iconic photograph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve been huge Beatles fan since I was young.

Everytime a school project came along I chose the Beatles and I’ve done all the Beatles sights up in Liverpool including the Cavern Club.

In the summer of 2019 we saw The Bootleg Beatles at Kenwood. (Brilliantly supported by The Lightning Seeds)

Reactions: 219
I find it easier just to count the pegs!

Anyone else tried to play a guitar with Bert Weedon's "Play in a Day"? I got as far as Bobby Shaftoe, but learned to copy guitar riffs by trial and error.
I had the Bert Weedon book as well, I only got back into playing a few years back, "The Shadows" being my inspiration. I did a concert for the neighbours to keep them entertained during lockdown a few weeks ago, and it's now become a weekly event (weather permitting).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

wrt Ringo Starr, I would rate him as one of, if not THE luckiest man who has ever lived.

Why? Some of the world's best and busiest session drummers are big fans of Ringo's playing - including Jim Keltner and the amazing Greg Bisonette. Ringo got the gig with the Beatles because he was a great drummer. He more than paid his dues in the 1960's and he's still touring with his own all-star band.

I always wondered if the inevitable ravages of age would be a greater problem for drummers due to the sheer physical demands of playing their "instrument" in comparison with say a guitar player🤔- the phrase "repetitive strain injury" comes to mind- luck of the draw perhaps? 😎

I always wondered if the inevitable ravages of age would be a greater problem for drummers due to the sheer physical demands of playing their "instrument" in comparison with say a guitar player🤔- the phrase "repetitive strain injury" comes to mind- luck of the draw perhaps? 😎

Carpal tunnel syndrome?

Why the inverted commas around “instrument”, may I ask? Much music would be spoiled by there being no drums or percussion.

Our church band’s lineup (I play bass) is on a rota basis, and because we have fewer drummers than say guitarists or keyboard players, we sometimes have to play with no drummer, and the difference is very marked at times.

You got the wrong end of the stick/s ;) I used the term "instrument " simply because a drummer usually has several pieces of percussion kit to play rather than a single unit like a guitar- no slight intended :oops: but I could have put it better I guess?

Why the inverted commas around “instrument”, may I ask? Much music would be spoiled by there being no drums or percussion.

Our church band’s lineup (I play bass) is on a rota basis, and because we have fewer drummers than say guitarists or keyboard players, we sometimes have to play with no drummer, and the difference is very marked at times.

There's a good 'muso' joke waiting in there. All we need is the muso to play it!

You got the wrong end of the stick/s ;) I used the term "instrument " simply because a drummer usually has several pieces of percussion kit to play rather than a single unit like a guitar- no slight intended :oops: but I could have put it better I guess?
Sorry, but I was a semi-pro drummer years ago, before seeing sense, and changed to an instrument that didn’t take hours to set up/down..........

I wonder if he ever played with Madonna ? Madge , reputedly , was quite a capable drummer ...

Ringo gets a lot of stick about his drumming but he improved year-on-year.
Anyone listening to his work on Abbey Road, for example would never have thought that the drummer held the rest of the band back.

No-one ever listened to a Beatles track and thought "I really want to like them, but that drummer just ruins it for me"...

As many have said, he was the Heart of the band.

I thought it was Klaus Voroman who got them to change their haircuts, and of course, change the world....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom