Icelink iPod connection - the full clarification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
After many emails to people on here, Dension, Carphone Warehouse, Ihavetohave.it, ghc computers here the bottom line on the iPod Icelink connection. I am using the COMAND 2.0 as the prime example - can't vouch for the standard Mercedes radios etc.

THE FACTS:
-----------

Purchase + fitting
-----------------

It costs £199 and can be ordered online from a few places (ghc.co.uk, ihavetohave.it etc).
It can be fitted by Carphone Warehouse, incartoys.co.uk and other places.
It can be fitted with an active cradle so the iPod is displayed in the car and controlled directly.
Alternatively it can be fitted to a dock cable so the iPod can be hidden away (glovebox, armrest etc).

Compatibility
------------

It works on COMAND 2.0 CD based units (not sure about other radio kits) but won't show ID3 album/track data. However it will show some info (explain later).

Operation
---------

The Icelink makes the iPod mimick a 6 CD changer. To get this to work so you can use the steering wheel controls you need to create 6 playlists in iTunes.
Then you can hide the iPod away in the glovebox or armrest and control the playlists and tracks. The first playlist maps to the first CD etc. I have been told that you can have an unlimited songs within each playlist.

COMAND and the instrument cluster will show CD1 Track3 etc etc.

However if you operated the iPod manually and selected a particular album then there would be no display on the COMAND or instrument cluster.

Future updates
--------------

Dension are providing an update in the future which will show the ID3 data but I am sure there is still the limit to using the 6 playlists to provide the functionality in the car.

The exciting new screenlink system is being trialled in four weeks. It
uses the A/V aux inputs of the COMAND to display a browser on the nav
screen. I have no further detail on it.

Conclusion
----------

In my opinion the best set up if you decided to go for the Icelink as it is now is to have it wired into your armrest so you can hide the iPod in there.

Then you have the best of both worlds - you can use the six playlists and therefore steering wheel controls and if you get stuck and want to listen to something else you can open the armrest and use the wheel on the iPod to select the album you want (but then get no display on COMAND or cluster).

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom