I'd Like To Lounge Please........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
View attachment 38404http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/editor/attach.gifMercedes E63 AMG Estate (2011) long-term test review
By the CAR road test team
Long Term Tests
04 October 2011 10:00

Goodbye to our E63 Estate – 4 October 2011

So, it’s all over; the best, most complete, most satisfying car I’ve ever owned is returning to Mercedes. I’ve loved the look, the comfort, the performance, the practicality, the lairy chassis, the main dealer aftersales service.

There’s only been one niggle: I’ve not always been convinced by the gearbox’s Comfort and Sport modes, because if you select Comfort the car is noticeably more refined out of junctions (because it stays in second, rather than jolting into the short first gear), but it’s too lethargic when you want to overtake; and if you select Sport you get sparkier gearshifts, but also that uncomfortable jolt at junctions. If I remember to select Comfort at a junction, I invariably forget to select Sport by the time I come to overtake. Then again, some people live in North Korea.

Mercedes supplied the car with a new set of boots all round when I got the E63 at 6590 miles, and now, at 17,505 miles, they’re absolutely shot. I was generally well behaved, but a few skids for photographer Mark Fagelson probably took a couple of thousand miles out of them in the first week.

Other signs of wear are few and far between. The Alcantara on the steering wheel is just starting to get a little worn and shiny where my thumb rubs against it, and the leather on the outer edge of the driver’s seat is showing the very, very early signs of wear – although I actually quite like that; it’s slightly cosier somehow. But for all my two-year-old’s kicking, the front seatbacks refuse to wear.

How much E63 owners care about running costs, I’m not exactly sure, but as petrol prices crept up I ended up spending £100 every 300 miles, and the cost-per-mile including depreciation has been £3.17, or 29.6p without.

I can’t justify those kind of figures, but if you can you’re in for a very good thing indeed. E63, you will be missed.

By Ben Barry

Did you know? could be good for a bit of bargaining if not.

Attachments

• 83MercedesBenzE63AMGEstatelongtermtest.jpg
    83MercedesBenzE63AMGEstatelongtermtest.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 38404http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/editor/attach.gifMercedes E63 AMG Estate (2011) long-term test review
By the CAR road test team
Long Term Tests
04 October 2011 10:00

Goodbye to our E63 Estate – 4 October 2011

So, it’s all over; the best, most complete, most satisfying car I’ve ever owned is returning to Mercedes. I’ve loved the look, the comfort, the performance, the practicality, the lairy chassis, the main dealer aftersales service.

There’s only been one niggle: I’ve not always been convinced by the gearbox’s Comfort and Sport modes, because if you select Comfort the car is noticeably more refined out of junctions (because it stays in second, rather than jolting into the short first gear), but it’s too lethargic when you want to overtake; and if you select Sport you get sparkier gearshifts, but also that uncomfortable jolt at junctions. If I remember to select Comfort at a junction, I invariably forget to select Sport by the time I come to overtake. Then again, some people live in North Korea.

Mercedes supplied the car with a new set of boots all round when I got the E63 at 6590 miles, and now, at 17,505 miles, they’re absolutely shot. I was generally well behaved, but a few skids for photographer Mark Fagelson probably took a couple of thousand miles out of them in the first week.

Other signs of wear are few and far between. The Alcantara on the steering wheel is just starting to get a little worn and shiny where my thumb rubs against it, and the leather on the outer edge of the driver’s seat is showing the very, very early signs of wear – although I actually quite like that; it’s slightly cosier somehow. But for all my two-year-old’s kicking, the front seatbacks refuse to wear.

How much E63 owners care about running costs, I’m not exactly sure, but as petrol prices crept up I ended up spending £100 every 300 miles, and the cost-per-mile including depreciation has been £3.17, or 29.6p without.

I can’t justify those kind of figures, but if you can you’re in for a very good thing indeed. E63, you will be missed.

By Ben Barry

Did you know? could be good for a bit of bargaining if not.

Certainly did know - and I've spoken to Ben (by email).

That's why the spec (as a Press car) is so mega.

Last edited:
Great looking car John, congratulations pal.

Hopefully the hearse Mark I will go to a good home and a member on here.

Once my lad (a rally mad teenager) saw a photo of Mikko in the drivers seat, he was hooked.

Well, that and the £580 red painted calipers :eek:, which you can just see in the shot.

82MercedesBenzE63AMGEstatelongtermtest redw.jpg

Found it for you,it's yours along with 3 others!

Where has the centre cap gone in your last photo on photobucket John?

Where has the centre cap gone in your last photo on photobucket John?

On my first visit to drive the car they had just put the wheels back on after a refurb.

Back on now - unlike the badges that I've asked them to replace, for Monday.

Last edited:
Very nice, looking forward to your pics some time next week...assuming you will be too excited to drive than take pictures. What are the chances of you getting your hands on the press car?

I had the same dilemma as last time Ian - I wouldn't have necessarily chosen the windows, but the spec is so strong, they weren't enough on their own for me to turn the car down.

How did martyz know your e63 is the car magazine test car ?

I think because my original post #1 contained the reg number.

developer215 said:
I think because my original post #1 contained the reg number.

That makes sense, for some reason some of your pictures refuse to load on my ipad including the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom