sheet and a very thin cotton counterpane I was nice and warm, which means my new insulation and double glazing is working a treat.

9. Borys

Borys Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2005 cl500
    All season tyres - bad choice,had them once never again.it is impossible to create rubber which handles same in hot and cold conditions.
    For me it is just marketing catch...but if you are happy

10. DSM10000

DSM10000 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, RR 4.2 SC
    Pray tell Charles, how did they manage to insulate and double glaze your good self?:D

11. Charles Morgan

Car:
    I had done that with 30 years of high living!

The builders on the other hand did the walls and ceiling, the glaziers the window.

12. scottydee

scottydee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C270 Avantgarde CDI, Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja
    You mean they don't??? My mondeo did!:wallbash:

13. Troon

Troon Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A big one
    I am thanks, 20k miles done so far, not yet down to the 4mm winter tyre wear markers and they have been just fine from -5°C in snow (only tried once, we've had mostly warm weather since I bought them :rolleyes:) to +38°C at 130km/h on a French autoroute. They feel very secure in the rain, and stopping is uneventful in any conditions; a recent drive on a fairly wet and muddy grassy field (temporary car park) showed they have more grip than I'd expect from standard tyres. They have the M+S marking as well as the mountain and snowflake marking, so legal in the relevant bits of Europe.

Of course they are a compromise, but I drive gently and have no complaints* with their performance. Maybe their on-limit cornering isn't as good as a set of sticky summer tyres; and maybe a set of full winters work better in extreme snow, but the hassle and expense of buying and storing a second set of wheels and the initial outlay for the winter tyres is too high a hurdle for me.

So, thank you for your assessment of my choice; I must disagree with it. :)

(*) ... I have a minor noise issue that may be attributable to these tyres; I'll find out when I next replace them.

14. Borys

Borys Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2005 cl500
    Good they work for you
    It was just my experience and a bad one (in summer braking was horrible,tyres were smoking a lot even with abs;winter scary drive didn't feel as I have any grip and control over the car)
    Maybe it was just a dodgy set

Tags: